Skip to main content

OMG - Laguna Seca, Sonoma, 3 days of moto fun!

There are some advantages to owning a Yamaha...and the Yamaha Owner Appreciation Days at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca was a HUGE one!!! Not only did Yamaha team up with my favorite trackday provider, Zoom Zoom, but they also gave us Yamaha owners a screaming deal on the day ($100/day for Laguna Seca!); they managed a 105 decibel sound limit (almost unheard of at Laguna) and they paid for camping abilities overnight on Saturday night. Add in a great raffle and all the other perks of an absolutely amazing weekend, and it was epic.

Saturday was my first trackday back out since my THill round, and it was my first time at this legendary track. I also had not done my homework, so basically went in rather blind. After my second session out I had come to the momentary decision that I hated the track. It was fast and technical, yet I may as well have been dragging a freaking anchor for how slow I was going. I was struggling with lines big time, and was making sure everything was working okay on the bike. Finally a friend gave me a little tow around the track and that at least helped me figure out where the heck I wanted to be. I started to pick up a little speed as the day went on, but still felt like I was fighting the track most of the way around it...the amusing thing was that the few parts I found easier were the parts others I talked to were struggling with and vice versa.

That night we got to partake of the infamous Z2 cookout, and I enjoyed an evening hanging at the track with new and old riding buddies. This hanging out period proved to be useful to my riding as well, however, when I happened upon an impromptu body positioning discussion that Shawn Reilly was giving another rider. Yet again, as seems to be the case with my little pea-brain, he described the upper body movement in a way that made the light bulb go off. Another ah-ha moment for me. I camped that night in with my friend Mary-Ann in the trailer that hauled my stuff down, and slept like a rock.

We were greeted with yet another amazingly beautiful day on Sunday morning. Early on I grabbed an instructor and got some serious help with lines and where to place myself on the track. This vastly improved my day, and by the end I was feeling a lot more confident. I also spent a fair bit of time trying out the "new" body positioning, and although it was different for me, it got me over a hump I'd been struggling with since I started - how to really get my upper body off the bike the way I know it should be. Granted, this meant I was, yet again, trying to implement several changes at once, but I ended the Laguna trip feeling good and looking forward to my coming day at my favorite track, Sonoma Raceway.

I caught a ride from Laguna to Sonoma with Jason Hauns from JPH Suspension If you ever need your suspension set up, or think you might, or have never had it done, I highly recommend JPH - he did a great job on my own bike, and is passionate about what he's doing. Spent another night at the track and in the morning met my Curve Unit sisters Amy and Patty A, along with some other BARF friends for the third day of moto fun in my weekend.

The track was super slick the first session out - even going SUPER slow my tires were slipping a bit so I was not going to pick up the pace. Second session it started to feel better, and by the last morning session I was feeling like it was fairly normal. Had some feedback on a few lines to fix and a couple things to work on, and went into the afternoon with a plan in mind. Unfortunately early on in the afternoon the instructor I was working with had a mishap so I spent a couple sessions figuring things out for myself. Deciding that wasn't accomplishing much I went up and requested an instructor, and Shawn Reilly offered to take me out and work on some things. His feedback was great - cleaned up (and hence sped up) several corners for me, namely 3, 7, 9/10 and 11. I was still struggling with 2 by the end of the day, but the few times I hit a decent line made it more tolerable. With the line adjustment I went from liking to loving 7, and fixing 3 allowed me to close big gaps coming into 4. I had one more session after that to really work these things and left feeling like I was pretty much back to being myself on a bike at track pace again.

Overall it was a legendary weekend. I had a blast, learned a TON, and felt like I will be ready for my NRS the end of November. One more trackday at Sonoma, then I'm off to THill to do the NRS!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WERA Cycle Jam - Road Atlanta - May, 2024

Road Atlanta rapidly became my favorite track on the east coast thus far. Even though I've only been there a few times, I was excited to head out there on a race weekend and see if racing lit more of a fire under my tail.  This track has tons of elevation, is extremely fast, and has a nice variety of corners with opportunities to catch a breath or two in between. All things I love after "growing up" on the northern California tracks. Coming in to the weekend I was excited, but also a bit nervous. I have never raced here, none the less at Cycle Jam which brings in a ton of riders and overflows the entire paddock, shelf, and beyond. I knew my times here were still slow, but if I found a little time I wouldn't be dead last - there are some fast people around here, but figured another couple seconds would at least give me some good battles. Coming in, I had some specific goals outside of just have fun - I wanted to work on some of the feedback I had gotten at the end of t...

WERA Roebling Road March 2021 - Ya Win Some, Ya Lose Some.....

 ....and sometimes you do both within half a lap. But that's not how the weekend started. Making races this year was looking very hit and miss, but with RIDERZLAW continuing their title sponsorship, a few rounds were not outside the realm of possibility; as finances were working out, I set up to head to Roebling Road, one of only 2 tracks I made it to last year for a race. I was excited to see if a) mentally I was back to a better place and b) to finally race a familiar track. Friday practice went smoothly, and by the end of the day I was feeling very comfortable at my previous pace, and could tell I had a lot left in me. Issue was, I still wasn't nailing the entire track - parts of it, but there were a couple places that still needed to come together for me, turns 1 and 5 in particular. Saturday I had a fairly early race with Formula 1 - with not even so much as a trackday since last September, it took me the better part of 2+ laps to "remember" I was racing, not jus...

AFM Round 3, 2016 – Race Report – Thunderhill Raceway

Ever since the completion of Round 2 I was looking forward to getting back out to the track. With only one possible track weekend in between, which I wasn’t able to make for a few reasons, it was feeling like a rather long dry spell even though it was only about a month. I was able to get packed up and loaded the little RiderzLaw truck up early enough on Friday that I arrived to the track around 3:00pm and was able to start setting up the pit in the area another friend had saved for our group. Bike seemed happy, I was feeling relatively good, and it was looking like a warm, but tolerable, weekend. I was excited. Friday night involved a lot of socializing as we all caught up and started the smack talk. Eventually I crawled into bed, but the wind continued to blow. It kept me from really falling asleep as I worried about the canopies we had set up, and eventually I crawled out of the tent and took down the canopy. In the dark. In the wind. I went back to bed only to have the flappin...