Skip to main content

2014 is Here!

While the race season for me is still a little ways off, the preparations have seriously began. I ended 2013 with a very strong desire for a newer bike - still far from needing a fancy bike, but something a little newer that worked a little better with my riding was becoming more of a need if I wanted even a remote chance of being competitive.

This had me perusing the classifieds in search of "the" bike that fit what I wanted. Of course, my heart was kind of set on the Triumph 675 after riding my pit neighbor's last November, but I was open to looking at others, but either way I was not in a rush as I saved up my pennies. While looking through BARF's sale section, I happened across an ad for basically the exact bike I was dreaming of, in the price range I was hoping for. A 2007 Triumph Daytona 675. Oooooh. On a "hey, what's the worst that could happen" whim, I PMed the seller and explained my situation. As it turned out, he was more than happy to work with me!

Long story short, look what came home with me :)

My biggest concern was that this bike was set up as a standard shift - I've been riding GP shift for years, and have a VERY strong preference for it on track especially. Asking around initially everything said it couldn't be done, but a little digging after a few juicy tidbits where people had supposedly managed it, and I found a thread describing how to convert it with the OEM rearsets. Took me a few minutes to find the happy spot for everything, but I made it work and took her out for a test spin down the street to see if it worked in action, and it's awesome! Woohoo!! $400+ saved there for the time being!

Of course in order to test this I had to pop it up through at least a couple gears - and OMG, I'm SO in love with the power on this bike! Bwahahahaha! It pulls hard, but smooth, powerful but manageable. *giggle giggle*

I'm in lurv!!

This will definitely make the 2014 season far more exciting! My plan is to hit up a couple trackdays before Round 2 and get used to the bike, get it dialed in and make sure I know what it likes and the nuances of riding it. I'm SO friggin' excited right now!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WERA Cycle Jam - Road Atlanta - May, 2024

Road Atlanta rapidly became my favorite track on the east coast thus far. Even though I've only been there a few times, I was excited to head out there on a race weekend and see if racing lit more of a fire under my tail.  This track has tons of elevation, is extremely fast, and has a nice variety of corners with opportunities to catch a breath or two in between. All things I love after "growing up" on the northern California tracks. Coming in to the weekend I was excited, but also a bit nervous. I have never raced here, none the less at Cycle Jam which brings in a ton of riders and overflows the entire paddock, shelf, and beyond. I knew my times here were still slow, but if I found a little time I wouldn't be dead last - there are some fast people around here, but figured another couple seconds would at least give me some good battles. Coming in, I had some specific goals outside of just have fun - I wanted to work on some of the feedback I had gotten at the end of t...

WERA Roebling Road March 2021 - Ya Win Some, Ya Lose Some.....

 ....and sometimes you do both within half a lap. But that's not how the weekend started. Making races this year was looking very hit and miss, but with RIDERZLAW continuing their title sponsorship, a few rounds were not outside the realm of possibility; as finances were working out, I set up to head to Roebling Road, one of only 2 tracks I made it to last year for a race. I was excited to see if a) mentally I was back to a better place and b) to finally race a familiar track. Friday practice went smoothly, and by the end of the day I was feeling very comfortable at my previous pace, and could tell I had a lot left in me. Issue was, I still wasn't nailing the entire track - parts of it, but there were a couple places that still needed to come together for me, turns 1 and 5 in particular. Saturday I had a fairly early race with Formula 1 - with not even so much as a trackday since last September, it took me the better part of 2+ laps to "remember" I was racing, not jus...

AFM Round 3, 2016 – Race Report – Thunderhill Raceway

Ever since the completion of Round 2 I was looking forward to getting back out to the track. With only one possible track weekend in between, which I wasn’t able to make for a few reasons, it was feeling like a rather long dry spell even though it was only about a month. I was able to get packed up and loaded the little RiderzLaw truck up early enough on Friday that I arrived to the track around 3:00pm and was able to start setting up the pit in the area another friend had saved for our group. Bike seemed happy, I was feeling relatively good, and it was looking like a warm, but tolerable, weekend. I was excited. Friday night involved a lot of socializing as we all caught up and started the smack talk. Eventually I crawled into bed, but the wind continued to blow. It kept me from really falling asleep as I worried about the canopies we had set up, and eventually I crawled out of the tent and took down the canopy. In the dark. In the wind. I went back to bed only to have the flappin...