Skip to main content

Once You Go Track...



It seemed like it took forever, but the track season has finally recommenced for Honey Badger Racing. Returning to Sonoma Raceway, a track that I have not had much time on the past couple years, it was great to get the chance to blow the dust off and enjoy a beautiful day doing what I love.

To make life easier I arrived Friday evening and set up most of my pit space then settled in for a slightly chilly sleep. The dawn broke bright and clear with promises of a beautiful day in store for all of us. Sunshine and a very light breeze lived up to the promises of the morning. Since I had not ridden the Triumph since the last race round in October, I knew the first part of the day would be spent just getting everything set up where I wanted it. I had made a number of changes to the bike over the winter, so priority number one was getting everything adjusted to where I wanted it.

I spent three sessions doing just this, getting at most 2 laps in before pulling in to adjust some other little thing. Basically, the entire morning and then some was spent getting all the adjustments completed, but eventually I had things where I could live with them. I finally had the chance to go out and really begin working on my big “next step” project of working on my braking. After doing a fair bit of studying and reading on fastersafer.com, I had managed a couple of “ah-ha” moments in understanding braking. The way Ken and Nick were explaining it finally made it click in my mind...mostly because they were very specific about when and where your attention was needed, and why you needed to do what, when. Rather than the only other advice I’d gotten of “Brake harder!” “Be smooth!” “Brake harder smoothly!” their advice was FAR more specific, dealing with the first and last 5% of our braking, how that applies to going faster, and how that is what can make or break good braking performance. The other aspect was finding brake release points – every other time I can recall braking being discussed it was ALWAYS about where you START braking – not where you are releasing that final 5%. Sure, instructors would talk about trail braking and trail braking deeply, but I don’t ever recall someone having me think about braking from the final release point backwards. 

I’ve been trying to implement the 5% rule on the street since I got the information, so was excited to start putting it into play on the track. Combining that with getting used to my upgraded rear suspension and trying to find good release points my attention abilities were pretty maxed out. Speed was not the concern here, but those items were (all of which will translate to speed at some point). 

My first full on track session was spent on getting the dust blown of myself and getting back into track mode instead of street mode. The next session after that I went out to really continue working on my exercises with a fair bit of success. Even with a combined A/B group (meaning B group traffic) and so much of my focus on what I was working on, I actually still got down to the times I had been at last year at the one race in October that I had been to at Sonoma. While nothing to brag about, I found that rather acceptable for the day.

My final session wasn’t as productive as by this point I was just plain old tired. I tried picking up the pace for a bit but caught myself making a couple small mistakes so just backed off and focused back on the things I needed to.

Overall, it was a good start to the track season and at least got the dust blown off before Round 1!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WERA Cycle Jam - Road Atlanta - May, 2024

Road Atlanta rapidly became my favorite track on the east coast thus far. Even though I've only been there a few times, I was excited to head out there on a race weekend and see if racing lit more of a fire under my tail.  This track has tons of elevation, is extremely fast, and has a nice variety of corners with opportunities to catch a breath or two in between. All things I love after "growing up" on the northern California tracks. Coming in to the weekend I was excited, but also a bit nervous. I have never raced here, none the less at Cycle Jam which brings in a ton of riders and overflows the entire paddock, shelf, and beyond. I knew my times here were still slow, but if I found a little time I wouldn't be dead last - there are some fast people around here, but figured another couple seconds would at least give me some good battles. Coming in, I had some specific goals outside of just have fun - I wanted to work on some of the feedback I had gotten at the end of t...

WERA Roebling Road March 2021 - Ya Win Some, Ya Lose Some.....

 ....and sometimes you do both within half a lap. But that's not how the weekend started. Making races this year was looking very hit and miss, but with RIDERZLAW continuing their title sponsorship, a few rounds were not outside the realm of possibility; as finances were working out, I set up to head to Roebling Road, one of only 2 tracks I made it to last year for a race. I was excited to see if a) mentally I was back to a better place and b) to finally race a familiar track. Friday practice went smoothly, and by the end of the day I was feeling very comfortable at my previous pace, and could tell I had a lot left in me. Issue was, I still wasn't nailing the entire track - parts of it, but there were a couple places that still needed to come together for me, turns 1 and 5 in particular. Saturday I had a fairly early race with Formula 1 - with not even so much as a trackday since last September, it took me the better part of 2+ laps to "remember" I was racing, not jus...

AFM Round 3, 2016 – Race Report – Thunderhill Raceway

Ever since the completion of Round 2 I was looking forward to getting back out to the track. With only one possible track weekend in between, which I wasn’t able to make for a few reasons, it was feeling like a rather long dry spell even though it was only about a month. I was able to get packed up and loaded the little RiderzLaw truck up early enough on Friday that I arrived to the track around 3:00pm and was able to start setting up the pit in the area another friend had saved for our group. Bike seemed happy, I was feeling relatively good, and it was looking like a warm, but tolerable, weekend. I was excited. Friday night involved a lot of socializing as we all caught up and started the smack talk. Eventually I crawled into bed, but the wind continued to blow. It kept me from really falling asleep as I worried about the canopies we had set up, and eventually I crawled out of the tent and took down the canopy. In the dark. In the wind. I went back to bed only to have the flappin...