Skip to main content

CMRA Round 5, 2019 – MSR Cresson CW – Moving Up in the World


Rolling into the 5th round for the CMRA I had a bit more time to prepare than I had for Round 4. I had a trackday going the same direction a week before, which gave me time to work on getting lines established on this rather technical track. 

MSR Cresson presents some new challenges to this California rider. It is bumpy, and there are bad seams in various places on the track. This means that the “lines” are not necessarily the “best” line, but the ones that are the fastest race line around all of the extra challenges in the surface of the track. Granted, everyone is on the same track, and apparently these bumps and seams have been there, well, forever, but when I was used to maybe one or two corners where you had to take those kinds of things into account, it was now pretty much every single corner that had some extraneous considerations.

I decided to save a few bucks and only do ½ day on Friday to refresh my memory. Some dumb-dumb, who shall remain nameless, decided that even though her set up was working great the previous Sunday that she should change things before the races. Needless to say, Friday’s sessions were nothing but frustration as I was fighting the bike the whole time. I managed to go a little faster than I had the previous weekend, but it was stressful and mistake ridden, and it was all I could do to make it happen. After a strict reminder of “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” from my friend/pit help/coach, I put things back where they had been for the following day when I would have one brief practice before heading out for my first race of the weekend.


It was a late night, but sleep was had, and we arrived bright and early ready to kick off my second race weekend with CMRA. For some fantastically magical reason, the bike was working great during my warm up practice session, and I looked forward to gridding up and hopefully getting drug into some faster laps.

We headed out for the A Superstock race, and with how CMRA lines up their grids, I looked forward to being able to use my generally pretty good starts to hopefully put me in the mix of things a bit more. My launch wasn’t very good – for a split second my brain reverted to watching for a flag instead of the lights, so I was a bit off the mark, but still got up with a number of other bikes by the time we got to the first corner – and boy was there some drama going on! Thankfully managed to avoid all the slicing and dicing and kept my wheels on pavement, unlike some of my fellow competitors. After that it was time to settle into the race and try to see if I could work on improving my position in the pack. The first couple laps managed to get drug along with the group a bit and dropped my times into the 26’s, providing my best lap of the race. My fitness eventually proved to be a major hinderance as I started to fade about mid-way through the race. My last two laps I really faded off only to get passed by the front runner with about 1/3 of a lap to go – fortunately or unfortunately, it wasn’t all bad as I was pooped!

I came in to find I had moved up the pack a little bit though, with 3 riders behind me + one crashed bike, so that part felt great. I looked forward to Sunday and hoping I could pull out some more speed.



First up on Sunday was A Superbike – generally one of the faster classes, and I wanted to get a good launch and see if I could avoid getting lapped this time around on this short track. My start was good this time, and I did my best to hang onto the faster group as long as I could, dipping into the 25’s. Once again, however, my fitness (or lack thereof) combined with the heat, and I just couldn’t maintain that pace. I stayed pretty consistent in the 26’s-27’s, and did not get lapped, which meant finishing all 8 laps. 

I came in exhausted, but I was pretty stoked to find that with the start, my fight, or “rawr” as I like to call it, seemed to be coming back. Not fully fledged out yet, but that was something I had lost after the leg and bike situations, and I was beginning to wonder what it would take to get it back. Finding that I fought through the start, held my spot, and didn’t just give up to other riders was a great feeling. 



Honestly, that was probably my highlight for the weekend.

After that there was a long, hot wait until my last race, which was also the very last race of the day – F40 Heavy. I really hoped the downtime would let me recover and that I could keep my motivation up to push through for a final improvement.

Being the old-farts race, I had hopes here of fighting for something more, but my lack of training off the bike bit me big time. I was 1-2 seconds off my pace earlier in the day and couldn’t seem to dig more than that out of myself. Some defensive lines kept me from last place, but I was once again fighting for “not last” rather than moving up through the pack. I finished, but this race mostly proved that only a couple weeks of getting back to being more active and working out wasn’t going to make much of a difference yet and I had a long way to go before next year rolls around.



Overall, the round wasn’t bad. I got a valuable “slap in the face” on a few things that I need to correct as a rider. First off, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Secondly, that fitness thing needs to be ramped up and is going to start being one of the big factors holding me back if I don’t correct it NOW. Thirdly, this bike can work for me, when it’s set up right. If I’m not happy with it, even if I can’t put my finger on it, speak up and say something. Someone else may have a clue what the issue is. 

Good things were a) I moved up in the pack a teensy bit, and I had some fun; b) I’m getting better on the throttle – where 600’s could beat me in straights/faster sections at the California tracks (where my perception of time was throwing me off), here, that is not the issue, and the other liter bikes have to work to get around me (and it’s generally the technical areas where they have to do it). As these pieces all start to fall into place, and I’m getting them lined up where they need to be, the puzzle is coming together…

The weeks before the next round are being spent working my butt off in the gym, getting my eating focused, and keeping other activities going so my body starts to get used to the idea of being active again rather than sitting around all the time. 

Next round happens soon, so no excuses!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WERA Cycle Jam - Road Atlanta - May, 2024

Road Atlanta rapidly became my favorite track on the east coast thus far. Even though I've only been there a few times, I was excited to head out there on a race weekend and see if racing lit more of a fire under my tail.  This track has tons of elevation, is extremely fast, and has a nice variety of corners with opportunities to catch a breath or two in between. All things I love after "growing up" on the northern California tracks. Coming in to the weekend I was excited, but also a bit nervous. I have never raced here, none the less at Cycle Jam which brings in a ton of riders and overflows the entire paddock, shelf, and beyond. I knew my times here were still slow, but if I found a little time I wouldn't be dead last - there are some fast people around here, but figured another couple seconds would at least give me some good battles. Coming in, I had some specific goals outside of just have fun - I wanted to work on some of the feedback I had gotten at the end of t...

WERA Roebling Road March 2021 - Ya Win Some, Ya Lose Some.....

 ....and sometimes you do both within half a lap. But that's not how the weekend started. Making races this year was looking very hit and miss, but with RIDERZLAW continuing their title sponsorship, a few rounds were not outside the realm of possibility; as finances were working out, I set up to head to Roebling Road, one of only 2 tracks I made it to last year for a race. I was excited to see if a) mentally I was back to a better place and b) to finally race a familiar track. Friday practice went smoothly, and by the end of the day I was feeling very comfortable at my previous pace, and could tell I had a lot left in me. Issue was, I still wasn't nailing the entire track - parts of it, but there were a couple places that still needed to come together for me, turns 1 and 5 in particular. Saturday I had a fairly early race with Formula 1 - with not even so much as a trackday since last September, it took me the better part of 2+ laps to "remember" I was racing, not jus...

AFM Round 3, 2016 – Race Report – Thunderhill Raceway

Ever since the completion of Round 2 I was looking forward to getting back out to the track. With only one possible track weekend in between, which I wasn’t able to make for a few reasons, it was feeling like a rather long dry spell even though it was only about a month. I was able to get packed up and loaded the little RiderzLaw truck up early enough on Friday that I arrived to the track around 3:00pm and was able to start setting up the pit in the area another friend had saved for our group. Bike seemed happy, I was feeling relatively good, and it was looking like a warm, but tolerable, weekend. I was excited. Friday night involved a lot of socializing as we all caught up and started the smack talk. Eventually I crawled into bed, but the wind continued to blow. It kept me from really falling asleep as I worried about the canopies we had set up, and eventually I crawled out of the tent and took down the canopy. In the dark. In the wind. I went back to bed only to have the flappin...