Skip to main content

Back On The Grid! April 2024

WERA – Talladega Gran Prix – April 13-14, 2024

It’s been a hot minute since I’ve been on a grid. Between life “shitake,” trying to get my business going, essential gear backorders, and the puppy, I hadn’t been able to get on an actual grid for a couple years. Sure, a few trackdays in there, and plenty of miles in the north Georgia mountains, but actually gridding up, going on green, and battling to the checkered was an experience that was growing a bit dim.

Racing makes the rest of life boring.

Seriously.

That first flag this weekend for A Superstock, as we all launched into turn 1, “oh, ya, THIS IS RACING!!!!” was the thought that ran through my head.



I had no delusions of being a “front runner” unless the grid in a race was small. Other than the previous weekend with Precision, I hadn’t been to Tally in over 2 years, and have never had brag worthy laptimes. My goals were to drop a little more time off my times there, and I had a “reasonable stretch” goal in mind. With Tally being so small, I figured ~-2 seconds would be a good goal to hit. I hoped that would give me some other folks to battle with as well.

Plans worked well, and I found a couple new “battle buddies” including another expert in the A classes who I had a couple fun battles with. While we weren’t usually fighting for a trophy, it was fun to have another rider at a similar enough pace where we could start to push each other a little bit, remember “race craft” and feel comfortable getting cozy in a racing environment again. We had a couple very close finishes, including in the Sunday Open Superstock race when we had a .003 difference at the finish line!

Headed home with a couple trophies as well – 2nd place in Formula 1, and 2nd place in Senior Heavyweight (participation trophy LOL).

To top it all off, my final race I hit my stretch goals for the weekend and left the track feeling pretty good.

If you’ve been following me the past number of years, you’re aware that I’ve had struggles with my leg, the bike, and a variety of other life things. The leg is what it is by this point, and for the most part, doesn’t usually get in the way as long as I plan out my shifting well. Sorting out the bike was a many years struggle – transmission issues followed by setup and a lack of feedback out of the backend of the bike, all of which has been sorted out. Huge shout out to Mike Canfield and MCTech (seriously miss your face!) who’s helped me get this bike working for me.

This is the first race I’ve had on this bike where I was able and willing to push things a little bit, get outside of my comfort zone a little bit, try a few things on the bike, and NOT have it scare me. In fact, I’m starting to build a little trust in the machine now that it’s finally working “for me.” That trust is so huge to feeling comfortable to be uncomfortable, try some new things, and push myself a bit. Sometimes, you don’t realize what you didn’t have until after you have it, and finally getting that feedback has made a massive difference in my feelings after this past weekend.

My other sponsors have been integral as well. Of course, the best tires out there, and a company that goes out of their way to continue to support the sport, riders, and keep this sport alive in this country – Dunlop Racing – can’t say enough good about them! If you’re not sure what tires to run, give them a try! Street, track, racing, they’ve got a tire for you.

Chef Eatz helping me keep healthy, tasty meals available even when I’m on the road or in a pinch at home. Unlike most delivery services, the ingredients are top notch, not loaded with tons of sodium, and actually healthy. Bison and Helite are keeping my skin covered and safe, great fit, great looks, and they can be found at races most weekends. Amour Bodies providing the canvas for Epic Superbike Designs amazing work making Viserion look LEGIT. Vinny’s Speed Shop keeping us supplied in parts, tire changes, and general assistance – for all your mechanical and parts needs local to the area, give Vinny a call!

Next up on our schedule is Cycle Jam at my “2nd favorite” track in the country so far! If you’re in the area, come watch the races at Road Atlanta May 25-26!



@hotmess_racing


2024 Sponsors

@velocity_consulting_llc

@ridedunlop

@mctech

Vinny's Speed Shop

@epicsuperbikedesigns

@bison_track

@chefeatz

@woodcrafttechnologies

#girlswhorace #girlswhoride #sportbikegirl #weraracing #motorcycle #motorcycleracing #zx10r #kawasaki #1stphormathletesearch #duespaid #wedothework #bethe1 #legionofboom #iam1stphorm #1stphorm

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thunderhill Trackday - Smashing That PB!!

Lately I haven’t been doing too many blog updates in regards to trackdays – mostly because if I’m at the track, a fair bit of time is often spent instructing or I’m simply working on implementing feedback. This last day at the track, however, warrants a bit of a write up. After the last AFM round, Ken Hill ( khcoaching.com ) had watched my videos. I had been feeling pretty good about seeing sub-2 minute laptimes at Thunderhill, and was pretty stoked with the progress. Right up until Ken called and told me “we need to fix your braking. There’s 2 seconds to be had on your brakes.” Aw damn, I knew my braking needed work (that’s usually where I was getting passed), but I was a little doubtful about there being a full 2 seconds to find – but, I wasn’t going to argue with someone who does this with far better riders than myself, so we set up a plan to discuss some drills for my next day at the track. In addition, Catalyst Reaction Suspension had resprung my rear shock, so I was also

Summing It All Up - 2019-2021

Crashes, Bike Bits, and Confidence Backstory In early 2019 I thought I had finally turned a corner on my current bike, a 2017 ZX10R. The first AFM round of that year I went out and started dropping time like crazy, finally down to my previous personal best times at that track. The next round I showed up with high hopes, only to end up with an epic highside that launched me to the moon and over 50' before coming for a landing. For a very long time, I couldn't figure out what caused that to happen, and while I could come up with things that might have contributed, it didn't quite add up.  After that, however, a series of cross-country moves started taking place in my life, as did learning new tracks, new riders, new race organizations, new track providers - plus everything "normal" people deal with on major moves like that.   I made some progress over the remainder of 2019, slow, but saw improvements. 2020 saw ANOTHER cross country move to ANOTHER region of the US,