Skip to main content

First '12 Trackday - Infineon/aka Sear's Point Raceway



March 26th 2012. 

My first trackday of the summer, on a track I've only done one parade lap on - Sear's Point Raceway, aka Infineon. But I had shiny new slicks on my ZX10R, and was hyped up and ready to go. Since I didn't know the track at all I signed up for Z2's Novice Class C group. Missed 1/2 my first session because I had to get my tires back on the bike, and between the orientation class and waiting for them to get mounted, I ran out of time. But got out there for a bit anyways.

Second session, 2nd lap in I'm getting black flagged...okay, well I knew I hadn't done anything that bad, and since I had just had my bike apart, was thinking maybe I missed something and had some random bit flapping in the breeze so I pull off the track at a safe spot. And sit out the entire session....only to find that they had been flagging my friend who was behind me with her vest flapping wide open. GRRRRR. Two sessions down, and I've not even warmed up my tires! Let's just say she'll never live that one down.

Finally get a full session before lunch, which goes well. Getting a feel for the track, get some good feedback from an instructor, and feel prepared to kick it up a notch after lunch.

First after lunch session rolls out, and I start having some serious fun. Finally get both knees down (technically doesn't mean anything, but let's face it, we all want to do it), and am ripping it up. Come down the front straight - oh shit, started braking a bit to late, and toss my bike into Turn 1 while trying to do way too many things at once. My bike being what it is, figures this is intensely not fair, and I cause it to nearly high-side. Yes, nearly. Had a tiny voice in my head tell me to stay on the throttle, and a really loud voice screaming "DON'T FUCKING CRASH!!!!" It worked, I held on and finished the session without any other stupid moments. Only pulled one muscle, too.

After that session I was BEAT. I mean, I knew I was out of shape, but this was ridiculous. I couldn't hardly catch my breath, and I was tired. Seriously considered sitting out the next session, but my other friend (who had been in B group all day) wanted to come play with us girls, so she and I went to request that she be able to move down to C group. They laughed, and said that instead, they'd move me up to B group. Shaun said I wasn't playing nice anymore in C group lol.

So I decide to chill a bit again now that I'm worn out (after one session). Part way through I'm getting flagged - again! This time I'm figuring the corner workers thought I was in the wrong group, so I finally pull off, only to find that the guy thought my jacket was open due to where my vest sat on it. Um, no, but off to finish the session I go.

Work with another instructor the following session and get some more good feedback about my lines, body positioning, etc.

Final session of the day, Amy and I decide to go have some fun - I figure, it's the last session, who cares if I can barely walk afterwards, I'm going to have some fun again. Out we go. I'm behind her for awhile, one lap to be sure tires are warm, another just to follow her around, then I decided it was time to up the ante. Got a good chance to pass her on Turn 5 going into the carousel and I took it. On the video, it didn't take too long before I was pretty much out of site after that, although she did do a better job of navigating the 9 turns than I did.

Overall though, it was an amazing day. As usual I learned a ton, gained some skill, found some weaknesses, and mostly realized that my fat ass is TOTALLY out of shape!

So my goal between now and April 30th (my next track day, up at Thunderhill Raceway this time) is to whip my happy butt into shape, work on some of my actual physical weaknesses, and play around with body positioning when I am out in the canyons (no matter how silly it may look to be hanging way off when I don't need to). So off to the gym I go!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Back On The Grid! April 2024

WERA – Talladega Gran Prix – April 13-14, 2024 It’s been a hot minute since I’ve been on a grid. Between life “shitake,” trying to get my business going, essential gear backorders, and the puppy, I hadn’t been able to get on an actual grid for a couple years. Sure, a few trackdays in there, and plenty of miles in the north Georgia mountains, but actually gridding up, going on green, and battling to the checkered was an experience that was growing a bit dim. Racing makes the rest of life boring. Seriously. That first flag this weekend for A Superstock, as we all launched into turn 1, “oh, ya, THIS IS RACING!!!!” was the thought that ran through my head. I had no delusions of being a “front runner” unless the grid in a race was small. Other than the previous weekend with Precision, I hadn’t been to Tally in over 2 years, and have never had brag worthy laptimes. My goals were to drop a little more time off my times there, and I had a “reasonable stretch” goal in mind. With Tally being so

Summing It All Up - 2019-2021

Crashes, Bike Bits, and Confidence Backstory In early 2019 I thought I had finally turned a corner on my current bike, a 2017 ZX10R. The first AFM round of that year I went out and started dropping time like crazy, finally down to my previous personal best times at that track. The next round I showed up with high hopes, only to end up with an epic highside that launched me to the moon and over 50' before coming for a landing. For a very long time, I couldn't figure out what caused that to happen, and while I could come up with things that might have contributed, it didn't quite add up.  After that, however, a series of cross-country moves started taking place in my life, as did learning new tracks, new riders, new race organizations, new track providers - plus everything "normal" people deal with on major moves like that.   I made some progress over the remainder of 2019, slow, but saw improvements. 2020 saw ANOTHER cross country move to ANOTHER region of the US,

Thunderhill Trackday - Smashing That PB!!

Lately I haven’t been doing too many blog updates in regards to trackdays – mostly because if I’m at the track, a fair bit of time is often spent instructing or I’m simply working on implementing feedback. This last day at the track, however, warrants a bit of a write up. After the last AFM round, Ken Hill ( khcoaching.com ) had watched my videos. I had been feeling pretty good about seeing sub-2 minute laptimes at Thunderhill, and was pretty stoked with the progress. Right up until Ken called and told me “we need to fix your braking. There’s 2 seconds to be had on your brakes.” Aw damn, I knew my braking needed work (that’s usually where I was getting passed), but I was a little doubtful about there being a full 2 seconds to find – but, I wasn’t going to argue with someone who does this with far better riders than myself, so we set up a plan to discuss some drills for my next day at the track. In addition, Catalyst Reaction Suspension had resprung my rear shock, so I was also