Skip to main content

RFR Double-Header


Reno-Fernley Raceway. Let’s see: porta-potties, wild horses (dodge the horse apples on the track), bunnies and tumbleweeds. Oh, ya, and a racetrack with a ton of corners, elevation changes, rough pavement that feels like your bike made love to a jackhammer and the first track where a fair number of my reference points ended up being tar snakes.

I trailer pooled up with another one of my Curve Unit sisters, and we met up with our Prez in Sacramento and drove the rest of the way in a mini caravan. Around 7pm Friday night we rolled into RFR and I got my first glimpse of this rustic track. Dropped the trailers, and then got a pre-trackday Suburban tour of the track courtesy of Shawn and Kathy Reilly. My biggest impression? There’s a lot of freaking track to try to remember. After our little ride we headed into town for some (surprisingly rather good) all-you-can-eat sushi at Sushi Moto before heading to our hotel to crash for the night.

Saturday dawned bright and early, if not a bit on the cool side. After a nice continental breakfast, off to RFR we went. Unloaded, and pitted up with the wind already picking up, we ended up forgoing the pop-up shade since they would have turned into nothing but big kites even with cement buckets attached. I had signed up for C group for the day since it was my first day at that track, and I was (appropriately as it turns out) worried about getting “lost” on track. Rider’s meeting went normally, and we headed out to get ready for our first session, the lead follow. Yup, this track was gonna be tough.

Second session of the day rolls around and I head out. In part of the back area of the track I did indeed get lost. I had to slow and pop my head up to try and figure out where the hell I was and where the track was going. I had no idea where I was lol! One instructor follows me around a bit, mostly at this point I’m just trying to figure out where the heck I’m going.

As the day wears on and we move to 30 minute sessions (A and B groups got combined) I started to figure out where I was going and at one point ended up working with two instructors in on session. Shawn Reilly and Dan Sewell both kinda ended up tag-teaming me, each focusing on some different aspects. Returning to the pits, they made it a point to get with me and go into a very candid and clear discussion about some things I was doing very wrong – primarily, adding throttle while adding lean angle, and jamming that throttle down in the process. Ooops. I was a crash waiting to happen. Some body positioning things also were mentioned, big one being that I was crossing up and kinda diving with my (left especially) shoulder rather than turning my shoulder into the direction of travel properly.

Next session out I really tried to implement their suggestions – of course, this meant slowing down quite significantly, but I had to break bad (and dangerous) habits.  I roll back into the pits after a slightly more correct but rather rough round, and David Ben-Jamin comes over and has a little discussion about what I had been doing. He made me sit there and articulate what I was doing out there (or what I should be doing) and although I hated it at the time (felt like a pop quiz and I hadn’t bothered reading the material yet) but it was good. I definitely see the benefit of it; I’m just not that great at being put on the spot.

Final session of the day and I’m still working on implementing all these things. My brain has enough to keep me busy, so slow was the name of the game. I was looking forward to being able to sleep on this and process – of course, AFTER the Saturday night double-header party which started up shortly after the day shut down. Good food, good friends, good times and a little more feedback and eventually we crawled off to bed. Ah the memories ;)

Day 2 dawned and we packed up our hotel room and headed off to the track after some breakfast. Nursing a minor headache and plenty of body aches from the day (and night) before there was plenty of moaning and groaning getting on the bikes, but I was ready to get out there. My brain had finally had the chance to organize everything, and I wanted to put it into practice. I was signed up for B group for the day, and was looking forward to being with more predictable riders. Amy Snyder and I got to play around a little, and I found that I was able to start working through the kinks from the day before. Each session out I got a little smoother, a little faster, and more consistent. I found some better lines through certain corners, and when they combined the A and B groups at the 11 o’clock hour I got to see some of the fast guys and how they handled things compared to myself. Picked up some better lines, and just kept working on things.

One session I sat out, but other than that I made it out there for at least part of all of them. In one I had decided to pull out but a buddy was filming and suggested we go out to get some video – eh, not a good idea. Made a few stupid mistakes, and after 2 laps I pulled off before I made anymore. Unfortunately we didn’t hook up again the rest of the day when I had some really nice sessions. Bummer.

At the end of the day and while packing up I get a chance to chat with a couple of the instructors. They said I was running a fast B pace, and should seriously “consider” moving up into A group, even if I’m the slowest person out there, at least if I want to race. I can totally understand their reasoning – when you’re riding with the fast boys (and girls) it pushes you a little bit more. You also can see different ways of handling things, where to make up time, and pick up on a few tricks that you simply can’t get in the slower groups. Since I’m really, really hoping to squeak in at least one more (if not two more) trackday(s) between now and my next scheduled one (mostly dependant on finances) I will probably sign up for B and squeeze into A in the afternoon sessions. Give it a try that way before I go and sign up for A only to realize I’m just a rolling road block lol!

Overall, it was one hell of a weekend, and not one I will soon forget. I’m looking forward to going and watching the AFM races this coming weekend at Sear’s Point Raceway…maybe I’ll get some good tips, heck, may even go help out some new friends if they’re racing. The exposure would be good, just to get some first hand experience before I’m trying to do it myself.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Back On The Grid! April 2024

WERA – Talladega Gran Prix – April 13-14, 2024 It’s been a hot minute since I’ve been on a grid. Between life “shitake,” trying to get my business going, essential gear backorders, and the puppy, I hadn’t been able to get on an actual grid for a couple years. Sure, a few trackdays in there, and plenty of miles in the north Georgia mountains, but actually gridding up, going on green, and battling to the checkered was an experience that was growing a bit dim. Racing makes the rest of life boring. Seriously. That first flag this weekend for A Superstock, as we all launched into turn 1, “oh, ya, THIS IS RACING!!!!” was the thought that ran through my head. I had no delusions of being a “front runner” unless the grid in a race was small. Other than the previous weekend with Precision, I hadn’t been to Tally in over 2 years, and have never had brag worthy laptimes. My goals were to drop a little more time off my times there, and I had a “reasonable stretch” goal in mind. With Tally being so

Thunderhill Trackday - Smashing That PB!!

Lately I haven’t been doing too many blog updates in regards to trackdays – mostly because if I’m at the track, a fair bit of time is often spent instructing or I’m simply working on implementing feedback. This last day at the track, however, warrants a bit of a write up. After the last AFM round, Ken Hill ( khcoaching.com ) had watched my videos. I had been feeling pretty good about seeing sub-2 minute laptimes at Thunderhill, and was pretty stoked with the progress. Right up until Ken called and told me “we need to fix your braking. There’s 2 seconds to be had on your brakes.” Aw damn, I knew my braking needed work (that’s usually where I was getting passed), but I was a little doubtful about there being a full 2 seconds to find – but, I wasn’t going to argue with someone who does this with far better riders than myself, so we set up a plan to discuss some drills for my next day at the track. In addition, Catalyst Reaction Suspension had resprung my rear shock, so I was also

Summing It All Up - 2019-2021

Crashes, Bike Bits, and Confidence Backstory In early 2019 I thought I had finally turned a corner on my current bike, a 2017 ZX10R. The first AFM round of that year I went out and started dropping time like crazy, finally down to my previous personal best times at that track. The next round I showed up with high hopes, only to end up with an epic highside that launched me to the moon and over 50' before coming for a landing. For a very long time, I couldn't figure out what caused that to happen, and while I could come up with things that might have contributed, it didn't quite add up.  After that, however, a series of cross-country moves started taking place in my life, as did learning new tracks, new riders, new race organizations, new track providers - plus everything "normal" people deal with on major moves like that.   I made some progress over the remainder of 2019, slow, but saw improvements. 2020 saw ANOTHER cross country move to ANOTHER region of the US,