Skip to main content

AFM Round 2 - Sonoma Raceway

My first race weekend!!

I think I must have had "new racer syndrome" where I was scrambling at the last minute to get things ready to go, get the bike ready and generally just not getting any sleep. Up past 1 AM the night before, and finally managing to roll out to the track Saturday morning. I can deal with it, but I HATE last minute scrambles like that for stuff that I should have had together WAY before that....prefer to save my scrambles for the unforeseen!

Either way, made it to the track Saturday and with a HUGE amount of assistance from my AFM mentor, Rory Kamper, got registered, made it through tech, went to the rider's meeting and managed to get the bike ready. Eventually made it out for the second practice round for my group. That round felt good, made sure I was still solid on what I had worked on when I was out there on Wednesday for the 3J's trackday, and felt ready to put the final touches on my braking the next practice. Went out for the next practice and felt really good - doing MUCH better on the brakes, and was putting down solid times for my group. Obviously still a LONG ways to go before I'm remotely fast, but I felt good with what I was doing. Came in from that session feeling like I would peak the next time out, so decided to hold off till my race. Another racer friend, Carl Wassersleben, assisted most of the day as well, helping me out and answering other newb questions as they came up.

Eventually the races started, and I headed out for my AFemme Novice race! My first time out on a grid - I was trying to ignore the nerves/excitement, but that didn't work too well. The first wave went, then we were next! 2 board, 1 board, sideways, green flag!! I was slow on the start, so ended up last in the group. That first lap my head was firmly planted up where the sun doesn't shine, and I realized I needed to quite being so excited and just focus on riding. Pulled it out and had my head in the game by lap 2. Was dicing it up with another girl, trying to find a good place to pass in our third lap, wasn't finding one. Figured I could take her on the brakes into 7, but that ended up not working so well - she was taking a totally different line, and I did not quite set it up to account for that. She ended up swooping across me, I climbed on the binders but her rear tire still swiped the front of mine - but we both recovered just fine, no on lost a place, and no one crashed, so on with the race with a lesson learned on trying to pass on that particular corner!

Eventually managed a pass elsewhere, and was moving on to my 4th lap with at least a podium in mind - but as I was out of turn 6 headed into 7, had the bike mostly stood up, hit a ripple in the pavement and ended up with a full on tank slapper. I managed to ride it out, went for my brakes, nothing - oh, shit, that's right, when head shake that bad happens it will open the calipers - pumped them a few times quickly, and got my brakes back in time for the turn. Leaned the bike in and it just felt WEIRD....since there's a huge place to pull off there without getting in other racers lines, decided to make the prudent call, threw up an arm and pulled off. Didn't see anything immediately obvious, so took the back way to the pits. 

Once in the pits found that my front tire had rubbed up against the belly pan pretty bad - bad enough I'll be repairing the belly pan. Also found another issue with my triple clamps, which was probably what made everything feel so off. Either way, was very glad that I pulled out and listened to my gut on that one...bike and I both will live to race another day!

Unfortunately in those few laps and practice didn't quite manage to make a qualifying time for the 600 production, so figured my weekend was done. Needed to shave 1 whole second off, guessing if I hadn't had a mechanical that would have happened. Oh well, next time. Went back, packed up with the help of friends, then went to dinner with a few friends to relax and enjoy the evening. On Sunday, while driving up to drop off my bike and the truck, remembered that I could have bumped up a class - my times qualified me for the 750 classes!!! ARGH!!! I could have raced on Sunday! I kicked myself all the way back to the shop lol! Eh, guess I know for next time lol!

Overall, it was a good weekend, I had fun, met some cool people, learned a lot, and feel much more prepared for this next race. Racing is definitely a different world than trackdays, and I can hardly wait for my next taste of it! Now to get the bike set up and solid for next month's Round 3 at Thunderhill Raceway!

Thanks to my sponsors for making this happen! Carl Wassersleben; Dunlop Tires; Knyte Ryderz; Curve Unit; CT Racing.

And a huge thanks to the many people who have helped me out in the pits, getting ready, making it there, and being there to support! I couldn't have done it without all of you! 

Comments

  1. I cannot say enough times how proud I am of you to get this far THOUGH it was very obvious you would get this far easy enough! You make it look easy..and you REALLY should be wearing two tutus on Sept 9th since you not only surpassed A group, you are now a racer..that is 2 tutu worthy...green and purple?? :-)

    Have fun the rest of the season...get that plastic trophy, sis!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good on you for having the prescence of mind to know when you should drop out of a race for safety reasons despite being in the heat of the action. Very holistic of you!

    And I wouldn't worry too much about last-minute scrambling; pressure makes diamonds. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Back On The Grid! April 2024

WERA – Talladega Gran Prix – April 13-14, 2024 It’s been a hot minute since I’ve been on a grid. Between life “shitake,” trying to get my business going, essential gear backorders, and the puppy, I hadn’t been able to get on an actual grid for a couple years. Sure, a few trackdays in there, and plenty of miles in the north Georgia mountains, but actually gridding up, going on green, and battling to the checkered was an experience that was growing a bit dim. Racing makes the rest of life boring. Seriously. That first flag this weekend for A Superstock, as we all launched into turn 1, “oh, ya, THIS IS RACING!!!!” was the thought that ran through my head. I had no delusions of being a “front runner” unless the grid in a race was small. Other than the previous weekend with Precision, I hadn’t been to Tally in over 2 years, and have never had brag worthy laptimes. My goals were to drop a little more time off my times there, and I had a “reasonable stretch” goal in mind. With Tally being so

Thunderhill Trackday - Smashing That PB!!

Lately I haven’t been doing too many blog updates in regards to trackdays – mostly because if I’m at the track, a fair bit of time is often spent instructing or I’m simply working on implementing feedback. This last day at the track, however, warrants a bit of a write up. After the last AFM round, Ken Hill ( khcoaching.com ) had watched my videos. I had been feeling pretty good about seeing sub-2 minute laptimes at Thunderhill, and was pretty stoked with the progress. Right up until Ken called and told me “we need to fix your braking. There’s 2 seconds to be had on your brakes.” Aw damn, I knew my braking needed work (that’s usually where I was getting passed), but I was a little doubtful about there being a full 2 seconds to find – but, I wasn’t going to argue with someone who does this with far better riders than myself, so we set up a plan to discuss some drills for my next day at the track. In addition, Catalyst Reaction Suspension had resprung my rear shock, so I was also

Summing It All Up - 2019-2021

Crashes, Bike Bits, and Confidence Backstory In early 2019 I thought I had finally turned a corner on my current bike, a 2017 ZX10R. The first AFM round of that year I went out and started dropping time like crazy, finally down to my previous personal best times at that track. The next round I showed up with high hopes, only to end up with an epic highside that launched me to the moon and over 50' before coming for a landing. For a very long time, I couldn't figure out what caused that to happen, and while I could come up with things that might have contributed, it didn't quite add up.  After that, however, a series of cross-country moves started taking place in my life, as did learning new tracks, new riders, new race organizations, new track providers - plus everything "normal" people deal with on major moves like that.   I made some progress over the remainder of 2019, slow, but saw improvements. 2020 saw ANOTHER cross country move to ANOTHER region of the US,