Skip to main content

Back at the Track!

2014 track season has officially started for me! After making a few small modifications to the Triumph 675 (such as new brake pads and the switch to GP shift) I was ready to go. It worked out that Pacific Track Time had a trackday that worked with my schedule, so I signed up and got prepared. This was a Monday trackday, so I spent Saturday and Sunday prepping, packing and then Sunday afternoon picked up my carpool buddy and we headed up to Thunderhill.

Upon arrival, I went to see If I could sneak in for a baseline prior to Monday morning with Jason Hauns at JPH Suspension, my go-to suspension guy. I love his work, and have been VERY happy with the results. He had room, so I ran over and unloaded the bike, hooked up the battery, turned it on - and nothing. Well, almost nothing. I had backlights on my display, but that was it.Try to bump start it, but no go there. One of the very nice gate guys at THill lent me his battery charger to us, so, figuring that was the issue, threw the battery on the charger and let it sit for a bit. 

While it was sitting we set up pit and then went to walk the track after all the riding was done for the day. That was an interesting experience, definitely saw things in a slightly different light than you do just riding it!

Back at the pits, the battery was showing good, so I pulled it off the charger and back into the bike. Same thing happened this time. Um, not cool. That then turned into a flurry of testing, swapping, charging, jumping, etc until someone found a loose battery that we could test the bike with to completely rule out battery. Well, still had the same thing. Dammit! English electronics....off to plan B of troubleshooting this, but an initial search showed nothing. Unfortunately it was getting rather late by this point, and had been dark for sometime, so it was time to call it a night and attack it at first light in the morning.

Of course, I crawled into the Land Rover for some sleep with no luck as my mind was spinning about what this problem was. Google being your best friend, I pulled out a phone and did some digging. Finally I came across a couple threads in my forum where people had experienced this same issue, so I saved those pages and had a plan for the AM.

A few hours of sleep later, I woke to a cool, breezy morning. I pulled fairings off the bike, and started searching for some elusive fuses. Located those, and found that 2 of the fuses had blown - one for the turn signals the other for the headlights. Neither of which does this bike have, but the electronics on these bikes require the power to still go through the system in order to power up the gauge cluster which has to power up in order to allow power to the starting system. So, after replacing those, we were back in business!

Off to registration, tech and suspension for an initial set up. There we discovered the steering head was loose, so back to the pits I tore that down to check the bearing, which seemed okay but everything had been loose, so tightened it all down and it seemed fine. Finally, I could head out for a session on the track!

I spent the first 3 1/2 sessions just getting the suspension dialed in. The wind was making this far more difficult than it should have been, but we got a solid base line after all of that. Four adjustments later I felt like it was as good as I was going to get it with the wind throwing everything off. Now it was time to really learn how to ride this bike.

By the end of the day we were gettin' some!

It became abundantly apparent that I would have to completely change my thinking on how I ride the track. Thankfully the basics are there, now it was how to apply them to the new bike, which turns out to be a completely different animal to ride! A few of the big changes that I found:
-- I can carry WAY more corner speed on this bike. That moves my brake markers, shift markers, and mental approach to corners.
-- This bike downshifts significantly more smoothly than the in line fours I'm used to. That meant changing shift patterns a little bit, and mentally this was a huge challenge. I am able to downshift far later on this bike, which is awesome, but mentally I feel like I'm waiting too long. Will have to get over that with a little more seat time.
-- I was struggling to hit my up shifts due to the position of the shift peg in relation to the foot peg. On the stock sets, with my foot out on the end of the foot rest, in order to hit the shift peg I literally have to move my foot not only forward but also in. This makes hitting these difficult since I'm not used to having to make that movement for an upshift. Due to that and realizing I needed higher pegs, rearsets got moved up on my priority list a lot higher than I was expecting.
-- Obviously missing my up shifts was destroying my drive, but the few times I managed to time everything right, WOW. I was able to over take larger bikes until they had too much time to really open up.
-- With the improved brakes and corner speed on this bike, I was eating people alive on the brakes. Me. I'm like the worst person ever on the brakes. Yet this combination had me closing huge gaps in very short periods of time. My lack of drive (see below) tended to ruin my gains, but the foundation is there!
-- I need to work on my drives on this bike. Due to the higher corner speed, I'm nervous about getting on the gas as hard as I can as soon as I can. I nailed it a couple times, and it was a thing of beauty. Now that just needs to become the norm lol!
-- There was a weird paradigm shift. The corners that were my biggest struggle on the R6 were the ones I shined in on this bike, and the ones I loved on the R6 were more of a struggle on this bike. I'm guessing it's a combination of ergonomics, cornering, etc, but definitely a different ride! 
-- Ergonomics are different. I compared a photo of the same turn on the new bike with one of me on the R6, and on this bike, I am WAY more "on top" of the bike. Which leaves me a LOT more ground clearance. 
-- It was estimated that I was probably running about the same lap times towards the end of the day on the new bike as I did on my best days on my old bike. Which means that once I really learn how to ride this, it will be awesome!!

It turned out to be a great day, well spent. I did what I went to do, which was get the new bike going, figure out the quirks, start getting used to it and start to figure it out. I did all of that and more, have a homework list of things to work on, and I am looking forward to what is to come!

Comments

  1. Awesome to read your detailed stories! Looks like with some mental and physical adjustments, you will get this Triumph down! Can't wait to see pics of you on the bike!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Back On The Grid! April 2024

WERA – Talladega Gran Prix – April 13-14, 2024 It’s been a hot minute since I’ve been on a grid. Between life “shitake,” trying to get my business going, essential gear backorders, and the puppy, I hadn’t been able to get on an actual grid for a couple years. Sure, a few trackdays in there, and plenty of miles in the north Georgia mountains, but actually gridding up, going on green, and battling to the checkered was an experience that was growing a bit dim. Racing makes the rest of life boring. Seriously. That first flag this weekend for A Superstock, as we all launched into turn 1, “oh, ya, THIS IS RACING!!!!” was the thought that ran through my head. I had no delusions of being a “front runner” unless the grid in a race was small. Other than the previous weekend with Precision, I hadn’t been to Tally in over 2 years, and have never had brag worthy laptimes. My goals were to drop a little more time off my times there, and I had a “reasonable stretch” goal in mind. With Tally being so

Thunderhill Trackday - Smashing That PB!!

Lately I haven’t been doing too many blog updates in regards to trackdays – mostly because if I’m at the track, a fair bit of time is often spent instructing or I’m simply working on implementing feedback. This last day at the track, however, warrants a bit of a write up. After the last AFM round, Ken Hill ( khcoaching.com ) had watched my videos. I had been feeling pretty good about seeing sub-2 minute laptimes at Thunderhill, and was pretty stoked with the progress. Right up until Ken called and told me “we need to fix your braking. There’s 2 seconds to be had on your brakes.” Aw damn, I knew my braking needed work (that’s usually where I was getting passed), but I was a little doubtful about there being a full 2 seconds to find – but, I wasn’t going to argue with someone who does this with far better riders than myself, so we set up a plan to discuss some drills for my next day at the track. In addition, Catalyst Reaction Suspension had resprung my rear shock, so I was also

Summing It All Up - 2019-2021

Crashes, Bike Bits, and Confidence Backstory In early 2019 I thought I had finally turned a corner on my current bike, a 2017 ZX10R. The first AFM round of that year I went out and started dropping time like crazy, finally down to my previous personal best times at that track. The next round I showed up with high hopes, only to end up with an epic highside that launched me to the moon and over 50' before coming for a landing. For a very long time, I couldn't figure out what caused that to happen, and while I could come up with things that might have contributed, it didn't quite add up.  After that, however, a series of cross-country moves started taking place in my life, as did learning new tracks, new riders, new race organizations, new track providers - plus everything "normal" people deal with on major moves like that.   I made some progress over the remainder of 2019, slow, but saw improvements. 2020 saw ANOTHER cross country move to ANOTHER region of the US,