Skip to main content

AFM Round 7 and 2014 AFM Season Wrap-Up



The world pauses. Nothing exists other than you, your bike, and the riders around you. The sound of your engine as it hums beneath you, awaiting that moment when the revs are brought up. A “1” board is flashed, and 7,000 RPMs of pure power roar to life. The board goes sideways, and a green flag comes out. Instantly the world jumps to life as 20 or so motorcycles and their riders jump off the line in a bid for the front. The rush of a good launch, finding a spot in the pack and making a clean run into and through the first corner…then it’s game on!

There’s nothing quite like racing. When I first got on a motorcycle, I knew there was nothing like riding. Then I moved to California and realized that there was nothing like carving up a beautiful twisty road. Eventually I tried track days…it didn’t take long before riding on the street just wasn’t as appealing as it once was. Then, after 8 years of riding motorcycles, I finally made it to the race grid and completed my first race. With each consecutive race this season, the joys and thrills of racing over shadow all the other parts of riding – and pretty much the rest of life to be honest. I’m basically a brand new racer with only half of a season under my belt, but with each consecutive race the thrill of daily riding that I used to experience has ebbed away. There are still things about street riding I appreciate – the scenery, friends, food and exploration factor, but it’s still nothing compared to racing.
Round 7 taking place October 4th and 5th was the final 2014 AFM round. It was my last chance to make a bid for 3rd place in the AFemme Novice Championship. Looking forward, I knew my goals for 2015 included racing in the Sunday races, so I decided to go ahead and dip my toes into Sunday races in the final race of the year – I knew my times were finally to the point where I wouldn’t be dead last in the class, so figured it was time to go play with the boys.

I attended the Friday trackday on the 3rd for a little extra seat time, then went out for a couple Saturday practice sessions. Saturday afternoon it was finally time to get out to the grid for AFemme! We had some new racers gridding up with us, in addition to a few regulars. My start was okay, and off we went. At one point another of the riders managed a pass on me going into Turn 1 (I’m still a total girl going into that corner), but I wasn’t about to let her keep that…I managed a repass between 6 and 7 and held my lead for the remainder of the race, although she kept the heat on J. I set another recorded personal best that race, finishing 2nd and securing 3rd place in the Novice AFemme Championship, despite only racing ½ of the season! 



Sunday morning dawned bright and looked to be a great day for racing. My first Sunday race was the 2nd race of the day, Novice 750 Production. It was going to be my first race out “with the boys” and I was stoked. Up until this weekend I hadn’t had a ton of desire to go challenge the guys – I knew my times just weren’t quite there and I was content to stick with AFemme a bit. But things had changed this weekend, and I couldn’t wait for Sunday’s races to start. Finally, calls started to come for my class, so I put on my stuff, prepped the bike, and off for a warm up lap we went! Since I hadn’t raced these classes all year I was at the very back of the grid – which I knew meant I’d have some traffic on start. The expert wave started and it was our turn! 2 board. 1 board. Sideways. Green! I had a decent enough start, and was with the pack going into turn 1. A few of the faster guys moved past pretty quickly, and I had the opportunity to begin to challenge some of the other slower riders like myself. The battles started, and I was determined to keep a few of those boys behind me! I was working on hitting a few of my lines that I had solidified earlier in the weekend, and making use of the corners I was confident in. We spread out a bit and I finally crossed the finish line having set yet another personal best – and I wasn’t last J In fact, I had 3 other riders behind me, with a 13th place out of 16 riders. And I had a blast doing it. Now I was really stoked for my next race!

My second race of the day, and final race for 2014 was to be the Novice 600 Production race. After the 750 race, I knew I was going to be out there setting another personal best and trying to challenge a few more of the guys. Again, due to no prior races in this class I was gridded at the very back. When the green flag flew off we went! After the initial group spread, I had a couple of the guys in my cross hairs and was determined to keep them there! I began to plan out how I could make up the slight differences in our paces, and I had a few ideas in mind. I was keeping them in a reasonable distance, and was approaching the final turns of our first lap. I saw a yellow flag and a bike off the outside of turn 14 – okay, no biggie, common place for people to go down. Then I see the bike in front of me end up with a big slide – and about the time my brain had a chance to process that something was wrong I was on the deck and sliding to the outside of the corner! Dammit! SOMETHING had happened, and that one wasn’t me! So much for my plans of finishing the season crash free :(

I got up and ran off to the tire wall leaving my bike to fend for itself – a corner worker managed to grab my bike and roll it over to the wall (after yet another bike joined the pile). I was thankful my bike was out of the way, because I knew there had to be something on the track…sure enough, a little later, the expert wave started to come through and the carnage started. I watched as one bike after another went down in the exact same spot, creating a pile that ended up totaling 11 bikes taken out. As it turned out, a bike earlier in my wave had gone down, and spread oil all over the track. That oil then took another bike out, me, and then a much larger pile as the expert wave finally came through that spot. So much for that personal best – but at least my bike wasn’t in pieces and I was able to ride it back to the pits.

My first impression was that my day was done – my right foot peg was down to about 1/3 of its normal length, the rear brake lever was bent, and my right clip on was loose (albeit still attached). The guy pitted next to me, however, figured I could ride on that foot peg, he had a vacuum for the piles of dirt, rocks and sand in my belly pan, and I figured that the clip on was fixable – so I set to it. With help from a tech inspector as well (THANK YOU!) I managed to get the bike into ride able condition as long as I could deal with the foot peg. Since I knew I had done worse on my street bike once, I figured I could manage it…so, just in time for the race restart, I had the bike re-teched and off to try this again we went!

The race was shortened to only 5 laps – I spent the first 2 laps just figuring out where my foot needed to be for braking and general positioning. While I wasn’t setting any new records, I managed to finish the race with times comparable to my times at the previous Thunderhill round…and I at least finished all the races I had entered that weekend.


I had an amazing time at this final round, and the memories made will last a lifetime with hopes of many more to come! Now, however, I’m even more determined to put in a good showing for the 2015 season, and have already started to sit down and evaluate my goals, what I will need to do to accomplish them, and put this into writing to create a feasible action plan. Super stoked for the 2015 AFM season!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Back On The Grid! April 2024

WERA – Talladega Gran Prix – April 13-14, 2024 It’s been a hot minute since I’ve been on a grid. Between life “shitake,” trying to get my business going, essential gear backorders, and the puppy, I hadn’t been able to get on an actual grid for a couple years. Sure, a few trackdays in there, and plenty of miles in the north Georgia mountains, but actually gridding up, going on green, and battling to the checkered was an experience that was growing a bit dim. Racing makes the rest of life boring. Seriously. That first flag this weekend for A Superstock, as we all launched into turn 1, “oh, ya, THIS IS RACING!!!!” was the thought that ran through my head. I had no delusions of being a “front runner” unless the grid in a race was small. Other than the previous weekend with Precision, I hadn’t been to Tally in over 2 years, and have never had brag worthy laptimes. My goals were to drop a little more time off my times there, and I had a “reasonable stretch” goal in mind. With Tally being so

Summing It All Up - 2019-2021

Crashes, Bike Bits, and Confidence Backstory In early 2019 I thought I had finally turned a corner on my current bike, a 2017 ZX10R. The first AFM round of that year I went out and started dropping time like crazy, finally down to my previous personal best times at that track. The next round I showed up with high hopes, only to end up with an epic highside that launched me to the moon and over 50' before coming for a landing. For a very long time, I couldn't figure out what caused that to happen, and while I could come up with things that might have contributed, it didn't quite add up.  After that, however, a series of cross-country moves started taking place in my life, as did learning new tracks, new riders, new race organizations, new track providers - plus everything "normal" people deal with on major moves like that.   I made some progress over the remainder of 2019, slow, but saw improvements. 2020 saw ANOTHER cross country move to ANOTHER region of the US,

Thunderhill Trackday - Smashing That PB!!

Lately I haven’t been doing too many blog updates in regards to trackdays – mostly because if I’m at the track, a fair bit of time is often spent instructing or I’m simply working on implementing feedback. This last day at the track, however, warrants a bit of a write up. After the last AFM round, Ken Hill ( khcoaching.com ) had watched my videos. I had been feeling pretty good about seeing sub-2 minute laptimes at Thunderhill, and was pretty stoked with the progress. Right up until Ken called and told me “we need to fix your braking. There’s 2 seconds to be had on your brakes.” Aw damn, I knew my braking needed work (that’s usually where I was getting passed), but I was a little doubtful about there being a full 2 seconds to find – but, I wasn’t going to argue with someone who does this with far better riders than myself, so we set up a plan to discuss some drills for my next day at the track. In addition, Catalyst Reaction Suspension had resprung my rear shock, so I was also