Skip to main content

#302 Race Report: AFM Round 2, Sonoma Raceway, May 2-3, 2015





 Sonoma Raceway, located in the beautiful hills south of Sonoma is, in my opinion, the most technical track that the AFM races at. With very few places to relax, corners are strung together and a small mistake in one corner will cause you issues for several corners to come. This was, by far, my worst track, especially on the 675. After a relatively bad incident there the year before, I had some major mental demons with this track and this bike that I had been working through. Since it’s also a track I’ve had very little time at since that incident, I knew I needed to conquer these things once and for all.


Turn 2 AFemme. Photo by 4theriders.com



I chose a pit spot with the Precision Trackdays crew. It was great to have some friendly faces around me! My teammate, Paul #331, was also at this round, so the weekend got started! After a quick basic set up Friday night I finally got some sleep before the weekend was to start. Saturday dawned chilly and overcast, and I wasn’t feeling thrilled with the idea of going out for the first practice session on a cold track – so skipped that one. I got ready for the next one and just started working on getting my lines re-established in my head. Another of the Precision riders, Daniela, went out with me a couple sessions for a bit to just get a good, solid track review for both of us. 


My practices went fine – I wasn’t pushing at all, in fact, I was going pretty slow, but no crashes and stayed comfortable. I was ready for my afternoon race! As I was starting to get ready for my race, yet another red flag halted the preceding race. Due to the already late schedule, my race got postponed until the following morning as “Race Zero.” Ugh, that meant I was looking at 4 races in one day! I wasn’t sure how well I could physically deal with that, even at my pace. Granted, I’ve been working out far more regularly, but that was still a lot to cram in, especially since this was only my 3rd weekend running Sunday races!


Sunday dawned chilly and cool yet again, with a heavy overcast. Thankfully no heavy dew, but still enough to keep everything cool and slightly slick. I went out for my abbreviated practice session, rather slowly, but just to get a feel for the track. Then it was back to the pits, rider’s meeting, and race on! I headed out for what was supposed to be my Saturday race knowing the track wasn’t ideal, but determined to continue to improve at this particular track and work through those mental demons. We rolled out for a warm up lap and gridded up for our race. Upon the green flag, off we went! I didn’t have a terrible start and the race was on. I had started to adjust a few things over the weekend on a few corners in an effort to begin to shrink that time gap between a reasonably good pace for this track and my current pace. The race was feeling long, but I wasn’t feeling fatigued so that was good! One of the newer ladies managed a pass on me part way through, and I just couldn’t seem to close the gap. That pushed me back into 3rd where I finished the AFemme Nv class.


Now I had a short time to relax before my next race just before lunch, which was Formula 1 Nv. Looking at times for that class I was questioning my ability to really run in it…while I was improving, I was still a long ways off the fast riders’ pace, which meant by the end of the race I’d be getting lapped by a few of the front runners. I had decided to go ahead and drop it – but upon talking to registration found out I’d still be charged some since they had already gridded. Dang, now what to do! Back at the pits several people were just like “do it, who cares, the fast guys will get around you!” Okay, fine, decided to run it – I’d already paid, may as well go run the race and see what happens. While I ended up being a relatively solid back marker, I still managed another personal best on this bike at this track. Okay, not a total waste even if I won’t brag about it!
Turn 9. Photo by 4theriders.com


I still had two races that afternoon, and wanted to swap my rear tire so I’d be sure to have complete confidence in my tire for the next two races. Lunch ended up short so I barely had time to get that done before it was time to start getting ready for my race. I went out to my 3rd race of the day (Legacy Middleweight) rather tired. I hadn’t had much of a break since the morning, and I could feel it. Add in that the online grids didn’t update, so when I rolled up to grid I was ALL by myself way in the back! **sadface** Well, I didn’t figure anyone would care too much about me being 4 rows back from the next bike, so rather than upsetting someone, just stuck with what I had – too bad, because I actually had a great start and closed the gap to the bikes in front of me. Too bad they were still in front although not by as much. 


Throughout the race I could tell I was getting tired. While I came close to putting some other riders behind me, some stupid mistakes (such as missing downshifts on a couple corners), I lost what I was gaining. Oh well, at least I had a nice break before my next race! I still put down another best-on-this-bike time despite all of that, adding in another shift that I previously had not been doing for a better drive.


I was sure to relax and hydrate before my last race and make use of the down time to recuperate. By the time 600 Prod Nv was called, I was feeling very ready to get back out there! I was nearly at the very last spot on the grid, but had a decent start yet again. It was a bit of a cluster going through Turns 1 and 2, so in an effort to not crash was a bit passive – but kept it up without an incidents and became determined to make it a good race. I had bikes near me, and that always makes racing far more fun! 


Turn 9. Photo by 4theriders.com

As riders began to settle into their pace, my slightly slower pace was starting to spread the group out, but I at least still had a few bikes around me! The same newer gal from the AFemme race and I had a battle on our hands! She eventually managed a pass on one of my weak corners, but I was determined to get her back – I came really, really close but the area where I was in a position to get a pass was not a great place to do it, and I couldn’t get back around before the finish line. Great thing is that it was an awesome battle and we had a blast! That’s what racing is all about – winning and trophies are great (they really are) but getting to duke it out with your “rivals” is what keeps all of us going back out there!

Having a rider with a similar pace to me will make the rest of the season a blast and I’m extremely excited about the upcoming rounds!


I ended the weekend with another high note – since 2013, when I was still on my old R6, I had yet to come close to the times I had on that bike, especially after last May’s incident on the Triumph. I continued to drop time all weekend and in each race, and in the final race of the weekend, I not only beat my previous time on this bike, I finally shattered through the times I had on the R6! The best part of that is that I was VERY comfortable the whole time and didn’t feel like I was on the edge of my abilities. Feeling in control and finally kicking that mental demon’s ass has left me on a high. My times at Sonoma still have a lot of room for improvement, but I have some very specific areas where I know I could make up time, plus keeping up with the changes I made over the weekend. Finally setting a new career best at Sonoma was a HUGE accomplishment for me, and I can’t thank my sponsors who helped make this happen enough! Big shout outs to Dunlop Race Tires; Catalyst Reaction Suspension; MotoShop; Chicken Hawk Racing; Skratch Labs hydrations products; Erich Steigler Insurance; Shoei Helmets; MotoSport; Cycle Gear; Woodcraft; AXO; Driven Racing; and Precision Trackdays! 


Looking forward to seeing you all the next time around! Hopefully we'll have some pics up soon!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Back On The Grid! April 2024

WERA – Talladega Gran Prix – April 13-14, 2024 It’s been a hot minute since I’ve been on a grid. Between life “shitake,” trying to get my business going, essential gear backorders, and the puppy, I hadn’t been able to get on an actual grid for a couple years. Sure, a few trackdays in there, and plenty of miles in the north Georgia mountains, but actually gridding up, going on green, and battling to the checkered was an experience that was growing a bit dim. Racing makes the rest of life boring. Seriously. That first flag this weekend for A Superstock, as we all launched into turn 1, “oh, ya, THIS IS RACING!!!!” was the thought that ran through my head. I had no delusions of being a “front runner” unless the grid in a race was small. Other than the previous weekend with Precision, I hadn’t been to Tally in over 2 years, and have never had brag worthy laptimes. My goals were to drop a little more time off my times there, and I had a “reasonable stretch” goal in mind. With Tally being so

Thunderhill Trackday - Smashing That PB!!

Lately I haven’t been doing too many blog updates in regards to trackdays – mostly because if I’m at the track, a fair bit of time is often spent instructing or I’m simply working on implementing feedback. This last day at the track, however, warrants a bit of a write up. After the last AFM round, Ken Hill ( khcoaching.com ) had watched my videos. I had been feeling pretty good about seeing sub-2 minute laptimes at Thunderhill, and was pretty stoked with the progress. Right up until Ken called and told me “we need to fix your braking. There’s 2 seconds to be had on your brakes.” Aw damn, I knew my braking needed work (that’s usually where I was getting passed), but I was a little doubtful about there being a full 2 seconds to find – but, I wasn’t going to argue with someone who does this with far better riders than myself, so we set up a plan to discuss some drills for my next day at the track. In addition, Catalyst Reaction Suspension had resprung my rear shock, so I was also

Summing It All Up - 2019-2021

Crashes, Bike Bits, and Confidence Backstory In early 2019 I thought I had finally turned a corner on my current bike, a 2017 ZX10R. The first AFM round of that year I went out and started dropping time like crazy, finally down to my previous personal best times at that track. The next round I showed up with high hopes, only to end up with an epic highside that launched me to the moon and over 50' before coming for a landing. For a very long time, I couldn't figure out what caused that to happen, and while I could come up with things that might have contributed, it didn't quite add up.  After that, however, a series of cross-country moves started taking place in my life, as did learning new tracks, new riders, new race organizations, new track providers - plus everything "normal" people deal with on major moves like that.   I made some progress over the remainder of 2019, slow, but saw improvements. 2020 saw ANOTHER cross country move to ANOTHER region of the US,