Skip to main content

Laguna Seca - Tracktime!



Laguna Seca. Anyone who’s ever watched motorcycle racing knows about Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca. It’s an amazing track with history as being the only US Moto GP race for a rather long time, and it’s right here in our backyard. Pacific Track Time had a track day planned here for the middle of the week, so with some last minute prep the night before we woke up hella early to pick up a fellow BARFer and head down. Traffic, even at that time of day, was significantly worse than anticipated, and we ended up rolling in later than expected. It was the first track day ever for the rider who was catching a ride with us, and it was also going to be the first track day for one of my newest sponsors, Sy Nazif with RiderzLaw.



It’s always exciting to see new riders get out on track, and I was pretty stoked to get to be there for their first experiences on a race track. The weather was perfect with a slight breeze and sunny skies, and this was stacking up to be my first time at Laguna with great weather and no recent injuries. I had been here two time prior – the first time was in 2012 when it was my first day back on a bike after my Thunderhill incident, and the second time was earlier this year when it poured rain overnight and into the AM leaving us with a damp day for much of the day.



This day, however, was looking to be about as perfect as it could be. We got set up, made sure our newbies were ready and I headed out to coach the first C group session. The next hour I went out to ride my own ride in B group and get back into the groove in addition to riding in C group all day. Out on my own ride and I just “wasn’t feeling it.” This is something I’ve ran into a number of times in the past when I just feel like I’m not really feeling that aggressive, but my inability to overcome that has definitely been an issue sometimes. As I rode around I sat there having a conversation with myself, finally asking myself “are you a racer or not?!?” I guess that was the motivation I needed as I seemed to experience that mental shift and starting actually riding the bike. The following B group that I went out in was the same thing, but I kicked that a little quicker and got going, working on some passing of the liter bikes. Since Laguna is a relatively fast track with places for the bigger bikes to really use their throttles, it forced me to work on my passes in the areas where, historically, I’m the least comfortable making the pass. This was overall a good experience, but in the end I was again getting annoyed by the swooping lines and inconsistency that is often present in B group, and decided to move into A in the afternoon.



In the meantime, my newbies were starting to get into their groove, figuring out the track and track procedures and starting to have some fun. I was excited to see what they’d be doing after lunch!



Due to not being done eating in time, I ended up doing the first B group session after lunch, and then C, then heading out into A group to work on my speed. I was running a pair of flipped race take off tires from Thunderhill, so the right side profile was a bit screwy, not assisting my already-needs-work right hand cornering. Despite that, I started picking up my pace. The increased confidence in my brakes even had me thinking to myself that I could be braking harder, deeper – some of that is going to require some seat time as I adjust to this rediscovered confidence, but I was surprised to be feeling that way myself, opposed to the usual “I know I should but I don’t want to” mantra I’ve had on this bike.



Downshifting is still an issue. The lack of a slipper means I have to be especially careful. I’m struggling with blipping the throttle when I’m hard on the brakes without pogoing the brake lever. I’m feeling more confident on my clutch release which can work, but is still another distraction in the midst of a corner at speed. This still needs work.



The great thing was that I was having fun. Out in the A group I was feeling confident with what I was doing, and Turn 1 started to become a bit of a thrill as the bike was starting to get really light coming over the hump. I still haven’t decided if that was more thrilling or scary, but either way it was a blast! Turn 2 is one of my stronger corners, and I still love the corkscrew. There were a few times I hit it just right and what a thrill to drop those 5 ½ stories in 450 feet of track with the tight left/right corners!



At the end of the day I was feeling good. Definitely had some very clear things to continue to work on and improve on, but overall I felt that it was a successful day for me. To top it off, my new riders were grinning from ear to ear, and I’m pretty sure both had the track needle firmly inserted! 

The infamous Corkscrew



Now it’s time to start my homework for the next AFM round at Sonoma Raceway. My bike and I SHOULD be able to do well there as I’m finding at most of the tracks the more technical sections are where I’m doing well. If I can maintain my confidence on the brakes and get my shifts in, it should be a great weekend, but I definitely need to focus on those two areas.

Comments

  1. I did a weekend as an Instructor at Laguna. Had a driver that wanted to kill us. I had him come in to the pit lane and we talked (All session long) The next time out he was hitting all his markers, Slow but dead on. By Sunday He was sheading it. Biggest improvement I have ever seen. A good racer knows when to take a reality check. I cant wait to see how this story continues next year (err this year. time flys)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Back On The Grid! April 2024

WERA – Talladega Gran Prix – April 13-14, 2024 It’s been a hot minute since I’ve been on a grid. Between life “shitake,” trying to get my business going, essential gear backorders, and the puppy, I hadn’t been able to get on an actual grid for a couple years. Sure, a few trackdays in there, and plenty of miles in the north Georgia mountains, but actually gridding up, going on green, and battling to the checkered was an experience that was growing a bit dim. Racing makes the rest of life boring. Seriously. That first flag this weekend for A Superstock, as we all launched into turn 1, “oh, ya, THIS IS RACING!!!!” was the thought that ran through my head. I had no delusions of being a “front runner” unless the grid in a race was small. Other than the previous weekend with Precision, I hadn’t been to Tally in over 2 years, and have never had brag worthy laptimes. My goals were to drop a little more time off my times there, and I had a “reasonable stretch” goal in mind. With Tally being so

Thunderhill Trackday - Smashing That PB!!

Lately I haven’t been doing too many blog updates in regards to trackdays – mostly because if I’m at the track, a fair bit of time is often spent instructing or I’m simply working on implementing feedback. This last day at the track, however, warrants a bit of a write up. After the last AFM round, Ken Hill ( khcoaching.com ) had watched my videos. I had been feeling pretty good about seeing sub-2 minute laptimes at Thunderhill, and was pretty stoked with the progress. Right up until Ken called and told me “we need to fix your braking. There’s 2 seconds to be had on your brakes.” Aw damn, I knew my braking needed work (that’s usually where I was getting passed), but I was a little doubtful about there being a full 2 seconds to find – but, I wasn’t going to argue with someone who does this with far better riders than myself, so we set up a plan to discuss some drills for my next day at the track. In addition, Catalyst Reaction Suspension had resprung my rear shock, so I was also

Summing It All Up - 2019-2021

Crashes, Bike Bits, and Confidence Backstory In early 2019 I thought I had finally turned a corner on my current bike, a 2017 ZX10R. The first AFM round of that year I went out and started dropping time like crazy, finally down to my previous personal best times at that track. The next round I showed up with high hopes, only to end up with an epic highside that launched me to the moon and over 50' before coming for a landing. For a very long time, I couldn't figure out what caused that to happen, and while I could come up with things that might have contributed, it didn't quite add up.  After that, however, a series of cross-country moves started taking place in my life, as did learning new tracks, new riders, new race organizations, new track providers - plus everything "normal" people deal with on major moves like that.   I made some progress over the remainder of 2019, slow, but saw improvements. 2020 saw ANOTHER cross country move to ANOTHER region of the US,