Skip to main content

AFM Round 5, Sept 5/6, 2015 Sonoma Raceway



Sonoma Raceway was the setting for the 5th AFM race round of 2015. One of the most technical tracks on our circuit, it is the one track we race on that used to host AMA racing as well as club level races. Historically this particular track has been my worst track that we ride, and even more so on my current bike. I hadn’t been here since our last round at Sonoma earlier in the year when I had finally broken my previous personal best by just a bit.

I came into this weekend fairly hopeful, however, partially due to a few things happening over the summer break that I knew would help me improve in various ways. I had received some coaching at one of the PTT track days from one of our faster racers, and there were several take away pieces of information that I knew I could apply to any track I was on. Over the few weeks in between that track day and our races I sat down with a notebook, some videos, and a track map and tried to really apply some of the things we had gone over, and give myself very specific things to clean up and do differently as soon as I hit the track.

We had a Friday trackday with Pacific Track Time, although I spent the majority of the day coaching, it still gave me an opportunity to ride the adjusted lines I wanted to work on at a slower pace and really establish a few more reference points. A couple faster sessions later in the day and I felt prepared to tackle our Saturday practices with the AFemme race taking place in the afternoon.

Practices on Saturday went well, with little excitement. I was working to get used to my new Motion Pro Rev 2 Throttle, where I had gone up one reel size from what was previously on the bike. I was noticing an immediate difference – I would twist the throttle and the bike would actually go somewhere! Gotta love that feeling J. I knew I’d rapidly move up another reel size, but wanted to go through the weekend on this one to ensure I didn’t get myself into trouble with it. Over lunch I swapped my take offs for some new shiny Dunlop Race tires and got ready for the afternoon races. A short practice session to scrub the tires a bit and I was ready for AFemme.

Our AFemme grid was small this time, but I knew I still had Paige to contend with – she’s been a bit faster than me right along, but I wanted to give her a run for her money! My start was bad, with a wheelie forcing me to roll off a bit I lost some ground at the launch, but set it back down and charged up the hill, making a pass on Daniella on the way to turn two. Valentine Welch was in front of me, and I was doing my best to keep up as I knew her corner speed was good and she was getting into the times I hoped to reach. Paige managed a pass on me going into Turn 7, and she and Valentine started to give a bit of a gap. We then started to hit lap traffic, with clusters of 250s providing many “opportunities” to pass. Paige and Valentine were too far to reach so I held back a bit on aggressive passes allowing the 250s to complete their race with minimal interruption.

Photo by Bill Schaffer

I ended the AFemme Nv race in 2nd place, coming out with another personal best by shaving another second off the time I had managed at the last round. The additional speed was affecting my bike set up, however, so I headed over to Catalyst Reaction Suspension to tweak things more for the new pace. Saturday night there were a few gatherings and parties happening around the pits, so I hung out with my fellow riders and racers, enjoying the social evening as we all talked, laughed, and shared war stories. Eventually the evening ended and I tucked in for a good sleep before my Sunday races.

My first race on Sunday was 750 Production Nv – this is a class I’ve only been racing every other round due to where my Legacy class was gridded. Due to this, I’m at the back of the pack. My start wasn’t too bad, and we charged around the track. I had a few riders I passed at the start who made their way back around me. For the most part the race was pretty quiet for me, while I had a few riders I was chasing, this race usually ends up being my proverbial “warm up” race to get my head in the game for Legacy Middle which was my second race of the day. I finished 750 in 19th place. I walked away with yet another personal best, however, so I knew I was headed in the right direction for my own riding.

Legacy Middle I had a great start, putting a couple of riders behind me. I knew they would fight for that place back, and I knew they were both a little faster than me at this track, so I was doing my best to keep them back there. I held them off for a while, but they eventually managed to get around. I kept them in sight, however, working on closing that gap back up. I finished the race in 7th place, setting yet another PB for the weekend, now down 3 seconds off my previous personal best. 

Photo by Bill Schaffer

Going into this weekend I had secretly hoped to see my times down into a 1:54.XXX. I knew that was unlikely to happen at this point in my riding, since most of my progress this year has been a second here and there, maybe a couple seconds over the course of a weekend, but not the leaps and bounds I had experienced last year. But, I was hopeful that the coaching I had received would be the key for this leap, and I was starting to see the difference. I knew if I could consistently apply the changes I had been working on all weekend in my final race that maybe – just maybe – I could see that secret goal happen. I wasn’t that far off of it, I had found some very specific areas to make up time, and I knew that if I could consistently hit them that secret goal may just become reality.

My final race of the day was Formula 1 Nv, a race that I’ve ran all year, but have been a consistent back marker in it. This is also the one race I consistently can run with my teammate, and I knew that he may be the carrot I needed to get my times down. We headed out to the grid and got ready to go. My launch was good, but the rider in front and to my right drifted into my path blocking my forward momentum, so I didn’t make up quite as much ground on the start as I had hoped. Despite that I charged up the hill trying to pick off as many bikes as possible in the first few corners. Due to converging lines and some swooping lines a few riders had to check and up and dodge around, and ended up pushing me wide through 2. Okay, we’re all still up, and we continue on. I was able to pick off a few other riders around the track, but I knew my teammate was right behind me, and I wanted to keep him back there. I focused on hitting the things I had been working on all weekend, and on keeping the riders behind me, well, behind me! The race went well, I felt comfortable and relaxed, and was way more consistent with my changes, only missing the marks once or twice, but with no big mistakes. It was a great race with some fun battles and I rolled in knowing I wasn’t last, but unsure how many riders were behind me at the end.

Photo by Bill Schaffer

Eventually results were posted and I finished the race in 15th , solidly in the middle of the pack instead of the back. Additionally, my super-secret personal goal was accomplished, with a personal best into the 1:54s with lap times consistently close to that.

I left the weekend knowing I had made some huge improvements. The assistance of my amazing sponsors can’t be over emphasized as this weekend simply would not have happened without them. The support of RiderzLaw allowed me to get to the races and made sure I had some great Dunlop Race Tires on my bike to give me the grip I needed. Catalyst Reaction made sure the bike wasn’t getting out of sorts as I pushed it harder than I previously had, and Skratch Labs kept me hydrated and energized in the heat and activity. Moto Guild helped me get the stuff I needed to have the bike ready to go, and the others have all helped me throughout the year to make this kind of progress. All of the support has been amazing, and the products and services my sponsors provide are top notch!

Photo by Bill Schaffer

Overall, the weekend went extremely well. While I had hoped to give a better battle in AFemme, my times by the end of the weekend were putting me much closer to making that happen. The next two rounds will be interesting as I have the opportunity to continue to apply these changes to my riding at the other tracks. Making a 5 second improvement over the course of a weekend at this point is rather huge, which means the changes were, quite literally, game changing for me. I’m excited to carry this into the final two rounds and see if I can maybe squeak out finally getting that first place trophy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Back On The Grid! April 2024

WERA – Talladega Gran Prix – April 13-14, 2024 It’s been a hot minute since I’ve been on a grid. Between life “shitake,” trying to get my business going, essential gear backorders, and the puppy, I hadn’t been able to get on an actual grid for a couple years. Sure, a few trackdays in there, and plenty of miles in the north Georgia mountains, but actually gridding up, going on green, and battling to the checkered was an experience that was growing a bit dim. Racing makes the rest of life boring. Seriously. That first flag this weekend for A Superstock, as we all launched into turn 1, “oh, ya, THIS IS RACING!!!!” was the thought that ran through my head. I had no delusions of being a “front runner” unless the grid in a race was small. Other than the previous weekend with Precision, I hadn’t been to Tally in over 2 years, and have never had brag worthy laptimes. My goals were to drop a little more time off my times there, and I had a “reasonable stretch” goal in mind. With Tally being so

Thunderhill Trackday - Smashing That PB!!

Lately I haven’t been doing too many blog updates in regards to trackdays – mostly because if I’m at the track, a fair bit of time is often spent instructing or I’m simply working on implementing feedback. This last day at the track, however, warrants a bit of a write up. After the last AFM round, Ken Hill ( khcoaching.com ) had watched my videos. I had been feeling pretty good about seeing sub-2 minute laptimes at Thunderhill, and was pretty stoked with the progress. Right up until Ken called and told me “we need to fix your braking. There’s 2 seconds to be had on your brakes.” Aw damn, I knew my braking needed work (that’s usually where I was getting passed), but I was a little doubtful about there being a full 2 seconds to find – but, I wasn’t going to argue with someone who does this with far better riders than myself, so we set up a plan to discuss some drills for my next day at the track. In addition, Catalyst Reaction Suspension had resprung my rear shock, so I was also

Summing It All Up - 2019-2021

Crashes, Bike Bits, and Confidence Backstory In early 2019 I thought I had finally turned a corner on my current bike, a 2017 ZX10R. The first AFM round of that year I went out and started dropping time like crazy, finally down to my previous personal best times at that track. The next round I showed up with high hopes, only to end up with an epic highside that launched me to the moon and over 50' before coming for a landing. For a very long time, I couldn't figure out what caused that to happen, and while I could come up with things that might have contributed, it didn't quite add up.  After that, however, a series of cross-country moves started taking place in my life, as did learning new tracks, new riders, new race organizations, new track providers - plus everything "normal" people deal with on major moves like that.   I made some progress over the remainder of 2019, slow, but saw improvements. 2020 saw ANOTHER cross country move to ANOTHER region of the US,