Skip to main content

AFM Round 2, 2016 Sonoma Raceway Race Report #302

Sonoma Raceway has historically been one of my worst tracks on the AFM circuit. While my overall laptimes were of a similar range compared to the other tracks (ie I would like to be 5 seconds a lap faster than I am) the overall times seem to be a bit closer than they are at the other tracks with less spread between the front and the back. I had some clear cut goals and ambitions for the weekend, the big one being to make up for what I didn’t accomplish at Round 1.

One of the things I realized after R1 was that I needed to sort out my mental game. Obviously the pros must have a way of dealing with this, and I knew I needed some tips and ideas on how to get out of my own way. Ken Hill has been doing a podcast series, so I suggested that as one of the topics. He graciously offered to discuss this particular issue with me prior to the podcast, and he shared a fair bit of information with me on how to deal with this particular issue. He also arranged for Cameron Gish to review some of my Saturday video with me to give me some tips on getting around the track – WOW, I was super grateful for all of that, and wanted to put it to good use! Thanks to Erich Stiegler Insurance I was able to purchase a Go Pro to make good use of this coaching.



After loading up the RiderzLaw truck, I dropped my stuff off and started setting up the garage on Friday night. I had my take offs swapped for Saturday practice so I could put on some shiny new sticky new Dunlops before my first race. Saturday practices I was working on a few things, but quickly realized I was bottoming out my forks in several places. Jim at Catalyst Reaction Suspension helped me sort some of that out, and I eventually headed out for my Saturday race, Clubman Middle. I had an okay start, was feeling good – and red flag. I wasn’t even to Turn 3 yet! Ugh, back into the pits, race finally gets called again, and we grid up a second time. I have a better start this time, was feeling pretty good still, got to about turn 7, ANOTHER red flag! WTH! Okay, back into the pits we go. Again we get called out, grid up, and start. I had a great launch on this one and was starting to have some fun. We finally complete a lap and we’re racing. I’m coming down into Turn 8, and a THIRD reg flag!! WTH people!! We get waved back to the pits a third time. Apparently race direction also had their fill of this, so they decided to move on to race 2 and move our race to race 0 on Saturday.

Well, now I was going to get a really good test of my fitness. I had added one race to my schedule from R1 already, and now I was going end up having all 6 of my races happen on Sunday! Okay, it is what it is, this is what I’ve been training for, let’s see how it goes!

Saturday evening Cameron came over and we went over the one lap of the race I managed to do. He had several suggestions on lines I could correct and a few other mistakes I was making, so after taking some notes, started to think it through. That night, it was on my mind as I tried to mentally correct some of the bigger ones that were definitely slowing me down. I slept well enough that night, and headed back to the track Sunday morning to take on the challenge of the day.

Sunday morning I crawled into my Dainese gear, and put on my favorite helmet I’ve ever tried, the AGV Pista. I made it out for the first practice and was feeling pretty good. Race 0 being the first of the day, we gridded up for a race none of us were quite sure how it would go. I had another decent start, which gave me a better position to put down some laps. I had a few riders I was getting to battle it out with, and we had a good time. I made a good move in this class and finished 12 out of 25, with a 1:55.7, just shy of my previous personal best (PB) here at Sonoma.



The next race out was the new one to me, 600 Superbike. Since I have never ran that class, I was near the back of the grid. I had an okay start, but never quite got into a good rhythm. Additionally, I was yet again bottoming my forks out in several places, making entry into all of the hard braking corners difficult, as my front would be chattering as I was trying to turn in. I finished the race in 14th of 16, with a 1:55.2. Still shaving a bit of time, but the front suspension was definitely an issue. There was only one race between this and the next one, however, so I didn’t feel like I’d have time to get things fixed before then – and then the race between got red flagged – and they were early enough into it, we knew it would be restarted. I decided to make use of that and ran over to Catalyst yet again. Jim added a bunch more preload and tweaked a couple things, and I headed back to the pits. The delay for the other race was a long one, so I had plenty of time, even managed a bathroom break LOL.



The next race was Formula 1, which has remained one of my favorites to run. We headed out for our warm up and gridded up. I closed my face shield, shut out the noise, and focused on the world in front of me. I had a great launch, and got to chase some of the faster guys for a bit. The suspension changes were very helpful, and I plowed on ahead. I had several great battles in this race, including a first for me as another bike just barely squeaked in front of me going into Turn 1 and we went through the corner side by side! I finished the race in 11th out of 20, setting a new PB of 1:51.5 – a good 3 ½ seconds of my previous PB!




I kept getting closer to my goal of making the top 10, but was just staying shy of it thus far. So close!! Over lunch I swapped my rear tire, ate, and then got ready for our next race, Legacy Middleweight. Our grid at this round was quite a bit smaller, so while my increase in speed helped me put a couple of my contenders who were beating me at R1 behind me, it didn’t look quite as good on paper. Again I had a great start, and got to play chase for awhile. Eventually had a couple bikes I was getting to duke it out with a bit, and ended up finishing in 4th out of 6 with a 1:52.4.



Thankfully after that we had a few races between so I could catch my breath before my last two. I was starting to feel the fact that I had barely sat down wearing on me since I didn’t really get a chance to relax over lunch, so I made good use of this down time. Our next two races were the Production classes, so I wanted to get out there and keep this improvement trend going.

By the time 600 Prod was called, I was feeling pretty good. I had another good start (theme for the weekend by this point) and got to chase down several bikes. I was noticing that due to the mental coaching I had received, it was making a huge difference on my willingness and ability to make passes. It wasn’t about aggression at all – in fact, quite the opposite. When I was making the passes it was just seeing the path, being quiet and “in the zone” and I’d just take it. Smooth, safe, but making it happen without stressing about everything that “might” happen like I historically have struggled with. This race was the real clincher for me as I finally crossed the line in 9th place out of 22! Woohoo, another goal for the weekend made reality! I had a best lap that race of 1:52.4.




There was a one race break before our last race of the day, 750 Prod, so again, not much down time. Grabbed some water, and basically got ready to go out again for the final race of the day. I could feel the fatigue starting, but thought about the fact that it was the final race, and knew I could manage one more. Our race was called, and we went out and gridded up. I had another good launch, and had some more fun battles through the race. I continued to push through, and finished the race in 6th place out of 11 with a 1:52.9.

I came off the track feeling pretty good, and was happy to see that my laptimes remained in the same range they had been most of the weekend. That sixth race, however, put me at my limit. I had noticed my legs starting to shake a bit during the race, and I got off the bike and could see my hands shaking while holding our ‘celebratory’ beers – so I had definitely maxed out what I could do and still perform! Thanks to Skratch Labs I was at least able to survive and finish strong, their hydration mixes have made a huge difference in my body’s ability to recover.



Overall, I’m pleased with the weekend. There are still a number of very clear places I can make up time, and we’ll obviously need to do some suspension work since my on fork seal started to leak by mid-afternoon on Sunday after bottoming them out repeatedly…the never ending chasing of that proverbial tail! I managed to break into the top 10 a couple times, and I made some significant improvements over my previous times and performance.

I can’t thank all of my wonderful sponsors enough for their help. Because of their generosity, I was able to spring for a camera so I can now have more accurate review of what I’m doing, and hopefully can increase my opportunities for more assistance based on those videos as well. The mental coaching and suggestions were huge as well. I thought I needed more aggression, but the weekend proved that was almost the polar opposite of what I needed. I’m looking forward to more opportunities to work on applying those methods so they become habitual. Their support is also going to allow me to get the suspension work done that I need to do before the next race round, so I can continue to work through some of the changes I’m making and continue to improve.

I’m not the most talented rider out there, and my progress isn’t amazingly fast, but it’s been pretty steady. At this time last year I was the clear back marker in all of my races. While my longer term goals still leave a lot of work in front of me, I know I can reach them as long as I continue to apply myself, and I can’t offer enough gratitude to everyone who has helped me on this journey!



My sponsors have been amazing this year, and I can’t even begin to imagine where I’d be without their support! Each has been instrumental in making this happen, and while I know we all say that, I really do believe in their products and services. RiderzLaw aren’t just lawyers – they’re riders and they are passionate about the sport. Dainese keeps me safe and comfortable both on the track and on the street, day in and day out. Dunlop tires continue to keep my shiny side up and are there with every new Personal Best that I achieve. Erich Stiegler’s support of racing and his customer service for all my insurance needs has been beyond anything I’ve experienced. Catalyst Reaction has been instrumental in each of these improvements, and they are there every time we need to readjust after yet another change! MotoGuild keeps all my maintenance supplies, parts (and help when needed) at the ready. Skratch Labs hydration mixes allow me to operate at my peak, and are key to being able to recover quickly. Motion Pro supplies some of the best tools imaginable. Chicken Hawk warmers keep my Dunlops warm and ready to go; Cycle Gear has kept my pit well stocked; Woodcraft and Amour Bodies keep the bike set up, protected, and looking good.


It was great to see some old (and new) friends out at the races, and it’s always a blast being able to share this passion with people who knew me as a brand new street rider, took me under their wings, and planted the seeds that have gotten me thus far. The journey is far from over, and I am looking forward to Round 3 at Thunderhill the end of the month!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Back On The Grid! April 2024

WERA – Talladega Gran Prix – April 13-14, 2024 It’s been a hot minute since I’ve been on a grid. Between life “shitake,” trying to get my business going, essential gear backorders, and the puppy, I hadn’t been able to get on an actual grid for a couple years. Sure, a few trackdays in there, and plenty of miles in the north Georgia mountains, but actually gridding up, going on green, and battling to the checkered was an experience that was growing a bit dim. Racing makes the rest of life boring. Seriously. That first flag this weekend for A Superstock, as we all launched into turn 1, “oh, ya, THIS IS RACING!!!!” was the thought that ran through my head. I had no delusions of being a “front runner” unless the grid in a race was small. Other than the previous weekend with Precision, I hadn’t been to Tally in over 2 years, and have never had brag worthy laptimes. My goals were to drop a little more time off my times there, and I had a “reasonable stretch” goal in mind. With Tally being so

Thunderhill Trackday - Smashing That PB!!

Lately I haven’t been doing too many blog updates in regards to trackdays – mostly because if I’m at the track, a fair bit of time is often spent instructing or I’m simply working on implementing feedback. This last day at the track, however, warrants a bit of a write up. After the last AFM round, Ken Hill ( khcoaching.com ) had watched my videos. I had been feeling pretty good about seeing sub-2 minute laptimes at Thunderhill, and was pretty stoked with the progress. Right up until Ken called and told me “we need to fix your braking. There’s 2 seconds to be had on your brakes.” Aw damn, I knew my braking needed work (that’s usually where I was getting passed), but I was a little doubtful about there being a full 2 seconds to find – but, I wasn’t going to argue with someone who does this with far better riders than myself, so we set up a plan to discuss some drills for my next day at the track. In addition, Catalyst Reaction Suspension had resprung my rear shock, so I was also

Summing It All Up - 2019-2021

Crashes, Bike Bits, and Confidence Backstory In early 2019 I thought I had finally turned a corner on my current bike, a 2017 ZX10R. The first AFM round of that year I went out and started dropping time like crazy, finally down to my previous personal best times at that track. The next round I showed up with high hopes, only to end up with an epic highside that launched me to the moon and over 50' before coming for a landing. For a very long time, I couldn't figure out what caused that to happen, and while I could come up with things that might have contributed, it didn't quite add up.  After that, however, a series of cross-country moves started taking place in my life, as did learning new tracks, new riders, new race organizations, new track providers - plus everything "normal" people deal with on major moves like that.   I made some progress over the remainder of 2019, slow, but saw improvements. 2020 saw ANOTHER cross country move to ANOTHER region of the US,