Skip to main content

AFM Round 3, 2016 – Race Report – Thunderhill Raceway

Ever since the completion of Round 2 I was looking forward to getting back out to the track. With only one possible track weekend in between, which I wasn’t able to make for a few reasons, it was feeling like a rather long dry spell even though it was only about a month. I was able to get packed up and loaded the little RiderzLaw truck up early enough on Friday that I arrived to the track around 3:00pm and was able to start setting up the pit in the area another friend had saved for our group. Bike seemed happy, I was feeling relatively good, and it was looking like a warm, but tolerable, weekend. I was excited.

Friday night involved a lot of socializing as we all caught up and started the smack talk. Eventually I crawled into bed, but the wind continued to blow. It kept me from really falling asleep as I worried about the canopies we had set up, and eventually I crawled out of the tent and took down the canopy. In the dark. In the wind. I went back to bed only to have the flapping of the tent bugging me, so I took some Benedryl in a desperate attempt to get a little sleep. That helped, and I finally dozed off for a few hours.

The sun dawned with a beautiful sunrise, and we began to finish prepping for a day of practice and some racing in the afternoon. My practice sessions went well enough, and I was feeling pretty good on the bike. My laptimes were improving, and I was actually beating my previous PB (which, at the time, was a wildcard lap that I wasn’t able to repeat or even come very close to at the time) during practice sessions. I knew racing would see that drop even more, and I was excited to see what I might be able to accomplish over the weekend.

Over lunch I went ahead and swapped my tires to some pretty new Dunlop shine, and made sure I was all set for my race that afternoon. Per the usual, my weekend would start with Clubman Middleweight. Since Round 1 my grid spots had started to move further up so I was pretty much racing with the guys I saw in all my other races, making it a far less stressful experience. Finally grids were marked, the anthem played, and we were ready to start racing! I headed out for my warm up lap, and we all gridded up. The two waves in front of us were released, then it was our turn. 2 board, 1 board, green flag! Off we went! I had a decent enough start, and was behind the front few bikes, and was starting to look forward what was promising to be a good race. Unfortunately,  red flag a few corners in put a short end to things, and we headed back to the pits. Despite having gotten a rather stern warning before the race (after all the mishaps in the first two rounds), there had been another bad crash. Eventually the track was cleared, but Race Direction was already over it and moved our race to Race 0 on Sunday. Oh boy, yet again I’d have all six races in one day – and on this race schedule, I was back to having two of them being back to back. Well, I had done it at Sonoma, I figured I could do it here too!

In an unexpected turn, once again Ken Hill had offered to have Cameron Gish review some of my Saturday video for some feedback. He was able to find a few things to point out and work on, and the feedback was once again terrific. Since I had also previously arranged to meet with Jason Lauritzen to review some video, I headed over there a bit later and got the chance to get his feedback and some suggestions as well. I had an action plan for Sunday and for going forward on some things to revise, and some good ideas on conquering my fears of this particular track. After that, time for a little more socializing, then off to bed for some sleep. It was another short night, but the wind had died down, and I got a few good hours in before the sun started creeping up.




As the dawn broke, the birds came out in full force, loudly chattering away about their opinions on the beautiful morning. I tried to catch a little more sleep to no avail, and eventually gave in and got up to putter around the pits and make sure I was all set for what was sure to be a long, but fun, day. I made sure the bike was ready, I was ready, and that I had a game plan in place. I would have some of my friends/teammates/pit mates in every race, and was looking forward to being out there with them. Our morning practice was completed, and they set up for the day full of races. I crawled into my Dainese gear and AGV helmet, ready to take on the track!

Race 0 started the day off as we finally got last call and headed out for a warm up lap. We gridded up, the other waves left and we were up. Finally a green flag and we were racing! My start this time wasn’t as good, and I was a little further back in the pack, but still far enough up to have a number of bikes to battle with. As the first few laps went by, eventually the pack started to spread out a little bit, but I was never really alone in this race. Coming up Turn 9 I saw a friend and his bike off track and tumbling, hoped he was okay, but the race was still on. No red flags came out, so that was a good sign. Eventually we finished our truncated-to-five-laps race and I rolled across the finish line in 11th of 27 with a best lap of 2:03.6, setting another personal best.

There wasn’t much time off as our next race was Race 2, 750 Production. I checked my gas, got my grid spot, drank down some Skratch Labs hydration and basically got ready to head back out. That race was called shortly after and we rolled out for our first originally scheduled race of the day. I had a decent enough start again, and due to the slight increase in my laptimes, I was again getting to battle it out with several other bikes on the grid and no longer being out in back. It was a great race, and I finished in 8th of 17 with yet another personal best of 2:02.3. That checked off one of my goals for the weekend (making it to the 2:02’s), and I was feeling pretty good. The advice from both Cameron and Jason was proving extremely useful, and my confidence was noticeably improving.



My third race of the weekend was a little later in the morning, 600 Production. A rather large class with some stiff competition, but I was looking forward to the challenge of continuing to nip away at the group. We got out to grid, and were launched. Another great race with a lot of fun battles, and I finished the race mid pack with a 12th of 24, but setting yet another personal best with a 2:02.1.



Now it was lunch break and time for me to get my rear tire swapped. The swap went well enough and I had some time to eat a bit and then relax before heading out for our Formula 1 race, which was the first of my two back to back races. Warm up lap completed and we gridded up. My position on this grid didn’t thrill me as there wasn’t a very good place to make use of my good starts, and I got hung up in a little traffic. Per the theme for the weekend, this was another good race, and we finished up without any major incidents. I crossed the line in 11th of 17, with a best lap of 2:02.7. After that I went for a quick “cool down” lap so I could make my “warm up” lap for the next race, Legacy Middleweight.

This is one of the races I find rather enjoyable as not only are a couple of my friends in it, but it’s also a relatively evenly matched group of us since the machines can’t make as much of a difference. We finally got started, and this one turned into a battle! Myself and another racer were battling it out, passing each other back and forth for most of the race. We got hung up behind a slower expert, but he was going out of his way to not let us pass – as soon as he’d hear one of us behind him, he’d swing his line right across our front tires. This happened several times, but eventually the rider I was battling managed to get around. Despite this person’s efforts I finally managed a pass and was back to chasing down my fellow racer, but he managed to snag the lead at the end. Either way it was a great race. I headed back to the pits and after taking care of the bike, I started to feel like I may be beginning to overheat, so took measures to get that under control as quickly as possible. The rider who I had been battling with came by the pit to say hi, and he was pretty sure he had been in 2nd place – well, if that was the case, that meant I was in 3rd! Sure enough the results posted and I had officially gotten my first trophy against the boys! I was pretty excited about that! I finished the race 3rd of 7 with a best lap of 2:02.2.



We had another break of a couple races before my final race of the weekend, 600 SBK. I had a decent enough start on this race, and got to chase down some of the faster riders. There was a big battle in front of me for what looked like 2nd-5th places, and I was having a chance to ride with one of the experts who was hung up behind the group of novices in front of us. I was at least able to get a little more traction this race, so there was a little more confidence in that department with a little less sliding around. That made for yet another fun race, and I finished the race in 6th of 15, and set my personal best laptime of the weekend with a 2:01.2! I was pretty stoked to see that I managed to finish that strongly after a long, hot day at Thunderhill!




I can’t thank my sponsors enough for all of the amazing support this year (be sure to check out their offerings – great products, amazing service – they really are the best at what they do!) – we’re dropping time, moving up the placings, and overall it has been a good run thus far! Round 4 is just around the corner, and I look forward to continuing to improve at the next one!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Back On The Grid! April 2024

WERA – Talladega Gran Prix – April 13-14, 2024 It’s been a hot minute since I’ve been on a grid. Between life “shitake,” trying to get my business going, essential gear backorders, and the puppy, I hadn’t been able to get on an actual grid for a couple years. Sure, a few trackdays in there, and plenty of miles in the north Georgia mountains, but actually gridding up, going on green, and battling to the checkered was an experience that was growing a bit dim. Racing makes the rest of life boring. Seriously. That first flag this weekend for A Superstock, as we all launched into turn 1, “oh, ya, THIS IS RACING!!!!” was the thought that ran through my head. I had no delusions of being a “front runner” unless the grid in a race was small. Other than the previous weekend with Precision, I hadn’t been to Tally in over 2 years, and have never had brag worthy laptimes. My goals were to drop a little more time off my times there, and I had a “reasonable stretch” goal in mind. With Tally being so

Thunderhill Trackday - Smashing That PB!!

Lately I haven’t been doing too many blog updates in regards to trackdays – mostly because if I’m at the track, a fair bit of time is often spent instructing or I’m simply working on implementing feedback. This last day at the track, however, warrants a bit of a write up. After the last AFM round, Ken Hill ( khcoaching.com ) had watched my videos. I had been feeling pretty good about seeing sub-2 minute laptimes at Thunderhill, and was pretty stoked with the progress. Right up until Ken called and told me “we need to fix your braking. There’s 2 seconds to be had on your brakes.” Aw damn, I knew my braking needed work (that’s usually where I was getting passed), but I was a little doubtful about there being a full 2 seconds to find – but, I wasn’t going to argue with someone who does this with far better riders than myself, so we set up a plan to discuss some drills for my next day at the track. In addition, Catalyst Reaction Suspension had resprung my rear shock, so I was also

Summing It All Up - 2019-2021

Crashes, Bike Bits, and Confidence Backstory In early 2019 I thought I had finally turned a corner on my current bike, a 2017 ZX10R. The first AFM round of that year I went out and started dropping time like crazy, finally down to my previous personal best times at that track. The next round I showed up with high hopes, only to end up with an epic highside that launched me to the moon and over 50' before coming for a landing. For a very long time, I couldn't figure out what caused that to happen, and while I could come up with things that might have contributed, it didn't quite add up.  After that, however, a series of cross-country moves started taking place in my life, as did learning new tracks, new riders, new race organizations, new track providers - plus everything "normal" people deal with on major moves like that.   I made some progress over the remainder of 2019, slow, but saw improvements. 2020 saw ANOTHER cross country move to ANOTHER region of the US,