Skip to main content

Introducing the New Ride

     After my decision to move on to a new bike, the fun part of actually getting said bike was the next thing to do! I looked into a couple dealerships in hopes of finding one I could partner with as a sponsor. I had a personal reference to Roseville Yamaha Kawasaki, and I met with the sales manager, Ali, who seemed open to a sponsorship arrangement. After careful consideration, I felt like Ali and the team there were more behind supporting the sport, and I appreciated the straight forward and honest dealings, so I decided to partner with Roseville and ordered my bike through them.

     I decided to go ahead and go with the bike I really wanted - while I technically could have saved a little bit with a barely used or on the floor bike, if I was going to take the plunge, I wanted to get the bike I really wanted. While the bike will go straight to track, that doesn't mean it would never see the street again, and either way, I wanted the white tank and the silver and green forks...so I put in an order for a 2017 ZX10R in the white livery. In an effort to get the bike sooner rather than later, so I'd have time to get it set up, I decided to go ahead and finance the bike. This allowed me to pick it up significantly sooner so we'd have more time to get it set up.

    The call came in sooner than expected - my bike was there and ready to be picked up! I excitedly headed up to Roseville Yamaha Kawasaki to pick up the bike. It was beautiful as expected. We finished up the paperwork, took a couple pictures, and loaded it up. I was beyond excited, to the point of barely containing it.

At Roseville Yamaha Kawasaki with the new beast!

OMG it's really mine!
      After saying good bye to Ali and the rest of the crew at Roseville I headed right over to DareDevil Motorsports. Jesus and Damion are also sponsoring me this year, offering me a mechanical and pit sponsorship, something I've yet to have help with. DareDevil will be setting the bike up for/with me, and having their help is great as they've already set up a few of these bikes and are familiar with them. We unloaded the bike, and I decided I should take it for at least one little spin down the road and back since they were willing to wait for me. 


So new!!
      I borrowed a jacket, I had brought my helmet and a pair of gloves in case, and took it down the road. I didn't go particularly far, but took a bit to get a feel for the raw power the bike has. It's an amazing machine, and brand new out of the box that bike wants to go somewhere when you twist that throttle. It's a beast as it is, none the less once we get it set up!

Squid Central!
      The bike is amazing, and I really can't wait to get on it "for real" and start learning to ride the bigger bike and get in tune with the bike. I've got my work cut out for me in order to be ready to race this thing by spring, but having it in hand is providing a special level of motivation!

Last day as a street machine
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summing It All Up - 2019-2021

Crashes, Bike Bits, and Confidence Backstory In early 2019 I thought I had finally turned a corner on my current bike, a 2017 ZX10R. The first AFM round of that year I went out and started dropping time like crazy, finally down to my previous personal best times at that track. The next round I showed up with high hopes, only to end up with an epic highside that launched me to the moon and over 50' before coming for a landing. For a very long time, I couldn't figure out what caused that to happen, and while I could come up with things that might have contributed, it didn't quite add up.  After that, however, a series of cross-country moves started taking place in my life, as did learning new tracks, new riders, new race organizations, new track providers - plus everything "normal" people deal with on major moves like that.   I made some progress over the remainder of 2019, slow, but saw improvements. 2020 saw ANOTHER cross country move to ANOTHER region of the US,

Thunderhill Trackday - Smashing That PB!!

Lately I haven’t been doing too many blog updates in regards to trackdays – mostly because if I’m at the track, a fair bit of time is often spent instructing or I’m simply working on implementing feedback. This last day at the track, however, warrants a bit of a write up. After the last AFM round, Ken Hill ( khcoaching.com ) had watched my videos. I had been feeling pretty good about seeing sub-2 minute laptimes at Thunderhill, and was pretty stoked with the progress. Right up until Ken called and told me “we need to fix your braking. There’s 2 seconds to be had on your brakes.” Aw damn, I knew my braking needed work (that’s usually where I was getting passed), but I was a little doubtful about there being a full 2 seconds to find – but, I wasn’t going to argue with someone who does this with far better riders than myself, so we set up a plan to discuss some drills for my next day at the track. In addition, Catalyst Reaction Suspension had resprung my rear shock, so I was also

WERA Roebling Road March 2021 - Ya Win Some, Ya Lose Some.....

 ....and sometimes you do both within half a lap. But that's not how the weekend started. Making races this year was looking very hit and miss, but with RIDERZLAW continuing their title sponsorship, a few rounds were not outside the realm of possibility; as finances were working out, I set up to head to Roebling Road, one of only 2 tracks I made it to last year for a race. I was excited to see if a) mentally I was back to a better place and b) to finally race a familiar track. Friday practice went smoothly, and by the end of the day I was feeling very comfortable at my previous pace, and could tell I had a lot left in me. Issue was, I still wasn't nailing the entire track - parts of it, but there were a couple places that still needed to come together for me, turns 1 and 5 in particular. Saturday I had a fairly early race with Formula 1 - with not even so much as a trackday since last September, it took me the better part of 2+ laps to "remember" I was racing, not jus