Skip to main content

It's a New Year, but "the Struggle is Real"

Usually I do a pretty good job of keeping my head up and not feeling too sorry for myself...let's face it, wallowing never got anyone anywhere. This morning, however, I'll admit to not feeling quite as upbeat as I normally would be. You see, I HAD some fun plans in store for this New Year, primarily heading out of state for a shin dig with a bunch of my racing buddies. Instead, I sat at home, mostly alone (save for my freshly divorced roommate), and didn't even make it past 10pm.

Friday, Dec 30th, I went in for the second round of surgery on my leg. The Doc got everything plated and I lost the erector set, but needless to say, either way, any New Year's plans were shot in the ass. No way I was going to manage going out - or doing anything for that matter - on a leg that I can't leave unelevated for more than an hour at this point, and an hour was probably going to be pushing it.

Yes it's one night. I know, that, in the grand scheme of things, it won't matter. I am, however, finding Facebook and other social media a bit depressing at the moment, especially since I know this one night is going to drag out to weeks and likely months. It's been almost a full month since it happened, and I'm just now put into a place where I can focus on healing. Winter plans of travels and dirt biking - gone. Any serious winter training - gone. Fun in my down time - gone.

Despite all of this, and this moment of self-pity (yes, I'm allowing myself that indulgence this morning), I'm not going to just sit here and wait for things to heal. I am doing everything I can to give myself the best possible results, no matter how long that may take. I still don't have best and worst case scenarios, but I'll do everything in my power to push towards best case. I've got some workouts that I can do on the couch and in the house to at least keep the rest of my body fit and lose as little as possible in that regard. Supplements and staying active are top priorities as much as my leg is okay with me doing.

I can already tell that PT (when I even get to that point) is going to suck. Right now I'm in a cast from my toes to just below my knee, and I can barely even do so much as wiggle my toes. I can feel everything in there stiffening up by the minute. But I'll wiggle those damn toes as best I can lol.

In two weeks when I have my follow up appointment and they get some fresh x-rays of where I'm at I'll probably have a better idea on what I'm looking at as far as recovery timeframes. Thankfully he was able to fix the fibula on the first surgery, as that one will probably take longer to heal since it had multiple breaks and a floating piece that needs to reattach itself....so, by the time of my followup, that will have had a good month to get started. Unfortunately, my own research has revealed that multiple breaks in the same bone can be a PITA to heal - the body will heal one of the breaks really well, and then seems to "forget" about the other. Unfortunately, I don't know how much control, if any, I have over helping prevent that. I'm hoping staying active as much as I can will keep things "reminded" of where they should be.My tibia will have only had two weeks to get going, but while the bigger bone, it was a cleaner break. Hopefully things will be going well enough that we can start some PT to prevent as much stiffness as possible.

His biggest concern is soft tissue damage from the tibia in the ankle cartilage. I KNOW that will suck in PT, but I'm prepared to deal with it and keep things headed in the right direction. It's not my first time dealing with injuries, a lifetime of horses followed by motorcycles and growing up on a farm as the proverbial tomboy, I know what to expect on some level, and I'm ready to take it on and get back out there as soon as I can.

Besides, I've got a beautiful new bike sitting there that I've started to order parts for and I can't wait to actually sit on it once it's ready!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Back On The Grid! April 2024

WERA – Talladega Gran Prix – April 13-14, 2024 It’s been a hot minute since I’ve been on a grid. Between life “shitake,” trying to get my business going, essential gear backorders, and the puppy, I hadn’t been able to get on an actual grid for a couple years. Sure, a few trackdays in there, and plenty of miles in the north Georgia mountains, but actually gridding up, going on green, and battling to the checkered was an experience that was growing a bit dim. Racing makes the rest of life boring. Seriously. That first flag this weekend for A Superstock, as we all launched into turn 1, “oh, ya, THIS IS RACING!!!!” was the thought that ran through my head. I had no delusions of being a “front runner” unless the grid in a race was small. Other than the previous weekend with Precision, I hadn’t been to Tally in over 2 years, and have never had brag worthy laptimes. My goals were to drop a little more time off my times there, and I had a “reasonable stretch” goal in mind. With Tally being so

Thunderhill Trackday - Smashing That PB!!

Lately I haven’t been doing too many blog updates in regards to trackdays – mostly because if I’m at the track, a fair bit of time is often spent instructing or I’m simply working on implementing feedback. This last day at the track, however, warrants a bit of a write up. After the last AFM round, Ken Hill ( khcoaching.com ) had watched my videos. I had been feeling pretty good about seeing sub-2 minute laptimes at Thunderhill, and was pretty stoked with the progress. Right up until Ken called and told me “we need to fix your braking. There’s 2 seconds to be had on your brakes.” Aw damn, I knew my braking needed work (that’s usually where I was getting passed), but I was a little doubtful about there being a full 2 seconds to find – but, I wasn’t going to argue with someone who does this with far better riders than myself, so we set up a plan to discuss some drills for my next day at the track. In addition, Catalyst Reaction Suspension had resprung my rear shock, so I was also

Summing It All Up - 2019-2021

Crashes, Bike Bits, and Confidence Backstory In early 2019 I thought I had finally turned a corner on my current bike, a 2017 ZX10R. The first AFM round of that year I went out and started dropping time like crazy, finally down to my previous personal best times at that track. The next round I showed up with high hopes, only to end up with an epic highside that launched me to the moon and over 50' before coming for a landing. For a very long time, I couldn't figure out what caused that to happen, and while I could come up with things that might have contributed, it didn't quite add up.  After that, however, a series of cross-country moves started taking place in my life, as did learning new tracks, new riders, new race organizations, new track providers - plus everything "normal" people deal with on major moves like that.   I made some progress over the remainder of 2019, slow, but saw improvements. 2020 saw ANOTHER cross country move to ANOTHER region of the US,