Skip to main content

Plans In Motion

Things finally took a more positive turn on March 15th when I finally got released for weight bearing on the broken leg. Getting to that point was a long process - nearly 4 months since I broke it, 2 surgeries, 1 external fixator, 2 plates, and 18 screws later, and I'm able to start moving forward with my 2017 plans, albeit with the winter set backs leaving me behind the power curve. 

Despite all that, along with my mechanical sponsor, DareDevil Motorsports, we've been able to get my 2017 ZX10R from Roseville Kawasaki ready to go without a rush. Jesus of DareDevil is pretty detailed on his work, and the bike will be tip top with his set up, some Dunlop tires, and I'll make my debut ride on April 9th with Pacific Track Time. Of course, coming off the broken leg (let's just say atrophy is a bitch) I'm trying to keep my expectations low - but to be honest, I'm guessing I'll still be sorely disappointed in my performance as the reality is that I know my expectations are really higher than I'm likely to accomplish.

I've been back on the street bike for about a week now, and each ride gets slightly easier and I struggle a little less each time. Ankle flexibility and muscle endurance are definitely the biggest issues, but overall riding is proving to be a little easier than I expected - at least in the street environment. Not the same as trying to navigate a track with a new liter bike after riding my little 675 the past 2 years. 

I'm still excited to finally begin my season. After auditing the YCRS at Buttonwillow Raceway for a day earlier in March, I'm looking forward to the chance to execute my "fundamentals" on the new bike. My primary goal is to focus on those, and specifically, eyes and brakes at turn in. Even if I'm slow, I want to be working on those things specifically so that as my speed returns the fundamentals are becoming habitual rather than always having to think of them!

At this point I'm having to harness my inner Honey Badger, every single step hurts at least a little bit, sometimes a lot, and I will be racing in a month on one of the most technical tracks out there (Sonoma Raceway). I've got a few track days between now and then, but I still have a lot of work in front of me. I'm also trying to readjust to my "normal" schedule again now that I'm back on the bike. I need to be getting to the gym again, but still suffer from a) being more tired than normal and b) my leg getting plain old worn out prematurely. Ugh. It's a mix of doing enough but not doing too much. Hard to find that balance, too....

...but the good news is I'll be back out there soon, and can't wait to get on the new bike and turn some laps on it finally! Even if it's slow and easy, at least we'll be out there together - finally! 

With help from RiderzLaw and BARF Racing, despite the medical bills, I'll be able to be out at Round 2 and riding - hopefully not feeling too held up by my lack of winter training!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Back On The Grid! April 2024

WERA – Talladega Gran Prix – April 13-14, 2024 It’s been a hot minute since I’ve been on a grid. Between life “shitake,” trying to get my business going, essential gear backorders, and the puppy, I hadn’t been able to get on an actual grid for a couple years. Sure, a few trackdays in there, and plenty of miles in the north Georgia mountains, but actually gridding up, going on green, and battling to the checkered was an experience that was growing a bit dim. Racing makes the rest of life boring. Seriously. That first flag this weekend for A Superstock, as we all launched into turn 1, “oh, ya, THIS IS RACING!!!!” was the thought that ran through my head. I had no delusions of being a “front runner” unless the grid in a race was small. Other than the previous weekend with Precision, I hadn’t been to Tally in over 2 years, and have never had brag worthy laptimes. My goals were to drop a little more time off my times there, and I had a “reasonable stretch” goal in mind. With Tally being so

Thunderhill Trackday - Smashing That PB!!

Lately I haven’t been doing too many blog updates in regards to trackdays – mostly because if I’m at the track, a fair bit of time is often spent instructing or I’m simply working on implementing feedback. This last day at the track, however, warrants a bit of a write up. After the last AFM round, Ken Hill ( khcoaching.com ) had watched my videos. I had been feeling pretty good about seeing sub-2 minute laptimes at Thunderhill, and was pretty stoked with the progress. Right up until Ken called and told me “we need to fix your braking. There’s 2 seconds to be had on your brakes.” Aw damn, I knew my braking needed work (that’s usually where I was getting passed), but I was a little doubtful about there being a full 2 seconds to find – but, I wasn’t going to argue with someone who does this with far better riders than myself, so we set up a plan to discuss some drills for my next day at the track. In addition, Catalyst Reaction Suspension had resprung my rear shock, so I was also

Summing It All Up - 2019-2021

Crashes, Bike Bits, and Confidence Backstory In early 2019 I thought I had finally turned a corner on my current bike, a 2017 ZX10R. The first AFM round of that year I went out and started dropping time like crazy, finally down to my previous personal best times at that track. The next round I showed up with high hopes, only to end up with an epic highside that launched me to the moon and over 50' before coming for a landing. For a very long time, I couldn't figure out what caused that to happen, and while I could come up with things that might have contributed, it didn't quite add up.  After that, however, a series of cross-country moves started taking place in my life, as did learning new tracks, new riders, new race organizations, new track providers - plus everything "normal" people deal with on major moves like that.   I made some progress over the remainder of 2019, slow, but saw improvements. 2020 saw ANOTHER cross country move to ANOTHER region of the US,