Skip to main content

Race Report, AFM Round 3, 2017 Thunderhill Raceway



Going into this round, I wasn’t sure what to expect. I knew my leg was feeling better overall, but it was still weak and stiff, and I was also dealing with this PICC line and the antibiotics schedule that was throwing a major wrench into my day to day life. Despite all of that, I was looking forward to getting out to my favorite track and putting down some laps.


I arrived Thursday evening to set up and claim some space, and prep for the trackday on Friday. I only had a few sessions on this bike on this track, so I knew I needed some serious seat time. Friday dawned cool and nice, and I headed out early on to utilize the time I had. 

Throughout the day, things were going okay, but as I was riding it was becoming obvious some changes were needed. I kept thinking “this line worked great on the Daytona, but it does NOT work on this bike!” The biggest issue, however, is I wasn’t sure what I needed to change/fix….while I had previously been given some very general information (“square off the corners more”) I’m a bit thick sometimes and need more detailed information to actually implement.

Thankfully, Ken Hill had talked to one of his instructors, Pat Farrand, who was there working with another racer for the day. Pat ended up with a free session the end of the day and offered it up to me – which I gladly jumped on. This was invaluable – while it was the very last session of the day, he pinpointed my issue(s) and I had an action plan for Saturday on things I could work on implementing. 

Friday Trackday, photo by gotbluemilk.com
Saturday looked to be another great day, and I headed out for early practices knowing I’d be missing most of the afternoon due to tire changes and med schedules. Implementing the changes definitely required that I back off my pace a bit, but it seemed to be helping out. I was having to rethink the track and change how I saw it, so there were some major mental changes, and some physical inputs I had to change up as well. It was a lot to take in, and while my pace suffered, I felt like I was starting to “get” it towards the end of the day.

I had one race on Saturday, and while my times were still sad, I knew that the AFemme class was my best chance at a trophy. If I kept myself together, I may even be able to pull a win out of it. We headed out for our warm up lap and then gridded up. I was going to be racing against Valentine Welch, who’s racing MotoAmerica, on her GSXR600, and Jennifer Lauritzen on her ZX10R. I knew neither of them would be willing to “give away” anything as they are both fierce competitors. 

We launched and Valentine got the hole shot. I was able to keep up with her, and followed her the first couple laps, noticing a few places where I could out power her and realizing I could keep her behind me in the areas where the 600 would be a bit stronger. On our 3rd lap I passed her going up the hill into turn 9, and from there it was a battle to be sure she and Jen both stayed behind me. We were also hitting lap traffic about this time, so slicing and dicing through the 250’s became a factor. The closing speeds on this bike vs my Daytona were proving to be interesting as I would accelerate a lot faster now. I managed to keep the other two behind and crossed the finish line in the lead. 

Photo by Oxymoron Photography

My laptimes weren’t great, but my best of the weekend and similar to what I was doing at this time last year – not great, but not terrible all things considered. I also saw a lot of places where I could make up a lot of time as I get dialed into the bike. This marked my first win as an expert in the AFemme class, and it was well earned with the other gals not handing it to me!

Saturday night was fairly laid back, and I eventually wandered off to bed after my evening meds (seriously this is a royal PITA). Sunday came upon us a bit warmer and promising to cause some interesting things in terms of playing games with temperatures and tire pressures. I had two races, race 4 and race 6. For some reason, however, I just couldn’t get my head in the game and “go-mode” just couldn’t be drummed up. Later on I realized I was WAY more exhausted – both physically and mentally – than I realized. Knowing I wasn’t in go-mode, I decided to take my time and focus on continuing to hit my marks and making sure I was on the right line, implementing the changes from Friday’s session with Pat.

Photo by Oxymoron Photography

Both races had a pretty similar outcome. In Open Superstock I completely botched my start – maybe my worst race start to date. This put me in the back of the pack and a few faster novices were with me before turn 1. I still couldn’t turn on the fight-mode, so I just focused on my fundamentals. My times reflected this as I wasn’t breaking any records for me or the weekend, but at least I felt like I was accomplishing my goal of hitting most of my marks more often than not. Jennifer was right with me in both races, but managed to pass me on the last lap in both of them, getting her revenge for the previous day LOL. 

Photo by Oxymoron Photography

Once I was done racing I started puttering around with packing up, although I planned to stay through the end of my teammates races to ensure everyone could make it home safe n sound. As the afternoon waned on, I was packed up, and upon the completion of their races and some goodbyes, I headed home to unload and try to relax. The exhaustion started to hit pretty hard, and I was glad I was heading out and looked forward to a good night’s sleep.

Overall, the weekend was productive. Of course, I still hoped for more out of myself, but that being said, all things considered, it was still useful and I feel like what I learned will pay off in dividends as the summer progresses. I now know how I need to “see” the track for the bigger bike vs the smaller bike, and I also have a better idea of what I need to do physically to make that happen. Still bummed I’m having to go through this process now rather than back in Jan/Feb/Mar, but it is what it is, so dealing with the cards I’ve been dealt. 

Nicky Hayden Memorial Lap: Photo by Oxymoron Photography


Next round is in late July back at Thunderhill. I’ll have a couple trackdays on the east course before then, so hopefully I can be pretty well prepared. My fitness loss is a definite issue and something I need to be making a priority despite the leg and med schedules. Looking forward to getting back on the beasty and continuing the process of getting used to it and figuring out how to ride it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Back On The Grid! April 2024

WERA – Talladega Gran Prix – April 13-14, 2024 It’s been a hot minute since I’ve been on a grid. Between life “shitake,” trying to get my business going, essential gear backorders, and the puppy, I hadn’t been able to get on an actual grid for a couple years. Sure, a few trackdays in there, and plenty of miles in the north Georgia mountains, but actually gridding up, going on green, and battling to the checkered was an experience that was growing a bit dim. Racing makes the rest of life boring. Seriously. That first flag this weekend for A Superstock, as we all launched into turn 1, “oh, ya, THIS IS RACING!!!!” was the thought that ran through my head. I had no delusions of being a “front runner” unless the grid in a race was small. Other than the previous weekend with Precision, I hadn’t been to Tally in over 2 years, and have never had brag worthy laptimes. My goals were to drop a little more time off my times there, and I had a “reasonable stretch” goal in mind. With Tally being so

Thunderhill Trackday - Smashing That PB!!

Lately I haven’t been doing too many blog updates in regards to trackdays – mostly because if I’m at the track, a fair bit of time is often spent instructing or I’m simply working on implementing feedback. This last day at the track, however, warrants a bit of a write up. After the last AFM round, Ken Hill ( khcoaching.com ) had watched my videos. I had been feeling pretty good about seeing sub-2 minute laptimes at Thunderhill, and was pretty stoked with the progress. Right up until Ken called and told me “we need to fix your braking. There’s 2 seconds to be had on your brakes.” Aw damn, I knew my braking needed work (that’s usually where I was getting passed), but I was a little doubtful about there being a full 2 seconds to find – but, I wasn’t going to argue with someone who does this with far better riders than myself, so we set up a plan to discuss some drills for my next day at the track. In addition, Catalyst Reaction Suspension had resprung my rear shock, so I was also

Summing It All Up - 2019-2021

Crashes, Bike Bits, and Confidence Backstory In early 2019 I thought I had finally turned a corner on my current bike, a 2017 ZX10R. The first AFM round of that year I went out and started dropping time like crazy, finally down to my previous personal best times at that track. The next round I showed up with high hopes, only to end up with an epic highside that launched me to the moon and over 50' before coming for a landing. For a very long time, I couldn't figure out what caused that to happen, and while I could come up with things that might have contributed, it didn't quite add up.  After that, however, a series of cross-country moves started taking place in my life, as did learning new tracks, new riders, new race organizations, new track providers - plus everything "normal" people deal with on major moves like that.   I made some progress over the remainder of 2019, slow, but saw improvements. 2020 saw ANOTHER cross country move to ANOTHER region of the US,