Skip to main content

And Like That, 2018 Is Kicking Off!

I'd say it's early in the planning stages for the coming season, but I'd be lying. The reality is that bike(s) are already getting torn down and put back together; sponsorship packages are already sent out; sponsors are already rolling in; parts are being bought; and wallets are cringing in fear.



Okay, my wallet is past cringing. It's now curled up in the corner, crying and having seizures. And it has only started. 

Taking a few of the lessons from last year, a few things have been in the works. For starters, the race team, which we had started under the honey badger name, is becoming official and we are working on a professional presence. We're still amateurs at this point, but we want to at least look like professional amateurs who are on their way to try some bigger things.

The other stuff is a bit more personal. One lesson I learned the hard way this last year was in regards to bike set up. Finances were tight after medical bills started rolling in, and I thought I'd be better off waiting to set up the bike until I was close to my old pace. BIG mistake. I knew I wasn't confident in the bike, but I thought a lot of that was me. Well, a lot of it was the bike. I knew this as soon as we resprung it, but I still delayed on going to a suspension tuner who knew me and my riding style. That was another big mistake. I don't ride like a lot of the guys, their set ups simply won't work for me. Too bad it took me most of the year to realize that.

SO, this winter the bike is getting set up for what I want to do with it, not where I'm currently at. No, I'm not adding a bunch of horsepower I'm not using, but I am setting the bike up in terms of suspension, tuning, geometry, etc so that it is performing like it can. Whether I like it or not, my willingness to push things is very dependent on my confidence in the machine doing what it should. Getting a set up for one pace, then coming close to that, then changing everything again so I can make the next leap - nope, done playing that game.

I'm refining my sponsorships and how I will be representing these amazing companies and people this next year. There are plans for increased social media outputs as well - I've been pretty good about posts and race reports, but could definitely expand more into the video realm - I've got enough background in it that making the time for that would be a nice bonus to the things I'm already doing.

And far from last, there's working on myself. I was able to start figuring out my weak areas on the bigger bike, so I'm spending a fair bit of time on mindfulness training to teach my brain to see the track faster, especially in the horsepower sections. Train myself to only have x amount of time to get through the motions I'm used to having y amount of time for.

Rehabilition of my leg and re-finding my fitness is a daily thing again. For much of the summer, walking was a challenge. Now, things have progressed where I can return to the gym (depending on the day) and I can work on losing the extra pounds I packed on. Those are daily choices and things I'm working on constantly, but will play a big part in my ability to perform this coming season.

A huge shout out to everyone, and especially my amazing sponsors, who hung with me through a tough year. I can't make promises about 2018, but what I will promise is that I will work my tail off, pretty much every single day, to make this coming year the best I can. My sponsors have been not only great supporters, but good friends, and I want to see them succeed as well, and I will be working to expand my offerings in promoting them as well.

Here's to a winter of hard work and continued determination - Happy Holidays everyone! 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Back On The Grid! April 2024

WERA – Talladega Gran Prix – April 13-14, 2024 It’s been a hot minute since I’ve been on a grid. Between life “shitake,” trying to get my business going, essential gear backorders, and the puppy, I hadn’t been able to get on an actual grid for a couple years. Sure, a few trackdays in there, and plenty of miles in the north Georgia mountains, but actually gridding up, going on green, and battling to the checkered was an experience that was growing a bit dim. Racing makes the rest of life boring. Seriously. That first flag this weekend for A Superstock, as we all launched into turn 1, “oh, ya, THIS IS RACING!!!!” was the thought that ran through my head. I had no delusions of being a “front runner” unless the grid in a race was small. Other than the previous weekend with Precision, I hadn’t been to Tally in over 2 years, and have never had brag worthy laptimes. My goals were to drop a little more time off my times there, and I had a “reasonable stretch” goal in mind. With Tally being so

Thunderhill Trackday - Smashing That PB!!

Lately I haven’t been doing too many blog updates in regards to trackdays – mostly because if I’m at the track, a fair bit of time is often spent instructing or I’m simply working on implementing feedback. This last day at the track, however, warrants a bit of a write up. After the last AFM round, Ken Hill ( khcoaching.com ) had watched my videos. I had been feeling pretty good about seeing sub-2 minute laptimes at Thunderhill, and was pretty stoked with the progress. Right up until Ken called and told me “we need to fix your braking. There’s 2 seconds to be had on your brakes.” Aw damn, I knew my braking needed work (that’s usually where I was getting passed), but I was a little doubtful about there being a full 2 seconds to find – but, I wasn’t going to argue with someone who does this with far better riders than myself, so we set up a plan to discuss some drills for my next day at the track. In addition, Catalyst Reaction Suspension had resprung my rear shock, so I was also

Summing It All Up - 2019-2021

Crashes, Bike Bits, and Confidence Backstory In early 2019 I thought I had finally turned a corner on my current bike, a 2017 ZX10R. The first AFM round of that year I went out and started dropping time like crazy, finally down to my previous personal best times at that track. The next round I showed up with high hopes, only to end up with an epic highside that launched me to the moon and over 50' before coming for a landing. For a very long time, I couldn't figure out what caused that to happen, and while I could come up with things that might have contributed, it didn't quite add up.  After that, however, a series of cross-country moves started taking place in my life, as did learning new tracks, new riders, new race organizations, new track providers - plus everything "normal" people deal with on major moves like that.   I made some progress over the remainder of 2019, slow, but saw improvements. 2020 saw ANOTHER cross country move to ANOTHER region of the US,