Skip to main content

2018 Season Trackday Opener with Pacific Track Time



I was just going to do a quick Facebook post about the opening weekend with Pacific Track Time here in Northern California, but it started to get rather long and I was barely into the write up, so turned it into a blog post instead.


I’m going to start with a spoiler though. If you’ve followed me at all, you know last year was tough with the whole situation with my leg. Most don’t know the real extent of it, and that’s fine, but the reality is even at the end of last year, when the scare was gone, my leg was still giving me a lot of trouble. I worked pretty darn hard this winter to keep at rehabbing my leg and body, while making sure I didn’t cause a new injury or aggravate an old one. 


At the end of last year, I still couldn’t tolerate wearing my race boots between sessions, and my leg would swell up like a balloon at night, and was cranky for days afterwards. I’m stoked to report that I got home after the weekend, and my leg felt like it did on any normal day! No extra cranky, no unusual swelling, and nothing more than it typically does. Seems the winter work, the time, the pain, the stretching-to-the-edge-of-tears on a daily basis has paid off in a VERY measurable way. Oh, and I kept my boots on all day (unless I was completely out of my suit LOL). 


This weekend was scheduled for our most local track, Sonoma Raceway. The weather was looking okay – cold, actually pretty darn cold at night, but warming up a bit during the day. Rain was threatened, but looked like it would hold off until Sunday night long after we’d be gone. 


In a last minute rush I managed to get all the parts for my bike collected, assembled, and on the bike, and thankfully Viserion fired right up after sitting there mostly disassembled for the better part of 3 months. I headed to the track right after work on Friday, and got there at a decent time thinking I’d get unloaded, say my hellos, and then have some time that evening to relax. Unfortunately, the track had other plans, and instead we all got diverted to Lot 2 while a car group took their sweet time clearing out of the paddock. This gave some time to catch up with some friends, and finally, long after it was dark (and we were all starving), we were allowed in to get set up for the next day.


The chill in the air was obvious, and once unloaded and mostly organized for the morning, with my bike tucked under its cover, I headed to the hotel, some delivery pizza, and to get some sleep in a warmer spot. 


The next morning I arrived to the track to find everything covered with a nice touch of frost – proving the chill of the night before. I finished setting up and helping get everything ready for the trackday to kick off, then go ready to head out for the first C group lead-follow session. The track was cold and slick, but most people were being pretty reasonable with their pace and the day moved forward. I had a couple of customers that requested some coaching, so spent some time working with them in addition to general control riding.


During all of this I was also just trying to feel out my bike. I had changed a lot over the winter, some of it pretty major (like completely different suspension). I was also finding some small adjustments that needed to be made, such as the angle of my clip-ons. The footpeg position on the bike had been a problem since I started riding it, and after getting my street bike, which had a different brand of aftermarket rearsets, I was really not happy with these. My fellow instructor, Greg, was getting to hear about my complaints, and he takes a look at the rearsets and pointed out that I could simpley swap the base plate to the opposite side and have them angled up instead of down. Duh!! Never even occurred to me, and that was an instant problem solver. Now the only issue was going to be retraining my body as I had found a “work around” that wasn’t great, but helped, and had ridden that way for over 10 months by that point. 


The track stayed slightly slick the rest of the day on Saturday, and being the first day of the year and all the changes, I took it easy and just worked on feeling everything out. The new suspension was HUGE. Suddenly my bike did what I felt like it should be doing under braking. I finally felt like I could be confident on the brakes, although a year of fighting was still in the back of my mind/habits, the difference in how the bike responded was massive. I was really starting to look forward to Sunday and my chance to work with Tyler O’Hara and get some on-track dedicated coaching for myself the next day to kick off the season on a good foot.


Saturday evening was a chance to hang out with the crew and catch up after a winter away from the track family, and then I headed back to the hotel a bit early to get a good night’s sleep as I was exhausted.


Sunday morning, once I had worked through some stuff for PTT, Tyler arrived and we sat down and went over the plan for the day and in general. Then, at the second session of the day, we headed out to get things started. 


Throughout the day we worked on a wide variety of things from topics I already knew I needed to work on, to things he picked up on and saw as we were riding. Getting the immediate feedback, and having the lead-follow options were great as we could discuss lines or how to handle a certain corner, I could follow, then apply, and tweak all in a session. We ended up discussing pretty much every corner on the track, lots of little tweaks here and there, plus a few changes in how I was riding up to and including body position, and using the pegs a lot more.





The track heated up nicely through the day, and grip was significantly better than it had been the day before. Some people were really rolling! Overall, I was having a lot more fun on my bike. The suspension, even without so much as a baseline sag, was such a massive improvement (along with fixing my footpegs) that I was feeling FAR more confident on the bike than I had since I bought it. Having Tyler there to keep my head in the right place was rather helpful too, as at one point I was getting to the “trying too hard and getting frustrated” point, and it was pretty obvious and he made it a point to get the focus back on the important things.


By the time I had to head out to manage the grid, I had a full day. My brain was starting to go into overload, and I had a lot of things to think about and process through. I knew I’d be spending the next couple days processing all the information and how best to apply it to my riding in general, to other tracks, and just making sure I “recorded” everything so I could remind myself of it as needed.


I went out a couple times the last hour – track was cooling off, so I just chilled and repeated what we had been working on earlier in the day at a more relaxed pace. The shiny side had stayed up, and I wanted to finish the day that way, so just reiterated to my mind and muscles the lessons from earlier.


Overall, it was a terrific weekend, and I’m really glad with a lot of my choices and decisions over the winter in terms of my off-season training, the bike upgrades/changes, and overall outlook. I know I had fun – and in fact, I’m fairly certain that I had a lot more fun than I’ve yet to realize since my mind is still processing all the information. I think in another 24-48 hours I’ll realize just how much fun I actually had this weekend 😊




Huge shout outs to my 2018 sponsors – you support of the sport, this gal, and motorcycle racing in general is invaluable! I’ve got a great group of partners this year, and I’m looking forward to continuing to improve as a rider, racer, and representative! 


See you at Round 1 in a few weeks!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thunderhill Trackday - Smashing That PB!!

Lately I haven’t been doing too many blog updates in regards to trackdays – mostly because if I’m at the track, a fair bit of time is often spent instructing or I’m simply working on implementing feedback. This last day at the track, however, warrants a bit of a write up. After the last AFM round, Ken Hill ( khcoaching.com ) had watched my videos. I had been feeling pretty good about seeing sub-2 minute laptimes at Thunderhill, and was pretty stoked with the progress. Right up until Ken called and told me “we need to fix your braking. There’s 2 seconds to be had on your brakes.” Aw damn, I knew my braking needed work (that’s usually where I was getting passed), but I was a little doubtful about there being a full 2 seconds to find – but, I wasn’t going to argue with someone who does this with far better riders than myself, so we set up a plan to discuss some drills for my next day at the track. In addition, Catalyst Reaction Suspension had resprung my rear shock, so I was also

Summing It All Up - 2019-2021

Crashes, Bike Bits, and Confidence Backstory In early 2019 I thought I had finally turned a corner on my current bike, a 2017 ZX10R. The first AFM round of that year I went out and started dropping time like crazy, finally down to my previous personal best times at that track. The next round I showed up with high hopes, only to end up with an epic highside that launched me to the moon and over 50' before coming for a landing. For a very long time, I couldn't figure out what caused that to happen, and while I could come up with things that might have contributed, it didn't quite add up.  After that, however, a series of cross-country moves started taking place in my life, as did learning new tracks, new riders, new race organizations, new track providers - plus everything "normal" people deal with on major moves like that.   I made some progress over the remainder of 2019, slow, but saw improvements. 2020 saw ANOTHER cross country move to ANOTHER region of the US,

WERA Roebling Road March 2021 - Ya Win Some, Ya Lose Some.....

 ....and sometimes you do both within half a lap. But that's not how the weekend started. Making races this year was looking very hit and miss, but with RIDERZLAW continuing their title sponsorship, a few rounds were not outside the realm of possibility; as finances were working out, I set up to head to Roebling Road, one of only 2 tracks I made it to last year for a race. I was excited to see if a) mentally I was back to a better place and b) to finally race a familiar track. Friday practice went smoothly, and by the end of the day I was feeling very comfortable at my previous pace, and could tell I had a lot left in me. Issue was, I still wasn't nailing the entire track - parts of it, but there were a couple places that still needed to come together for me, turns 1 and 5 in particular. Saturday I had a fairly early race with Formula 1 - with not even so much as a trackday since last September, it took me the better part of 2+ laps to "remember" I was racing, not jus