Skip to main content

AFM Round 1, 2018 #302 Race Report


The 2018 season was rapidly approaching, and for many of us in the northern California region, there had been very little (if any) seat time on our bikes over the winter months. Rainy, cool weather meant track time was limited, and what days there were, had less than ideal conditions. Race season was kicking off anyways, so time to head down and get our game faces on! RiderzLaw was back on board as title sponsor for me, and I was looking forward to showing off the new livery.

My plan for this weekend was simple – lay a solid foundation to build from for the rest of the year. My leg, which had been a major issue throughout 2017, was far less of an issue now, and I wanted to kick the year off figuring out how to get my Roseville Kawasaki ZX10R around the track. To that end, Tyler O’Hara (who I decided to use as my primary coach this season) was going to be at our Friday practice, so I arranged to work with him for the day. I had never really gotten any lessons on getting this bike around this track, and figured I’d be better off taking this round as a learning experience and fixing things earlier rather than later.

I arrived Thursday evening, got unloaded and set up, then headed into town for a little sleep. Bright and early Friday morning I arrived to make sure me and my bike were ready to go. Tyler arrived, and we laid out the plan for the day. Each session we worked on some new things, sorting out some of my problem areas, tweaking and changing my lines and inputs on the big bike, and adjusting how I was “seeing” the track. I walked away with a pile of information, and my brain was a bit on overload, but I also figured once everything had time to process and I had a little more seat time to implement it would pay off.


Friday night my fellow Velocity Racing teammates plus a few other friends headed into town for dinner, and eventually off to bed. Saturday dawned sunny and bright, promising a good start to the day, although rain was threatening that afternoon. My pit crew arrived, and we got the day lined up, and eventually started heading out for practice sessions. The entire plan for Saturday practice was for me to work on stringing everything we had worked on the day before together. I knew that flow would be key to being able to eventually pick up the pace, so I just wanted to work on making things feel smooth and connected.

My practices went well enough, and the afternoon races got started. My AFemme race was the last race of the day, and the weather decided not to cooperate, and we got pushed to Race 0 on Sunday. I realized I’d have a chance to really see if my fitness over the winter had paid off, as I was now looking at 4 races in one day, 3 of them being before lunch. Saturday evening we socialized for awhile, then back into town for dinner as we were all rather hungry, and then turned in a bit earlier as we were all pretty darn tired, too.

Sunday dawned looking better than Saturday had left us, and things kicked off on time. As an added bonus (and pressure LOL), the AFemme class was chosen as the lunchtime podium celebration, which sounded pretty cool (the lunchtime podium is always a Sunday race, so since we normally run on Saturday, we never get up there). Practice sessions went out, and I made sure I was ready to get going for the race start.

Finally, the anthem played and the races kicked off. We rolled up for our warm up lap, gridded up, and when it was time for our wave, we launched! Valentine and Shiree both got great starts, mine was okay, but Valentine took the lead from the start. I obviously have some horsepower on her 600 though, and we diced it up for the first half of the race. Eventually she got back around me and seemed to find 5th gear, while I started to fatigue. Valentine took a clear win, and I was determined to make sure she had to work for it a little harder come the next round.


Back to my pits where my DareDevil Motorsports pit crew got the bike ready for Race 2, which was Open Superbike. We headed out, and the grid seemed to have a lot of heroes out there. We got a red flag in the first 2 laps, and back in we went. Race restart was called, and we gridded up again. There were still bikes dropping like flies, but (thankfully?) I was slow enough to pretty much stay out of that. Coming through Riverside, however, there was a crash that had occurred on the left kink, and glanced over to see what looked like my teammate. We were red flagged shortly after, and as I rolled past on my way to the pits, I took a closer look, and sure enough it was him. Bummer. Race was in the books, however, as we were past the halfway point.


Next up was Race 5, Open GP. Thankfully I seemed to be holding up pretty well physically, at least at the pace I was running, so that was a good feeling after putting in the work over the winter to get my fitness back as best I could. Apparently, my fatigue during AFemme was just the warming-up-slump. This race things started to get more fun again as one of my pit mates, Adli, and I were running a pretty similar pace. We got to duke it out for the race, right until he messed up the bus stop and ran off track, leaving me to take the spot.


Our lunchtime podium was a blast – it was fun to stand up there, get to represent our sponsors and open the champagne (my leathers still smell a little like fermented grapes). This was the highlight of the weekend for me, as it’s not something I’ll be doing again anytime soon, so it was fun to have the chance to experience it! Still brings a smile to my face when I think about it.


I had some downtime in the afternoon, so watched the rather exciting Formula Pacific race, and did a little pre-packing that I could. My last race was Race 13, the second to the last race of the day. I figured there’d be a good chance Adli and I would be battling it out again, and this race did not disappoint. We were back and forth a couple times, but I managed to get past him heading onto the front straight and held my position.


That wrapped up the opening weekend for the AFM. Overall, I consider the weekend a complete success. I managed to keep my focus on my fundamentals and flow, and by the end of the weekend that all paid off in a willingness to try things I had been scared of doing before. My times were nothing brag worthy, but I learned a ton, had fun, and actually enjoyed racing and riding my bike again. I wasn’t overly pressuring myself, and keeping focus on what I needed to focus on meant I enjoyed the entire experience.

My “bad” leg held up quite well. Other than the fact that I can’t feel about 2/3 of the bottom of my foot, it really wasn’t anything I noticed. Hard to tell if my foot was in the proper place on the peg, and I kept bumping the shifter accidently (not enough to shift, but enough to trigger the sensor and cut the engine) but some seat time and muscle memory development will eliminate that problem.

This weekend was a great way to kick off the year, and I’m looking forward to continuing to apply the things I learned. Best wishes to all the injured riders, and here’s hoping everyone makes a full recovery!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Back On The Grid! April 2024

WERA – Talladega Gran Prix – April 13-14, 2024 It’s been a hot minute since I’ve been on a grid. Between life “shitake,” trying to get my business going, essential gear backorders, and the puppy, I hadn’t been able to get on an actual grid for a couple years. Sure, a few trackdays in there, and plenty of miles in the north Georgia mountains, but actually gridding up, going on green, and battling to the checkered was an experience that was growing a bit dim. Racing makes the rest of life boring. Seriously. That first flag this weekend for A Superstock, as we all launched into turn 1, “oh, ya, THIS IS RACING!!!!” was the thought that ran through my head. I had no delusions of being a “front runner” unless the grid in a race was small. Other than the previous weekend with Precision, I hadn’t been to Tally in over 2 years, and have never had brag worthy laptimes. My goals were to drop a little more time off my times there, and I had a “reasonable stretch” goal in mind. With Tally being so

Thunderhill Trackday - Smashing That PB!!

Lately I haven’t been doing too many blog updates in regards to trackdays – mostly because if I’m at the track, a fair bit of time is often spent instructing or I’m simply working on implementing feedback. This last day at the track, however, warrants a bit of a write up. After the last AFM round, Ken Hill ( khcoaching.com ) had watched my videos. I had been feeling pretty good about seeing sub-2 minute laptimes at Thunderhill, and was pretty stoked with the progress. Right up until Ken called and told me “we need to fix your braking. There’s 2 seconds to be had on your brakes.” Aw damn, I knew my braking needed work (that’s usually where I was getting passed), but I was a little doubtful about there being a full 2 seconds to find – but, I wasn’t going to argue with someone who does this with far better riders than myself, so we set up a plan to discuss some drills for my next day at the track. In addition, Catalyst Reaction Suspension had resprung my rear shock, so I was also

Summing It All Up - 2019-2021

Crashes, Bike Bits, and Confidence Backstory In early 2019 I thought I had finally turned a corner on my current bike, a 2017 ZX10R. The first AFM round of that year I went out and started dropping time like crazy, finally down to my previous personal best times at that track. The next round I showed up with high hopes, only to end up with an epic highside that launched me to the moon and over 50' before coming for a landing. For a very long time, I couldn't figure out what caused that to happen, and while I could come up with things that might have contributed, it didn't quite add up.  After that, however, a series of cross-country moves started taking place in my life, as did learning new tracks, new riders, new race organizations, new track providers - plus everything "normal" people deal with on major moves like that.   I made some progress over the remainder of 2019, slow, but saw improvements. 2020 saw ANOTHER cross country move to ANOTHER region of the US,