Skip to main content

AFM Round 7, 2018 - End of a Season


If you’ve followed my race reports at all, you know there have been some struggles. If you’ve talked to me in person, you probably have a better feel of just how much of a struggle things have been since I decided to move on the ZX10R. Between my leg and mechanical issues, it’s been a rough two years.

Things were finally sorted out, at least for the time being. The leg is what it is at this point, and I’m familiar enough with its shortcomings that it’s not much of an excuse anymore. The bike is running well and is no longer actively trying to kill me, so that excuse has taken a hike. The last part was bike set up. On these big bikes it just really seems like proper set up makes a massive difference, and little things that are unknown or missed just crush (at least my) confidence. This has finally started to get moved in the right direction, and with a quick re-spring on the front this weekend, I felt like things were finally “getting there.”

Coming into the weekend was a rush – I had a big conference related to work in San Diego, I wouldn’t be flying back until Friday afternoon, then would have to load up and head to the track to get set up for Saturday. My bike had started the lovely “Kawasaki rattle” aka a cam chain tensioner taking a dump, so DareDevil rush ordered me a manual one so we could install it on Saturday morning. Additionally, Fuzzy was going to be bringing some lighter springs so we could try that to see if we could get the bike more manageable for me.

Saturday morning the guys all got to work on stuff, and the bike ran great, so I headed out for the second practice session of the day to test out the suspension so we could hopefully get him dialed in before the races. I immediately noticed the bike was diving into corners pretty strongly – so bad, in fact, that going into turn 2 it dove right into the inside of the corner! I was a bit shocked by this (I mean, who the hell crashes on the INSIDE of the corner?!?) but managed to keep the round black things facing the right direction and worked to adjust for the super quick turning I was getting. 

As I got on the bike for the next practice session, I looked down, and quickly realized why the bike may have been diving in – my upper triple bolts on both forks hadn’t been retightened after we did the springs! We quickly clamped those down and threw a wrench on the others to be sure nothing else was loose and I headed out. Much better this time around, bike was far more predictable and handling better than it ever has.

Photo by 4theRiders.com

Throughout the day we made a few more tweaks, and then eventually it was time to head out for the first race of the weekend, AFemme. My times were down to some of my best track day times, but still  not quite where I was hoping, so I looked forward to a race to really help me push things a little bit more. We gridded up, and due to the size of the Clubman races, there were 50+ bikes in front of us! Oh boy, traffic was going to be a problem!

As usual, Shelina got ahead pretty quickly, and I was again determined to try to hang as long as I could. She wasn’t walking away as quickly as earlier in the year, but we hit traffic on the first lap, and she worked through the first couple riders way better than I did, and that was pretty much the last of what I saw of her. In the meantime, however, Valentine was right on my tail, and started showing me a wheel, eventually making a pass using her great entries and corner speed. I, however, had the horsepower and drive to get her back on the exits and faster sections, so we went back and forth several times throughout the race, but my horsepower advantage let me get by and hold the lead in the end, which meant taking home 2nd place. It was a fun race, and we had some great battles while working through the Clubman field.

The Snuggling Sequence: Photo by Oxymoron Photography

The Snuggling Sequence: Photo by Oxymoron Photography

The Snuggling Sequence: Photo by Oxymoron Photography

That evening was hanging out with friends and seeing people I know I will miss dearly over the next couple months, eventually tucking off to bed for a good night’s sleep. I wanted to have a great Sunday, my Saturday had gone well, the bike was feeling good, and I felt like things were moving in a really good direction – finally.

I headed out for a quick warm up on Sunday, then prepped for my first race, Open Superbike. I knew my bike was working pretty well for me, and I wanted to get my head in the right space, so picked a couple things to focus on and tried to set the rest aside. We gridded up and I got a pretty decent start, but I’m still struggling with the “intimidation” factor in the first few corners, so a lot of bikes were around me before we were even to turn 6. I started to get into a rhythm after that, however, and soon found a couple novices who I know and trust who made it up to me, so I settled in to working on giving some chase. I knew from my laptimer I was already setting a new personal best on this bike, and came in from the race to find that I had finally dipped back into the sub-2 minute category. Not by much, and only one lap, but lots of 2 flats along with it. I felt like I had more to go, and got ready for Open GP.

Photo by 4theRiders.com

We headed out for Open GP, started the race, and on our second lap, got a red flag. Came back into the pits, and got sent back out fairly quickly. Another restart, and off we went. My starts were pretty decent both times, but again fell victim to that initial intimidation. I then realized that the slightly increased pace compared to what I’ve been doing was taking a noticeable hit on my endurance. I was getting tired, and just worked to maintain what I was doing. Some more 2 minute laps, but definitely a bit slower than my SB race. All of my normal “battle buddies” had missed the weekend, so I was instead finding myself with a few of the faster novices part way through. At least had some bikes around me and people to chase.

Photo by Oxymoron Photography

One more tweak to the bike as I came in from that race, and then I had time to rest and relax before Open Superstock at the end of the day. With that being my favorite race, I really wanted to be sure I was ready and did everything I could to recover and prepare. Eventually it was time to get out there, and we headed out. The bike felt great on the warm up, and because of people who weren’t there, I had a front row grid spot. Final start was decent as well, and I did my best to hang with the pack a little longer this race. I had some fun chasing the guys a bit, and then some of my novice “friends” came up and the carrot was out there. I finished the race dropping a bit more time off my earlier PB, and some additional sub-2 laps. The bike felt great, I didn’t feel like I was riding on the ragged edge, and lots of places where I now feel confident enough to start chipping away at things – again - finally.

Photo by Oxymoron Photography

So, I ended the season feeling – satisfied with my final races. I can’t quite say “proud” as I still would have liked to have seen a new PB overall, but taking 2 seconds off my best times (ever) on this bike is still a major improvement – especially when I see SO many places I can work on improving as the confidence continues to return. This weekend felt like a bit of a redemption as well. There was finally measurable, repeated, forward progress in the right direction. To be honest, pre-breaking my leg, this is about where I had imagined I would be in the first half of 2017, instead of the tail end of 2018, but a lot took place in there that no one could have predicted.

In the end, it’s coming back, I’m not as stagnant as I was starting to feel, and maybe – just maybe – that sheer stubbornness is starting to pay off a teensy bit. I’ve been out here, turning laps, chasing problems, adjusting everything from my riding to my bike, learning a completely new platform, and this was the first weekend where I feel like the better part of 2 years of sweat, blood, tears, and no small amount of money finally showed some positive progress. It’s a better kick off for the next year, and while not “brag worthy” it’s still a big step I was finally able to take.

I cannot thank my sponsors, friends, and teammates enough for everything this past year. Without your help, support, cheers, and candid talk this wouldn’t have happened. 

Photo by Oxymoron Photography

The support from RiderzLaw has been instrumental in helping me achieve the means to get out there, get this bike set up, and sort out the issues. They are seriously the best in the business of motorcycle injury attorneys, and they have taken care of several of my friends, far better than any other law firm would have.

Roseville Motorsports has some of the best customer service of a dealership I have ever found, and they support the sport which is getting harder and harder to find these days. Ali has always been a top-notch representative of RM, and he takes care of his customers even years after leaving with your bike.

DareDevil Motorsports are a passionate team of riders, racers, coaches, and mechanics, who will take care of you, your bike, and any other moto needs you may have.

BARF Racing – what I can I say. Ultimately, my BARF connections are what led me to where I am, and the community is one that cannot compare. Proud to be a part of the team!

Catalyst Reaction Suspension Tuning has helped me throughout the years with getting my bikes headed in the right direction, and they are always helpful and patient with all of my questions and concerns, from suspension to mechanical, they can take care of it.

Dunlop tires keep my bike the shiny side up, and the crew over there are just awesome. Friendly, fun, and hey, they throw the best parties in the paddock!

Dainese Store in San Francisco carries more gear than any other bay area store, the highest quality gear, in nearly every size they make. My D-air has saved my bacon a couple times, and has more than earned its value.

Pacific Track Time – what can I say. Hands down the best track day org out there! Fast riders with a passion for the sport.

Oxymoron Photography makes me at least look like I’m going fast, even if I’m not! Great photos, even better people.

Hustle Hard Racing seems to have those needed parts and pieces when you are most desperate, and are a presence in the paddock.

O2 Creations did some amazing graphics and vinyl work.

Fast Frank Racing has those little parts like captive spacers and brackets that are life savers at the track.

Skratch Labs keeps my hydrated and feeling great even on the hottest of days.

Chicken Hawk Racing tire warmers keep my Dunlops warm and sticky.

Motion Pro makes the best tire gauges, tools, and other items that make your life easier every day.

A special thanks to my Curve Unit sisters for supporting my racing habit and just being a wonderful group of women who I still blame for my addiction!

My coach this past year, Tyler O’Hara, has been instrumental in helping keep the 6” between my ears from exploding. Not only is he a great coach on track, but his understanding of the mental aspects of the sport is unparalleled. He cares about his students and is a phenomenal rider to boot.

Last but not least, Fuzzy, for helping me finally get this beast tamed and rideable – the confidence boosts from a properly working bike are already paying off in very measurable seconds.

Huge thank you to all of our corner workers, volunteers, board members, and everyone else who keeps this club and races running smoothly!

To all of my teammates, pit mates, racing, and track friends – thank you for making 2018 a memorable year despite “everything.” This community is the best one anywhere, and even a bad weekend can seem pretty great with such an awesome group of folks around you!

Here’s to 2019!

Photo by Oxymoron Photography

Comments

  1. Great article! Great riding! Made me feel like I was right there with yah!(:

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Back On The Grid! April 2024

WERA – Talladega Gran Prix – April 13-14, 2024 It’s been a hot minute since I’ve been on a grid. Between life “shitake,” trying to get my business going, essential gear backorders, and the puppy, I hadn’t been able to get on an actual grid for a couple years. Sure, a few trackdays in there, and plenty of miles in the north Georgia mountains, but actually gridding up, going on green, and battling to the checkered was an experience that was growing a bit dim. Racing makes the rest of life boring. Seriously. That first flag this weekend for A Superstock, as we all launched into turn 1, “oh, ya, THIS IS RACING!!!!” was the thought that ran through my head. I had no delusions of being a “front runner” unless the grid in a race was small. Other than the previous weekend with Precision, I hadn’t been to Tally in over 2 years, and have never had brag worthy laptimes. My goals were to drop a little more time off my times there, and I had a “reasonable stretch” goal in mind. With Tally being so

Thunderhill Trackday - Smashing That PB!!

Lately I haven’t been doing too many blog updates in regards to trackdays – mostly because if I’m at the track, a fair bit of time is often spent instructing or I’m simply working on implementing feedback. This last day at the track, however, warrants a bit of a write up. After the last AFM round, Ken Hill ( khcoaching.com ) had watched my videos. I had been feeling pretty good about seeing sub-2 minute laptimes at Thunderhill, and was pretty stoked with the progress. Right up until Ken called and told me “we need to fix your braking. There’s 2 seconds to be had on your brakes.” Aw damn, I knew my braking needed work (that’s usually where I was getting passed), but I was a little doubtful about there being a full 2 seconds to find – but, I wasn’t going to argue with someone who does this with far better riders than myself, so we set up a plan to discuss some drills for my next day at the track. In addition, Catalyst Reaction Suspension had resprung my rear shock, so I was also

Summing It All Up - 2019-2021

Crashes, Bike Bits, and Confidence Backstory In early 2019 I thought I had finally turned a corner on my current bike, a 2017 ZX10R. The first AFM round of that year I went out and started dropping time like crazy, finally down to my previous personal best times at that track. The next round I showed up with high hopes, only to end up with an epic highside that launched me to the moon and over 50' before coming for a landing. For a very long time, I couldn't figure out what caused that to happen, and while I could come up with things that might have contributed, it didn't quite add up.  After that, however, a series of cross-country moves started taking place in my life, as did learning new tracks, new riders, new race organizations, new track providers - plus everything "normal" people deal with on major moves like that.   I made some progress over the remainder of 2019, slow, but saw improvements. 2020 saw ANOTHER cross country move to ANOTHER region of the US,