Skip to main content

AFM Round 1, 2019 – Redemption at Last


Racing is either something you really feel the need to do, or it’s not. There may be a few out there who will consistently show up here and there, but they are few and far between. This particular weekend ended with me sobbing big, giant, dragon tears in my truck on the way home. And there was no physical damage involved….



As the 2019 season approached, I was finally feeling like I was ready. I knew the bike was functioning mechanically. I had a great suspension tuner (Mike Canfield with MCTech) who had agreed to work with me. My busted up leg was at least consistent and muscle memory had finally developed to mask the worst of the ongoing issues it gives me. The bike was set up and ready to run, and mentally, I was coming around as well.



I was still hesitant to set my sights too high, as the last two years have been one struggle after another as I simply wanted to get within striking distance of what I had been doing on my old 2007 Triumph 675. As I drove down to Buttonwillow for the opening weekend races, I decided to keep my expectations low – all I expected out of myself was a new personal best on this bike. Not overall as that seemed pretty out of reach still.



I arrived and got set up in our garage, and prepared for Friday’s practice. I had signed up for 4 Sunday races with plans to scratch one of those no matter what. If a miracle was presenting itself on Friday, I would attempt a run at Formula Pacific and scratch Open GP or Open Superbike. If things went as I expected they would, I’d scratch F.P.



Friday was slow. My first session out I was crawling along at a slow 250 pace. By the end of the day, we were making progress on the setup, but I was still a good 5 seconds off my previous race pace on this bike. Saturday practice wasn’t much better, and while I creeped closer I was still going pretty slow, so I went ahead and scratched F.P.



First race was Saturday’s AFemme race. I was stoked to have Valentine out there on her 450 again, as I knew I’d at least have someone to race with. Shelina was out there on her R1, but I had no delusions of keeping up with the way practice had gone – I know it’s in me, somewhere, but that part of me still seemed firmly buried.



As has been the case for this race, being a wave behind the Clubman Mid grid means we hit traffic very early on – Valentine and I ran into traffic by the time we were coming into the Sweeper on our first lap. I wasn’t sure if I had simply motored distance between us until she showed me a wheel going into Sunset using those amazing entries of hers, which was the motivation I needed to start pushing my brake markers in a bit as I had been being very ginger on corner entry all weekend. I managed to hold her off across the finish line though, and took home 2nd place, with a lap time of 2:01.131, just a hundredth of a second off my previous PB on this bike.





We made some more adjustments to the bike as it felt like the front end was really vague on corner exit, making me very nervous to get on the gas any harder as I was just praying it wouldn’t let go. Once that was done, it was once more time to hang out with everyone, watch the slow races, and enjoy an evening catching up after the winter.



My first race on Sunday was Open Superbike. Since we were gridded by last year’s points, and I had ran the entire season, I was (much to my dismay) on the second row. This normally might seem great, but we had a number of national teams plus a stacked grid of local and Southern racers all piled up behind me – there were 56 bikes on the grid….I am a long ways from being the 8th fastest rider out there. I just wanted to survive, which proved to be a good goal as there were crashes, contacts, exploding bike parts flying over my head and a restart with several more crashes all in that race. Despite all of that, I survived, and set a new PB for this bike of 2:00.693, still over that 2 minute mark, but making progress.





There’s not much down time between that race and Open GP, so I just tried to gather myself and make sure I didn’t let the last race’s craziness affect me this race. Again my grid was towards the front, but at least this grid was a bit smaller overall, and I was one row further back. I had a pretty decent start, and settled into chasing down a few friends. Jay made his way up behind me along with Gabe and Daniel and a few others and I was determined to do my best to keep them back there. The front end of the bike was working, but now the back end felt like it wasn’t squatting like it should and I was spinning up the rear way earlier than I should be, kicking in the TC on a couple occasions when it would step out on me. I managed to hold Jay off across the line, but just barely, coming in to find I had taken another hunk out of my lap times, getting down to a 1:58.453.





We swapped the rear tire and Canfield helped me make some adjustments to see if we could wrangle the beasty into something more controllable. A couple turns and clicks later it was time to wait for my final race. In the meantime, we relaxed, chatted, watched a stacked Formula Pacific race, and did a little pre-packing as well.



Finally it was time to head out for Open Superstock. There wasn’t a way to test the changes we made, so it was a bit of an unknown if we had done the right things. I had an okay start, finally getting used to my new clutch, and we were off. My fellow PTT staff member, Dave, passed me, and I decided that I couldn’t let that go, so decided to put my head down and give him chase. I know Dave, I know how he rides, and I trusted being close to him, so it was a great battle. The bike was feeling GREAT, and I was able to start confidently pushing things that had been scaring me before. I managed to motor past on the front straight, and held him off for a bit, but then he passed me back going into Phil Hill. I was hanging with him, and figured I could get him back on the straight again, but the white flag was out – so I decided to go for broke and tried to out brake him going into Sunset rather than racing to the checkered. My gamble failed as I messed up my line and hence my exit trying to make that happen, and he crossed the line in front of me – but not by much!



I came in from my final race to see I had worked down to a 1:56.581, only 0.3 seconds off my best lap EVER at Buttonwillow. It was a comfortable pace, too - yes, I was working for it, but no where near the ragged edge.






And this was only the first round of the season.



After winding down, loading up, and saying some goodbyes, I was on the road and headed home. As I was driving I realized just how amazing it felt to finally be back where I had left off prior to the leg mess and the new bike. Then the emotions behind two years of struggling, two years of seeing little to no progress, two years and tens of thousands of dollars spent and finally getting back to where I had been striving to return to, hit me. It hit me hard.



The tears came.



They were happy tears. VERY happy tears. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Back On The Grid! April 2024

WERA – Talladega Gran Prix – April 13-14, 2024 It’s been a hot minute since I’ve been on a grid. Between life “shitake,” trying to get my business going, essential gear backorders, and the puppy, I hadn’t been able to get on an actual grid for a couple years. Sure, a few trackdays in there, and plenty of miles in the north Georgia mountains, but actually gridding up, going on green, and battling to the checkered was an experience that was growing a bit dim. Racing makes the rest of life boring. Seriously. That first flag this weekend for A Superstock, as we all launched into turn 1, “oh, ya, THIS IS RACING!!!!” was the thought that ran through my head. I had no delusions of being a “front runner” unless the grid in a race was small. Other than the previous weekend with Precision, I hadn’t been to Tally in over 2 years, and have never had brag worthy laptimes. My goals were to drop a little more time off my times there, and I had a “reasonable stretch” goal in mind. With Tally being so

Thunderhill Trackday - Smashing That PB!!

Lately I haven’t been doing too many blog updates in regards to trackdays – mostly because if I’m at the track, a fair bit of time is often spent instructing or I’m simply working on implementing feedback. This last day at the track, however, warrants a bit of a write up. After the last AFM round, Ken Hill ( khcoaching.com ) had watched my videos. I had been feeling pretty good about seeing sub-2 minute laptimes at Thunderhill, and was pretty stoked with the progress. Right up until Ken called and told me “we need to fix your braking. There’s 2 seconds to be had on your brakes.” Aw damn, I knew my braking needed work (that’s usually where I was getting passed), but I was a little doubtful about there being a full 2 seconds to find – but, I wasn’t going to argue with someone who does this with far better riders than myself, so we set up a plan to discuss some drills for my next day at the track. In addition, Catalyst Reaction Suspension had resprung my rear shock, so I was also

Summing It All Up - 2019-2021

Crashes, Bike Bits, and Confidence Backstory In early 2019 I thought I had finally turned a corner on my current bike, a 2017 ZX10R. The first AFM round of that year I went out and started dropping time like crazy, finally down to my previous personal best times at that track. The next round I showed up with high hopes, only to end up with an epic highside that launched me to the moon and over 50' before coming for a landing. For a very long time, I couldn't figure out what caused that to happen, and while I could come up with things that might have contributed, it didn't quite add up.  After that, however, a series of cross-country moves started taking place in my life, as did learning new tracks, new riders, new race organizations, new track providers - plus everything "normal" people deal with on major moves like that.   I made some progress over the remainder of 2019, slow, but saw improvements. 2020 saw ANOTHER cross country move to ANOTHER region of the US,