Skip to main content

Final 2019 AFM Round for this Gal


After some things coming together for me in other areas of my life, I finally made the decision to accept my job’s offer to move me with them to Texas when my current lease is up. That meant I would be changing race series, but without many championships on the line, it didn’t seem wise to ride out the season with the other risks that would be involved. I would be jumping straight into the CMRA June round, and missing no races, but that still made Round 2 my final AFM round and I was looking forward to going out with a bang. Riding had been going well, I was getting comfy on the bike, and my pace kept improving. I had high hopes.

Photos by Oxymoron Photography

Unfortunately, I took “high” and “bang” a little too literally.

On our Friday practice day, I was cruising around, and in the afternoon started to see some decent laps, putting down 1:58s despite a fair bit of traffic. I was looking forward to Saturday and my regular practice group, and seeing if I could make a Formula Pacific showing before I moved. I went out for what was going to be my final Friday session, hoping traffic would be lighter and I could maybe get down to the 57s or maybe even 56s. I was rolling through, had just passed one of my friends going into Cotton Corners, leaving me with clear track in front of me. I put my head down and decided to push a bit. That was apparently the wrong choice with the tire/temp/wind/dust/throttle combo, and as I came into the fast, left kink before the bus stop, the rear suddenly spun up on me, and I was launched into a low orbit.

After my air time, I hit, HARD, but thanks to my D-Air when I came to a stop I assessed my damage and it seemed relatively minor and I was able to get up and wait for the crash truck.
Bike obviously had some damage, but was still rolling in mostly one piece, and I was mostly in one piece, but that night I was fairly certain I was done for the weekend. When Jesus and the guys with DareDevil arrived, however, they were pretty sure they could get the bike rideable – I wasn’t sure about my own riding condition, but figured if nothing else it would be good to get back on the horse and at least do a few laps that didn’t involve a major crash.
By the end of Saturday the bike was back together and we made it through tech and I was ready to go for Sunday. Jesus thought the bike handled fine and rode straight in the pits, so my practice session would be my shakedown to be sure it was okay at a little more speed and to also see how I was feeling.

Photos by Oxymoron Photography

Sunday morning I headed out for practice, taking my time. The bike felt okay, wasn’t doing anything weird, but my body was having a few things to say about the situation. I was hoping it would get better with a little more time, so still planned to head out for my first race, Open Superbike. 

We gridded up, but this race tends to be a bit of a shit show, and this day did not disappoint. I was in a fair bit of pain trying to move around on the bike, and every bump was torture, so I just wanted to finish my (very slow) laps and come in, and hopefully not get collected in anyone else’s bullshit. Managed to do that, and came in, not feeling good at all, but thinking maybe some modifications to my back protector would help.

Photos by Oxymoron Photography

There’s not much time between Open SB and Open GP, so I pulled the tail off my back protector to give my rump more room in my suit, hoping that would allow me a bit more comfort. We headed out, and this race was a bit calmer. I was still going slow, it even felt slow, but my body had no intention of putting up with any additional pace. I finished up my laps and came in, basically just cruising around the track – and almost in tears. Riding was pure torture, so I was done. If I had at least been able to go quickly with that pain it maybe would have been worth it, but going that slow, in that much pain, was not worth it. I had turned some laps, bike felt fine, but I couldn’t focus on riding at all, so decided that was enough self-torture and scratched my afternoon.

Photos by Oxymoron Photography

Slowly packed up that afternoon and once everyone in our group had finished their day relatively unscathed, I headed home to recuperate and get ready for my next races in June – in Texas.

I will miss my AFM family, but have no doubt I will be back to see everyone again!

Big shout outs to all of my sponsors, race team, friends, corner workers, and all of the AFM family – it’s been very memorable, and you probably haven’t seen the last of me 😊 Most of my sponsors are sticking with me through the move/season, so looking forward to expanding our “reach” to another area!

Now I’m going to go put some ice on my butt…..

Photos by Oxymoron Photography

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thunderhill Trackday - Smashing That PB!!

Lately I haven’t been doing too many blog updates in regards to trackdays – mostly because if I’m at the track, a fair bit of time is often spent instructing or I’m simply working on implementing feedback. This last day at the track, however, warrants a bit of a write up. After the last AFM round, Ken Hill ( khcoaching.com ) had watched my videos. I had been feeling pretty good about seeing sub-2 minute laptimes at Thunderhill, and was pretty stoked with the progress. Right up until Ken called and told me “we need to fix your braking. There’s 2 seconds to be had on your brakes.” Aw damn, I knew my braking needed work (that’s usually where I was getting passed), but I was a little doubtful about there being a full 2 seconds to find – but, I wasn’t going to argue with someone who does this with far better riders than myself, so we set up a plan to discuss some drills for my next day at the track. In addition, Catalyst Reaction Suspension had resprung my rear shock, so I was also

Summing It All Up - 2019-2021

Crashes, Bike Bits, and Confidence Backstory In early 2019 I thought I had finally turned a corner on my current bike, a 2017 ZX10R. The first AFM round of that year I went out and started dropping time like crazy, finally down to my previous personal best times at that track. The next round I showed up with high hopes, only to end up with an epic highside that launched me to the moon and over 50' before coming for a landing. For a very long time, I couldn't figure out what caused that to happen, and while I could come up with things that might have contributed, it didn't quite add up.  After that, however, a series of cross-country moves started taking place in my life, as did learning new tracks, new riders, new race organizations, new track providers - plus everything "normal" people deal with on major moves like that.   I made some progress over the remainder of 2019, slow, but saw improvements. 2020 saw ANOTHER cross country move to ANOTHER region of the US,

WERA Roebling Road March 2021 - Ya Win Some, Ya Lose Some.....

 ....and sometimes you do both within half a lap. But that's not how the weekend started. Making races this year was looking very hit and miss, but with RIDERZLAW continuing their title sponsorship, a few rounds were not outside the realm of possibility; as finances were working out, I set up to head to Roebling Road, one of only 2 tracks I made it to last year for a race. I was excited to see if a) mentally I was back to a better place and b) to finally race a familiar track. Friday practice went smoothly, and by the end of the day I was feeling very comfortable at my previous pace, and could tell I had a lot left in me. Issue was, I still wasn't nailing the entire track - parts of it, but there were a couple places that still needed to come together for me, turns 1 and 5 in particular. Saturday I had a fairly early race with Formula 1 - with not even so much as a trackday since last September, it took me the better part of 2+ laps to "remember" I was racing, not jus