Skip to main content

CMRA Round 5, 2019 – MSR Cresson CW – Moving Up in the World


Rolling into the 5th round for the CMRA I had a bit more time to prepare than I had for Round 4. I had a trackday going the same direction a week before, which gave me time to work on getting lines established on this rather technical track. 

MSR Cresson presents some new challenges to this California rider. It is bumpy, and there are bad seams in various places on the track. This means that the “lines” are not necessarily the “best” line, but the ones that are the fastest race line around all of the extra challenges in the surface of the track. Granted, everyone is on the same track, and apparently these bumps and seams have been there, well, forever, but when I was used to maybe one or two corners where you had to take those kinds of things into account, it was now pretty much every single corner that had some extraneous considerations.

I decided to save a few bucks and only do ½ day on Friday to refresh my memory. Some dumb-dumb, who shall remain nameless, decided that even though her set up was working great the previous Sunday that she should change things before the races. Needless to say, Friday’s sessions were nothing but frustration as I was fighting the bike the whole time. I managed to go a little faster than I had the previous weekend, but it was stressful and mistake ridden, and it was all I could do to make it happen. After a strict reminder of “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” from my friend/pit help/coach, I put things back where they had been for the following day when I would have one brief practice before heading out for my first race of the weekend.


It was a late night, but sleep was had, and we arrived bright and early ready to kick off my second race weekend with CMRA. For some fantastically magical reason, the bike was working great during my warm up practice session, and I looked forward to gridding up and hopefully getting drug into some faster laps.

We headed out for the A Superstock race, and with how CMRA lines up their grids, I looked forward to being able to use my generally pretty good starts to hopefully put me in the mix of things a bit more. My launch wasn’t very good – for a split second my brain reverted to watching for a flag instead of the lights, so I was a bit off the mark, but still got up with a number of other bikes by the time we got to the first corner – and boy was there some drama going on! Thankfully managed to avoid all the slicing and dicing and kept my wheels on pavement, unlike some of my fellow competitors. After that it was time to settle into the race and try to see if I could work on improving my position in the pack. The first couple laps managed to get drug along with the group a bit and dropped my times into the 26’s, providing my best lap of the race. My fitness eventually proved to be a major hinderance as I started to fade about mid-way through the race. My last two laps I really faded off only to get passed by the front runner with about 1/3 of a lap to go – fortunately or unfortunately, it wasn’t all bad as I was pooped!

I came in to find I had moved up the pack a little bit though, with 3 riders behind me + one crashed bike, so that part felt great. I looked forward to Sunday and hoping I could pull out some more speed.



First up on Sunday was A Superbike – generally one of the faster classes, and I wanted to get a good launch and see if I could avoid getting lapped this time around on this short track. My start was good this time, and I did my best to hang onto the faster group as long as I could, dipping into the 25’s. Once again, however, my fitness (or lack thereof) combined with the heat, and I just couldn’t maintain that pace. I stayed pretty consistent in the 26’s-27’s, and did not get lapped, which meant finishing all 8 laps. 

I came in exhausted, but I was pretty stoked to find that with the start, my fight, or “rawr” as I like to call it, seemed to be coming back. Not fully fledged out yet, but that was something I had lost after the leg and bike situations, and I was beginning to wonder what it would take to get it back. Finding that I fought through the start, held my spot, and didn’t just give up to other riders was a great feeling. 



Honestly, that was probably my highlight for the weekend.

After that there was a long, hot wait until my last race, which was also the very last race of the day – F40 Heavy. I really hoped the downtime would let me recover and that I could keep my motivation up to push through for a final improvement.

Being the old-farts race, I had hopes here of fighting for something more, but my lack of training off the bike bit me big time. I was 1-2 seconds off my pace earlier in the day and couldn’t seem to dig more than that out of myself. Some defensive lines kept me from last place, but I was once again fighting for “not last” rather than moving up through the pack. I finished, but this race mostly proved that only a couple weeks of getting back to being more active and working out wasn’t going to make much of a difference yet and I had a long way to go before next year rolls around.



Overall, the round wasn’t bad. I got a valuable “slap in the face” on a few things that I need to correct as a rider. First off, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Secondly, that fitness thing needs to be ramped up and is going to start being one of the big factors holding me back if I don’t correct it NOW. Thirdly, this bike can work for me, when it’s set up right. If I’m not happy with it, even if I can’t put my finger on it, speak up and say something. Someone else may have a clue what the issue is. 

Good things were a) I moved up in the pack a teensy bit, and I had some fun; b) I’m getting better on the throttle – where 600’s could beat me in straights/faster sections at the California tracks (where my perception of time was throwing me off), here, that is not the issue, and the other liter bikes have to work to get around me (and it’s generally the technical areas where they have to do it). As these pieces all start to fall into place, and I’m getting them lined up where they need to be, the puzzle is coming together…

The weeks before the next round are being spent working my butt off in the gym, getting my eating focused, and keeping other activities going so my body starts to get used to the idea of being active again rather than sitting around all the time. 

Next round happens soon, so no excuses!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Back On The Grid! April 2024

WERA – Talladega Gran Prix – April 13-14, 2024 It’s been a hot minute since I’ve been on a grid. Between life “shitake,” trying to get my business going, essential gear backorders, and the puppy, I hadn’t been able to get on an actual grid for a couple years. Sure, a few trackdays in there, and plenty of miles in the north Georgia mountains, but actually gridding up, going on green, and battling to the checkered was an experience that was growing a bit dim. Racing makes the rest of life boring. Seriously. That first flag this weekend for A Superstock, as we all launched into turn 1, “oh, ya, THIS IS RACING!!!!” was the thought that ran through my head. I had no delusions of being a “front runner” unless the grid in a race was small. Other than the previous weekend with Precision, I hadn’t been to Tally in over 2 years, and have never had brag worthy laptimes. My goals were to drop a little more time off my times there, and I had a “reasonable stretch” goal in mind. With Tally being so

Thunderhill Trackday - Smashing That PB!!

Lately I haven’t been doing too many blog updates in regards to trackdays – mostly because if I’m at the track, a fair bit of time is often spent instructing or I’m simply working on implementing feedback. This last day at the track, however, warrants a bit of a write up. After the last AFM round, Ken Hill ( khcoaching.com ) had watched my videos. I had been feeling pretty good about seeing sub-2 minute laptimes at Thunderhill, and was pretty stoked with the progress. Right up until Ken called and told me “we need to fix your braking. There’s 2 seconds to be had on your brakes.” Aw damn, I knew my braking needed work (that’s usually where I was getting passed), but I was a little doubtful about there being a full 2 seconds to find – but, I wasn’t going to argue with someone who does this with far better riders than myself, so we set up a plan to discuss some drills for my next day at the track. In addition, Catalyst Reaction Suspension had resprung my rear shock, so I was also

Summing It All Up - 2019-2021

Crashes, Bike Bits, and Confidence Backstory In early 2019 I thought I had finally turned a corner on my current bike, a 2017 ZX10R. The first AFM round of that year I went out and started dropping time like crazy, finally down to my previous personal best times at that track. The next round I showed up with high hopes, only to end up with an epic highside that launched me to the moon and over 50' before coming for a landing. For a very long time, I couldn't figure out what caused that to happen, and while I could come up with things that might have contributed, it didn't quite add up.  After that, however, a series of cross-country moves started taking place in my life, as did learning new tracks, new riders, new race organizations, new track providers - plus everything "normal" people deal with on major moves like that.   I made some progress over the remainder of 2019, slow, but saw improvements. 2020 saw ANOTHER cross country move to ANOTHER region of the US,