Skip to main content

WERA Roebling Road March 2021 - Ya Win Some, Ya Lose Some.....

 ....and sometimes you do both within half a lap.

But that's not how the weekend started.

Making races this year was looking very hit and miss, but with RIDERZLAW continuing their title sponsorship, a few rounds were not outside the realm of possibility; as finances were working out, I set up to head to Roebling Road, one of only 2 tracks I made it to last year for a race. I was excited to see if a) mentally I was back to a better place and b) to finally race a familiar track.

Friday practice went smoothly, and by the end of the day I was feeling very comfortable at my previous pace, and could tell I had a lot left in me. Issue was, I still wasn't nailing the entire track - parts of it, but there were a couple places that still needed to come together for me, turns 1 and 5 in particular.

Saturday I had a fairly early race with Formula 1 - with not even so much as a trackday since last September, it took me the better part of 2+ laps to "remember" I was racing, not just spinning laps. I picked up my pace, but still nothing spectacular. Turn 1 was feeling a lot better, and I was feeling a lot braver into it. I was excited for my next race and the chance to put my head down and see what I was made of.

Later in the day I got ready for race 10, the A Superstock class. I was stoked and ready to go - had my game face on, head was in a good place, and I was ready to roll. We gridded up and launched, and I was determined to put in a good race.

In the previous four races I have started at this track, the grid is passing me in turns 1 and 2, gapping me by 3, and gone by the time we are through turn 4.

This time, I was hanging. In the mix, with the group - and holding my own. We were coming out of 4 and I was right there in the pack, and now determined to keep it that way. There was one small problem however - hanging with this pack meant I was running 4-5 seconds/lap faster than I ever had. Between a completely new found pace, and coming into one of the corners on the track that I really had NOT figured out, I had a moment....

Judging by where my head was at (don't let these guys get away) and what the guy behind me witnessed, I believe I tried to do the same thing I had been getting away with at my previous pace - accelerating between the kink and the final half of the corner. Issue being, I was carrying a LOT more speed, and a lot more lean angle, and on slightly the wrong line for that pace. When I went to do my "usual," I was immediately and violently highsided right over the bike. 

After body slamming into the pavement and a rough tumble into the grass, I came to a stop. Not entirely certain that I was actually "okay" or not, I crawled away from the bike as my hip area on the left was screaming at me, and it took a bit for me to be sure nothing was broken. With some help over the berm I laid back as sitting was not remotely comfortable.

Eventually back at the pits my friend "G" along with another buddy figured out the bike wasn't too bad off, but did need a new throttle cable. As we were unable to source one, my weekend was done, regardless of whether my derrière was fitting into a suit again.

As it turned out the bike and I both were well bruised, but nothing too serious for either of us. While things didn't end the way I would have wanted, the confidence boost from actually doing what I've known I'm capable of (even if I screwed up in the process) was huge, and I can't wait to get back on a bike in a few days at Barber for a trackday (even if it's on my street bike).

Cool thing for me was doing what I did (right until I yeeted myself) - and I was reminded a valuable lesson: if you're going to suddenly drop 4-5 seconds/lap on a track with laptimes that are in the 70-85 second range, maybe take a few extra precautions with that twisty thing on the right LOL.

Huge shout outs to my amazing sponsors who are all great supporters of this sport!

RiderzLaw

MCTech

DareDevil Motorsports

Roseville Motorsports

Bison Leathers

Motul USA

Fast Frank Racing

Chicken Hawk Racing

MotoGraphix

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Back On The Grid! April 2024

WERA – Talladega Gran Prix – April 13-14, 2024 It’s been a hot minute since I’ve been on a grid. Between life “shitake,” trying to get my business going, essential gear backorders, and the puppy, I hadn’t been able to get on an actual grid for a couple years. Sure, a few trackdays in there, and plenty of miles in the north Georgia mountains, but actually gridding up, going on green, and battling to the checkered was an experience that was growing a bit dim. Racing makes the rest of life boring. Seriously. That first flag this weekend for A Superstock, as we all launched into turn 1, “oh, ya, THIS IS RACING!!!!” was the thought that ran through my head. I had no delusions of being a “front runner” unless the grid in a race was small. Other than the previous weekend with Precision, I hadn’t been to Tally in over 2 years, and have never had brag worthy laptimes. My goals were to drop a little more time off my times there, and I had a “reasonable stretch” goal in mind. With Tally being so

Summing It All Up - 2019-2021

Crashes, Bike Bits, and Confidence Backstory In early 2019 I thought I had finally turned a corner on my current bike, a 2017 ZX10R. The first AFM round of that year I went out and started dropping time like crazy, finally down to my previous personal best times at that track. The next round I showed up with high hopes, only to end up with an epic highside that launched me to the moon and over 50' before coming for a landing. For a very long time, I couldn't figure out what caused that to happen, and while I could come up with things that might have contributed, it didn't quite add up.  After that, however, a series of cross-country moves started taking place in my life, as did learning new tracks, new riders, new race organizations, new track providers - plus everything "normal" people deal with on major moves like that.   I made some progress over the remainder of 2019, slow, but saw improvements. 2020 saw ANOTHER cross country move to ANOTHER region of the US,

Thunderhill Trackday - Smashing That PB!!

Lately I haven’t been doing too many blog updates in regards to trackdays – mostly because if I’m at the track, a fair bit of time is often spent instructing or I’m simply working on implementing feedback. This last day at the track, however, warrants a bit of a write up. After the last AFM round, Ken Hill ( khcoaching.com ) had watched my videos. I had been feeling pretty good about seeing sub-2 minute laptimes at Thunderhill, and was pretty stoked with the progress. Right up until Ken called and told me “we need to fix your braking. There’s 2 seconds to be had on your brakes.” Aw damn, I knew my braking needed work (that’s usually where I was getting passed), but I was a little doubtful about there being a full 2 seconds to find – but, I wasn’t going to argue with someone who does this with far better riders than myself, so we set up a plan to discuss some drills for my next day at the track. In addition, Catalyst Reaction Suspension had resprung my rear shock, so I was also