Skip to main content

2021 - Barber Motorsports Park - July 3-4

 Approaching the Independence Day holiday, I was coming in tentatively hopeful that maybe what I had started to find at Little Tally in May would translate over to a race weekend at Barber. Long and the short of it - it didn't. Not in the ways that really matter anyways (aka, putting down faster laps).

Seat time this spring and summer has been extremely limited, partially due to the crash repairs from Roebling and the money they tied up. Add in the job situation not really sorting itself out, making finances an on-going issue with getting on the bike and actually riding.

The little time I did get at Barber was rather unproductive - working on a lot of basics and trying to remember that I can actually lean my bike - stuff that I thought I had worked out back in 2016 as a novice, but haven't seemed to carry over very well the past couple years.

Friday morning I was meeting my pit buddy and friend, Jessica, with plans to head there in a mini wagon train. Traffic was bad for her, so I decided to finish up my bike prep at home, only to be haunted by one problem after another. Between a sudden skin issue that I couldn't identify, bolts breaking, parts not fitting, and other issues, I was in a pretty rotten mood by the time I was getting on the road. Traffic didn't improve for most of the drive, and neither did my overall mood (or whatever was going on with my skin, which heading into a hot, sweaty, stuffed-in-leathers weekend had me a bit concerned).

We arrived and got settled in, met up with friends, and eventually headed off to a very nice Happy-Birthday-to-me dinner where I accidentally ordered the "bowl" of margarita LOL. The meal was enjoyable and we headed back for some sleep.

Saturday morning I was greeted with whatever reaction my skin was experiencing having spread to my legs - grreeeeaaat, just what I needed. OTC allergy meds didn't seem to be touching it, either. Oh well, it was time to go out and ride.

I headed out to practice and I was going SLOW - so slow, in fact, I'm pretty sure I turned faster laps on my street bike than I was. Times weren't even in the ballpark of a decent track day pace for me. This was not looking good. 

Three races were on the schedule for me - A Superstock, Formula 1, and Sr. Superbike. While I dropped time from my practices, averaging 2 seconds a race, my practice times were so pathetic that I still was a good 2 seconds off previous race times at this track a year ago.

The only excitement was as I rolled out for my Formula 1 race, and felt something flapping against my leg as I came around to the straight, and looking down saw my right side tank shroud had mostly come loose other than the one zip tie up front. I stopped at the very edge of the track way in back and tried to pull it off as the riders finished gridding up. Just as they were starting to change the boards, one good yank finally pulled it free. I practically threw it at the grid marshall who was walking off, and took off for the race, waaaaay in the back. At least gave me a vintage bike to pass lol. 

Trying to hang my hat on consistently dropping time, if I kept that up, come Sunday afternoon I'd have some reasonably legitimate times and maybe have a few other riders I could start actually racing against.

Instead, Sunday morning I woke up to the skin thing getting even worse, and causing some painfully large blisters on one of my feet in addition to everything else. Now this was starting to worry me, but there still wasn't much I could do about it, so I just got ready to go - I could ride without much pain, and didn't need to walk once I was on the bike, right?

Needless(?) to say, things didn't improve much. The only race I wasn't completely alone was the Sr. SB where I held up/got to play with a fellow rider on a 600 - and when he finally managed to pass, it gave me a carrot to chase, and that was my fastest lap of the weekend (still pathetically slow, but at least I had some fun that race).

Since most of my laps were all by myself, I just sat and worked on my own stuff, focusing on lean angle, since I need to start carrying more corner speed, and I can't do that if I'm too scared to lean the bike over. Losing a metric ton of time on the brakes, and being a bit slow to get on the throttle, and cleaning up some more lines were also on my mind, but my main focus was to let go of the brake and lean again - which I did manage to at least accomplish that.



So the weekend could have been worse (no crashes, so that's a plus), bike was working fine, but it basically turned into a very expensive and lonely-on-track track day for me...

2020 may be behind us, and life may be starting to resume for many, but in true AJ fashion, life is taking its sweet time on catching back up to where we left off before the covid mess started. I'm looking forward to my next time on track, as there's been some good progress this year, unfortunately, just not the amount of seat time I apparently need to really get my head extracted from where it seems to be stuck!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Back On The Grid! April 2024

WERA – Talladega Gran Prix – April 13-14, 2024 It’s been a hot minute since I’ve been on a grid. Between life “shitake,” trying to get my business going, essential gear backorders, and the puppy, I hadn’t been able to get on an actual grid for a couple years. Sure, a few trackdays in there, and plenty of miles in the north Georgia mountains, but actually gridding up, going on green, and battling to the checkered was an experience that was growing a bit dim. Racing makes the rest of life boring. Seriously. That first flag this weekend for A Superstock, as we all launched into turn 1, “oh, ya, THIS IS RACING!!!!” was the thought that ran through my head. I had no delusions of being a “front runner” unless the grid in a race was small. Other than the previous weekend with Precision, I hadn’t been to Tally in over 2 years, and have never had brag worthy laptimes. My goals were to drop a little more time off my times there, and I had a “reasonable stretch” goal in mind. With Tally being so

Thunderhill Trackday - Smashing That PB!!

Lately I haven’t been doing too many blog updates in regards to trackdays – mostly because if I’m at the track, a fair bit of time is often spent instructing or I’m simply working on implementing feedback. This last day at the track, however, warrants a bit of a write up. After the last AFM round, Ken Hill ( khcoaching.com ) had watched my videos. I had been feeling pretty good about seeing sub-2 minute laptimes at Thunderhill, and was pretty stoked with the progress. Right up until Ken called and told me “we need to fix your braking. There’s 2 seconds to be had on your brakes.” Aw damn, I knew my braking needed work (that’s usually where I was getting passed), but I was a little doubtful about there being a full 2 seconds to find – but, I wasn’t going to argue with someone who does this with far better riders than myself, so we set up a plan to discuss some drills for my next day at the track. In addition, Catalyst Reaction Suspension had resprung my rear shock, so I was also

Summing It All Up - 2019-2021

Crashes, Bike Bits, and Confidence Backstory In early 2019 I thought I had finally turned a corner on my current bike, a 2017 ZX10R. The first AFM round of that year I went out and started dropping time like crazy, finally down to my previous personal best times at that track. The next round I showed up with high hopes, only to end up with an epic highside that launched me to the moon and over 50' before coming for a landing. For a very long time, I couldn't figure out what caused that to happen, and while I could come up with things that might have contributed, it didn't quite add up.  After that, however, a series of cross-country moves started taking place in my life, as did learning new tracks, new riders, new race organizations, new track providers - plus everything "normal" people deal with on major moves like that.   I made some progress over the remainder of 2019, slow, but saw improvements. 2020 saw ANOTHER cross country move to ANOTHER region of the US,