Skip to main content

AFM Round 5, 2016 – Sonoma Raceway

The time between Rounds 4 and 5 felt like an eternity. While I had spent a fair bit of time at the track in June and early July, most of July and August were pretty quiet. There had been a lot of progress made after the last round, but the better part of two months mostly off from the track also meant my chances at working on application was minimal once that break hit. Additionally, during this down time, my bike had ended up cropping up with a few problems that weren’t so easy to solve, the main one being that my CPS (crank position sensor) and stator had apparently died. Thankfully I was able to discover all of this in time to get the parts I needed and have the bike reassembled in time for the next round without completely freaking out. A few days before I had been able to test ride up and down the street, and all looked good in that department.

I arrived on Friday night to get my garage and set everything up. I like having a chill Saturday morning, so that prep the night before is nice. Saw some of my friends, then headed home for a good night’s sleep. Saturday dawned relatively clear with a promise of early sun (instead of the far-too-common-at-Sonoma-fog) which meant the track would warm up fairly quickly and we’d probably have some good chances for decent practice sessions. My plan for the first session was to just finish bedding in my new brake pads anyways, and then to work on applying my “new” techniques to this bike and this track. I knew I had my work cut out for me as bad habits are just that, and I knew I’d be fighting them.

My practice sessions went smoothly enough, and I was seeing times in the 1:55s which was about where most of my races were at the last round. I knew I’d pick up some time once we actually got out racing. Once tires were swapped, I was ready for my one Saturday race, Clubman Middleweight. I’m not a championship contender in this race, but I like having a Saturday race, so I’ve stuck with this one for this year. We gridded up as the last race of the day. For most of this race I had bikes around me I was getting to chase and some I was trying to stay in front of. Eventually things settled out and the front group was out there beyond my reach, and while there were bikes nearby, there weren’t many big battles to the end. I finished the race in 9th place out of 28. What I did do, however, was kill my previous PB at this track, getting down to a 1:49.4, a good 2 seconds off the best lap I had ever turned at Sonoma! I was excited for Sunday, I saw places I could make up some time, and I was hopeful that I could maybe reach my ultimate goals.



Sunday blessed us with another sunny dawn, and we prepared for our morning races. I was looking at another 5 races, and Sonoma is a VERY physical track. On Saturday I had started to experience some “arm pump” and was starting the day out sore already. I knew that keeping my arms relaxed and doing things right was going to be key to finishing the day strong. If I got careless, there’s no way I’d last through all 5 races…

My first race was race 2, 750 Production. This has kind of been a warm up race for me, but still a chance to get out and race! This race went pretty smoothly, and there wasn’t really any drama. I completed the race in 7th of 14, with a 1:51.0, not quite what I had done on Saturday, but still better than the last time we were here. I then had a little down time before my next race, so I tried to rest up a bit.



600 Production was the next race for me, and this one can definitely be interesting with the large grids. They launched us novices in a separate wave, so we got our own start. We took off, and as we’re going into turn 1, another racer makes a dive-bomb pass across my front. I have to brake a bit to avoid being taken out, which stands my bike and I nearly punt Tomas who was on my right. Thankfully we all managed to get through that okay, and the race continued on. I tried to hang with the front group, but just couldn’t seem to pull that off, and ended up falling back a bit. We were getting into the back of the experts towards the end, however, so I knew my times weren’t horrible. I finished this race in 8th of 25, getting down to a 1:50.5.

Now it was time to rush in and swap my rear wheel. We had one race and lunch, and I knew I’d need some time to relax as my next two races were Formula 1 back to back with my one championship contention, Legacy Middleweight. I knew that two of these back to back was going to tax me physically, and I didn’t want to be gassed going into it! Thankfully time was in my favor, and I had plenty of time to do everything, get some food, and still rest a bit.

I topped off my gas, and we headed out for Formula 1. Another huge grid with a lot of riders, so novices again got our own wave. I went with an okay start, but throughout the race was keeping in mind that my most important race was yet to follow, and to not completely drain myself in this race. I had a clean, somewhat uneventful finish, and came in 9th of 18 with a 1:51.7, which definitely was a result of saving myself a bit. I quickly completed my “cool down” lap and immediately rolled through to my “warm up” lap for Legacy Mid.



This race is the one where I’m contending for the championship. Currently in 3rd place, I wanted to not only defend that, but also try to see if I could squeeze a 2nd out of it before the year is out. I knew Sam, who I’ve been battling with most of the year in this race (and the current 2nd place guy) wasn’t going to make that easy. Since I’m on the front row for the novices in this class, I knew a good start would pay off. The experts have a small-ish grid as well, so I had room to take off into. I knew I wanted to nail my start, so I focused hard on making sure that happened. I saw the green flag coming and launched, well into the expert pack, passing a few of them off the start. I did my best to hang with them as long as I could, although some of them are definitely faster, it was a fun challenge to hang as long as I could. I ended up having a couple of other experts that I was getting to race throughout the race, and it was giving me a good run for my money. We quickly hit wave traffic, and the battles began. There was one expert in particular who I was determined to pass before the end, and I finally managed it! While that did nothing for my own placing, it was a great chance to work with the type of competition I’ll be facing next year. I wasn’t sure of my placing in my class – I knew I was still in front of Sam, but wasn’t 100% sure if anyone else had made it around. I came in to the pit to find out that I had WON! Woohoo! My first win! Finished 1st of 5, with another 1:49.5, which also meant I did a good job of not tiring myself out in the back to back races.



Now I had a couple races to relax, but I was determined to finish strong. I didn’t want that win to slow my determination in the last race. I’m not very competitive in 600 Superbike, but if nothing else, I wanted to finish strong against my own times. I knew I’d have to dig a little bit to make it happen, but it was do-able. I wasn’t that drained yet, I could manage one more race in good standing. I was alone for this one and got ready to go. At the very last moment I realized I had forgotten to get my grid spot for this race! Argh! I quickly ran down and got that and was heading back to the garage when final call came – I just kept repeating my spot in my head since I didn’t have time to write it down. Thankfully remembered it, and we got gridded up. Another decent start, and another race where I couldn’t quite hang with the fast guys, but wasn’t at the back, mostly off on my own, chasing the random bike here n there. I finished the race in 10th of 21, but still finished strong with a 1:49.7. While I’d like to see better placing, I was still happy to have finished right around my best times.



Overall, I was content with the weekend. While I had hoped to see my times get into the 1:47s, which I obviously didn’t pull off, I still gained a fair bit of ground from my previous times and was consistently down at the new times. Getting that first win of my racing career thus far was a pretty good feeling, too, and it’s pretty awesome to see that trophy on display.

My highlight from the weekend, however, was having my track/racing mentor stop me on my way back from picking up my trophy that evening. He had been a coach of mine since I started doing trackdays 4 years earlier, and we had ended up racing together in the Legacy race for awhile. Basically he complimented my riding, and the fact that I was officially riding like an actual racer, and was legitimate competition. While there’s still a lot of time to be gained, and skills that need a lot of refinement, to hear that from someone who knew me as a baby C grouper was pretty inspiring!

This entire weekend wouldn’t have had the same results if it wasn’t for the amazing help I’ve been lucky enough to get on my journey thus far. Ken Hill’s advice has been invaluable. I can’t do enough to thank my amazing sponsors for all of their help in reaching that journey. Please do yourself a favor and take a look at the links on the right side of my blog here – these companies are good people, who make products and provide services that are top notch. I’ve known and worked with most of them long before they were sponsors, and I truly believe they are the best at what they do….and I’m happy to explain why!


Now on to my best track, Thunderhill Raceway in early October! Hoping to go out there and put together some laps that will really show the work that has been going on! See you at the track!



#1stphorm #iam1stphorm #legionofboom

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Back On The Grid! April 2024

WERA – Talladega Gran Prix – April 13-14, 2024 It’s been a hot minute since I’ve been on a grid. Between life “shitake,” trying to get my business going, essential gear backorders, and the puppy, I hadn’t been able to get on an actual grid for a couple years. Sure, a few trackdays in there, and plenty of miles in the north Georgia mountains, but actually gridding up, going on green, and battling to the checkered was an experience that was growing a bit dim. Racing makes the rest of life boring. Seriously. That first flag this weekend for A Superstock, as we all launched into turn 1, “oh, ya, THIS IS RACING!!!!” was the thought that ran through my head. I had no delusions of being a “front runner” unless the grid in a race was small. Other than the previous weekend with Precision, I hadn’t been to Tally in over 2 years, and have never had brag worthy laptimes. My goals were to drop a little more time off my times there, and I had a “reasonable stretch” goal in mind. With Tally being so

Summing It All Up - 2019-2021

Crashes, Bike Bits, and Confidence Backstory In early 2019 I thought I had finally turned a corner on my current bike, a 2017 ZX10R. The first AFM round of that year I went out and started dropping time like crazy, finally down to my previous personal best times at that track. The next round I showed up with high hopes, only to end up with an epic highside that launched me to the moon and over 50' before coming for a landing. For a very long time, I couldn't figure out what caused that to happen, and while I could come up with things that might have contributed, it didn't quite add up.  After that, however, a series of cross-country moves started taking place in my life, as did learning new tracks, new riders, new race organizations, new track providers - plus everything "normal" people deal with on major moves like that.   I made some progress over the remainder of 2019, slow, but saw improvements. 2020 saw ANOTHER cross country move to ANOTHER region of the US,

Thunderhill Trackday - Smashing That PB!!

Lately I haven’t been doing too many blog updates in regards to trackdays – mostly because if I’m at the track, a fair bit of time is often spent instructing or I’m simply working on implementing feedback. This last day at the track, however, warrants a bit of a write up. After the last AFM round, Ken Hill ( khcoaching.com ) had watched my videos. I had been feeling pretty good about seeing sub-2 minute laptimes at Thunderhill, and was pretty stoked with the progress. Right up until Ken called and told me “we need to fix your braking. There’s 2 seconds to be had on your brakes.” Aw damn, I knew my braking needed work (that’s usually where I was getting passed), but I was a little doubtful about there being a full 2 seconds to find – but, I wasn’t going to argue with someone who does this with far better riders than myself, so we set up a plan to discuss some drills for my next day at the track. In addition, Catalyst Reaction Suspension had resprung my rear shock, so I was also