Skip to main content

#302 AFM Round 5, 2017 Race Report



This early September weekend is historically a chance for us to cool off after the summer rounds up at Thunderhill. Typically, Sonoma has nice, cool weather that makes for a very pleasant weekend. The weather gods had other plans in mind this year, however, and the weekend started to look like a scorcher with temps well over 100 degrees.


Since it was a holiday weekend, things were pretty quiet at work on Friday and I managed to sneak out to get loaded and off to the track for the weekend a bit earlier than I originally had hoped. Even in where I live, where it is typically one of the coolest areas in the bay, it was hot. I was soaked with sweat just loading the truck!


I made my way through holiday traffic and got to the track a little after 4 and got started setting up for the weekend. I knew my suspension needed some help, so I headed over to Catalyst Reaction and paid Jim for some help for the weekend. He is familiar with me and my riding, so I figured it was a good place to go since he’d know what I, as a rider, needed in a set up. Sure enough, he tweaked things a bit, offered a couple suggestions, but the big things like spring rates were about where they needed to be with some minor changes – either way, it was close enough that we could work with it for this weekend.


Saturday was looking to be the hottest day of the long weekend, with predicted temperatures soaring well above 110 degrees. I skipped my first practice session to get a massage before starting the weekend, something that I have definitely needed but have been putting off. I made it out for my next practice session, and the bike felt pretty good, and while my times were immediately where they had been the previous trackday, they were still pretty dang slow even for me.


My third session got lost due to a red flag which delayed things and I decided to get my tires swapped while I could. I finally made it back out for the fourth and final session to scrub in the tires and make sure I was on point for the race that afternoon. By this time things were HOT – it was 106 degrees in the garage! Thankfully my Skratch Labs were doing their job, and I wasn’t feeling overheated.


Races kicked off on schedule, and after helping teammates make it out for their races, I got ready for my AFemme race. This year, this has been the only class I’ve been reasonably competitive in, and I was relatively confident I could make a fight for the win – I knew it wouldn’t be an easy win by any stretch, but it felt like it was within reach. Last call finally came, and I headed out to the grid donning my new AGV Pista GPR which I have fallen in love with.


We gridded up, and since I was sitting in second for the season, had my spot on the front row. The green flag dropped and I had a good start. For a moment it looked like Valentine might get the hole shot, but a wheelie on her part gave that spot away and I was able to take the lead. The other 3 ladies were all right on my tail though, and I knew I needed to work to keep them back there. Open track in front of me with competitors behind are always my best laps, so I knew this could be a good race. For the first couple laps I could see Valentine behind me as I was going through 11, and knew I couldn’t let up. Eventually we started to hit lap traffic from the waves behind us, and I had a chance to use some of the new techniques I had asked an experienced racer about earlier that day. Sure enough, I had a couple opportunities to use the slower bikes to my advantage and get the space between Valentine, Jennifer, Daniela, and myself, and I maintained my front position for the entirety of the race, coming home with the win. 

Photo by 4theriders.com

Photo by 4theriders.com



Saturday night had the usual shenanigans, and I eventually headed off to bed in hopes of a better night’s sleep. Sunday dawned hazy and smoky, and my blood shot eyes showed just how badly the smoke and heat had irritated them the day before. Thankfully wearing my contacts didn’t bother me, so no issues there!


My first race on Sunday was Open Superstock. Due to making most of the rounds this year, I actually had a grid spot on the second row (not because of any spectacular finishes). They launched, and since the grid was packed with those chasing championship points, they took off. My leg was, unfortunately, giving me some major issues on right hand corners, and I was really struggling through that. I still finished the race in similar laptimes to the day before, but I wasn’t able to squeeze more out. 

Photo by Oxymoron Photography



Next up was Open GP, which I had a fresh rear tire on for. Since Jennifer had moved back to an R6, I was without my “battle buddy” and figured it may prove to be a slightly boring race. I tried to hang with the front runners as best I could, but that leg just wasn’t going to let me do what I needed, and I couldn’t make up for on the few left turns this track has. I still had a couple bikes I was racing to the end, and finished my weekend as strong as I had started it. At one point during this race I had thought I had hit my right foot peg on the curb on the exit of turn 7, causing a near high side that had me cooling my jets in right handers the rest of the race. As it turned out, I hadn’t done that, but instead had been hit by another rider who nailed my rear tire – I and the bike were fine, he apologized, the only thing that bothered me is I had finished the rest of the laps thinking it was something I had done and was riding accordingly!

Photo by Oxymoron Photography



Oh well, it was a hot weekend at the track that has historically been my worst. I took home a win, and finished my other races. I had a good time hanging with friends, racing motorcycles, and getting more comfortable on my bike. I didn’t quite squeeze out that personal best I was hoping for, although I was within striking distance. I’m looking forward to Thunderhill where there are fewer rights (so my leg will have fewer opportunities to hinder my riding). Overall I had a good weekend, one I am satisfied with, even if I’m not “happy” with it.


Unfortunately, one of my fellow female racers had a bad crash on Sunday, and my thoughts go out to her as she begins what is sure to be a long and miserable recovery.

Photo by 4theriders.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Back On The Grid! April 2024

WERA – Talladega Gran Prix – April 13-14, 2024 It’s been a hot minute since I’ve been on a grid. Between life “shitake,” trying to get my business going, essential gear backorders, and the puppy, I hadn’t been able to get on an actual grid for a couple years. Sure, a few trackdays in there, and plenty of miles in the north Georgia mountains, but actually gridding up, going on green, and battling to the checkered was an experience that was growing a bit dim. Racing makes the rest of life boring. Seriously. That first flag this weekend for A Superstock, as we all launched into turn 1, “oh, ya, THIS IS RACING!!!!” was the thought that ran through my head. I had no delusions of being a “front runner” unless the grid in a race was small. Other than the previous weekend with Precision, I hadn’t been to Tally in over 2 years, and have never had brag worthy laptimes. My goals were to drop a little more time off my times there, and I had a “reasonable stretch” goal in mind. With Tally being so

Thunderhill Trackday - Smashing That PB!!

Lately I haven’t been doing too many blog updates in regards to trackdays – mostly because if I’m at the track, a fair bit of time is often spent instructing or I’m simply working on implementing feedback. This last day at the track, however, warrants a bit of a write up. After the last AFM round, Ken Hill ( khcoaching.com ) had watched my videos. I had been feeling pretty good about seeing sub-2 minute laptimes at Thunderhill, and was pretty stoked with the progress. Right up until Ken called and told me “we need to fix your braking. There’s 2 seconds to be had on your brakes.” Aw damn, I knew my braking needed work (that’s usually where I was getting passed), but I was a little doubtful about there being a full 2 seconds to find – but, I wasn’t going to argue with someone who does this with far better riders than myself, so we set up a plan to discuss some drills for my next day at the track. In addition, Catalyst Reaction Suspension had resprung my rear shock, so I was also

Summing It All Up - 2019-2021

Crashes, Bike Bits, and Confidence Backstory In early 2019 I thought I had finally turned a corner on my current bike, a 2017 ZX10R. The first AFM round of that year I went out and started dropping time like crazy, finally down to my previous personal best times at that track. The next round I showed up with high hopes, only to end up with an epic highside that launched me to the moon and over 50' before coming for a landing. For a very long time, I couldn't figure out what caused that to happen, and while I could come up with things that might have contributed, it didn't quite add up.  After that, however, a series of cross-country moves started taking place in my life, as did learning new tracks, new riders, new race organizations, new track providers - plus everything "normal" people deal with on major moves like that.   I made some progress over the remainder of 2019, slow, but saw improvements. 2020 saw ANOTHER cross country move to ANOTHER region of the US,