Skip to main content

AFM Round 6, 2017 Thunderhill - Revise Those Goals!



This weekend was one where I came into it with high expectations. You see, I was close – so close – to getting down to my “old” times at Sonoma, I was convinced I could accomplish it at Thunderhill. Thanks to Jim at Catalyst Reaction Suspension, I was finally getting the bike dialed in and my confidence was going up incrementally. I knew that would continue through this weekend, but was putting a lot of pressure on myself to perform up to *my* standards.

I failed in that regard.

Success was still gained.

Friday there was a trackday that I bought a pass to knowing I could really use the time to work on setting the bike up. On Jim’s suggestion, I had dropped the forks a bit, and I knew we’d be playing around with getting everything dialed in for this fast track. I arrived on Thursday evening, unloaded, then headed off for some sleep before the weekend kicked off.

I arrived bright and early to get the weekend started, determined to meet my own expectations. Fate seems to enjoy throwing things in my face here lately, however, and as I jumped on my scooter to head to registration for the day with my teammate on the back, I discovered in the distance of about 20 feet that the scooter front end had been dorked, badly, on the way down, and we ended up crashing. Honestly, there wasn’t much damage to either of us – other than the 1” wide strip of road rash that started above my knee and went all the way over it, to about 2 inches below the knee. Great. THAT was going to be a lot of fun in a hot, sweaty, suit all weekend.

All morning I was in my own head. I was going slow, I couldn’t get out of my funk, and I wasn’t going fast enough to reasonably believe that I might meet my (beat into my own head) standards. We were getting the bike dialed in, but my head just wasn’t cooperating.

That’s when I decided to take some time and just refocus. After a few minutes of clearing my mind and removing the badgering thoughts, I realized that I have never taken a day to just enjoy riding my bike. Every single time I’ve been on it I’ve beaten into myself how poorly I’m doing, everything I’m doing wrong, should be working on, not adjusting to, etc. I’ve never just gotten on it and enjoyed riding the damn thing.

My entire plan for the weekend changed.

I wrote down my new plan, which was basically “screw this shit. I’ve got an amazing bike, go out and ENJOY riding it. Fuck lap times, personal bests, placings, or trying to work on all these techniques. Fuck all of that, and just go out and enjoy your motorcycle, being at track, and finally being on your dream bike.”

I accomplished that new, revised, goal.

Friday afternoon was far more relaxed and we tweaked the settings a bit until I was pretty happy with it. Saturday practices the bike was feeling pretty good, but I was interested to see what it would feel like once in a race.

AFemme is my one “championship” race where I’ve got a solid shot at a podium. It’s a small grid, which helps, but there are days I’ve been competitive against some talented ladies. This was not one of those days. Jennifer and Valentine both brought their A game, and I just couldn’t turn on “go” mode. It was a clean, easy race, with no big mistakes, but a few things I knew were causing me issues that I’d need to revise my strategy on, particularly turn 9. I still finished on the podium with a 3rd place, although it was a fairly lonely race for the most part. Paige was making her debut return to the grid, so it was awesome to see her back out there and determined as ever to keep at this sport!



There was definitely a suspension issue that needed some tweaking though, so we got that adjusted and I was ready to roll out for Sunday’s races in the Open classes I’ve been running. DareDevil’s Jesus swung by the pit and helped me get the brakes bled that last little bit and made sure we were good to go.

First up was Open GP. Jesus offered to gap for me, which I appreciated in this race since Jen is out there and we’ve been duking it out most of the year. I got a decent start, and got to dice it up with a few bikes. I was pretty sure I heard and saw Jen in the area a few times, and Jesus was telling someone was right there, but at some point in the race she seemed to disappear, and my gapper told me I had some room. I had a couple novices I was dicing it up with, but had no idea what my finish in the race was. I FELT like I was going a lot faster than I had been, despite still starting my braking too early in some places, something I was determined to work on in the next race. I ended up beating a couple other experts, and managed a little “revenge” on Jennifer for her win on Saturday.



My second and last race of the weekend was Open Superstock. This race has me a bit further up the grid, but mostly because the grids have been small and people have skipped it. I got a decent start, but as usual, it didn’t take too long for the lead pack to disappear. The cool thing about this race, however, was that I was finally feeling comfortable and confident in the bike, enough so that I was finally willing to start pushing some of *my* limits on it. This didn’t do much to help lap times as things weren’t smooth or predictable yet, but I pushed my braking, my corner speed, and even the throttle a little more than I had been. Sure, I spooked myself a few times, but I felt confident even being willing to do that now that the bike was finally getting dialed in and I knew how it would respond. 

My teammate said that was the most comfortable and relaxed he’s seen me on this bike, and I felt that way too. 


Despite my original goals for the weekend still hanging out there in the breeze, I am happy with the  end result. Being willing to make myself uncomfortable on this bike is a HUGE step. This places me in a position to actually implement all these techniques and work on getting out of my comfort zone. This year I’ve beaten myself up, pretty much daily, about my lack of progress, but looking back at this point I see where a lot of that lack of progress stemmed from.

I may not have reached my pre-determined goals, but I smashed my revised goals, and have learned a lot this year about racing, riding, and everything that goes into making that happen. The year may not have been as successful in terms of race finishes and lap times as I had hoped for, but there have been a lot of lessons learned that will not be easily forgotten.

At this point my status for round 7 is a bit unknown – my hardware removal surgery went well, but I still must recover enough to be riding fit, but if at all possible, I’m hoping to be there – with some simple goals. That don’t involve a lap time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Back On The Grid! April 2024

WERA – Talladega Gran Prix – April 13-14, 2024 It’s been a hot minute since I’ve been on a grid. Between life “shitake,” trying to get my business going, essential gear backorders, and the puppy, I hadn’t been able to get on an actual grid for a couple years. Sure, a few trackdays in there, and plenty of miles in the north Georgia mountains, but actually gridding up, going on green, and battling to the checkered was an experience that was growing a bit dim. Racing makes the rest of life boring. Seriously. That first flag this weekend for A Superstock, as we all launched into turn 1, “oh, ya, THIS IS RACING!!!!” was the thought that ran through my head. I had no delusions of being a “front runner” unless the grid in a race was small. Other than the previous weekend with Precision, I hadn’t been to Tally in over 2 years, and have never had brag worthy laptimes. My goals were to drop a little more time off my times there, and I had a “reasonable stretch” goal in mind. With Tally being so

Thunderhill Trackday - Smashing That PB!!

Lately I haven’t been doing too many blog updates in regards to trackdays – mostly because if I’m at the track, a fair bit of time is often spent instructing or I’m simply working on implementing feedback. This last day at the track, however, warrants a bit of a write up. After the last AFM round, Ken Hill ( khcoaching.com ) had watched my videos. I had been feeling pretty good about seeing sub-2 minute laptimes at Thunderhill, and was pretty stoked with the progress. Right up until Ken called and told me “we need to fix your braking. There’s 2 seconds to be had on your brakes.” Aw damn, I knew my braking needed work (that’s usually where I was getting passed), but I was a little doubtful about there being a full 2 seconds to find – but, I wasn’t going to argue with someone who does this with far better riders than myself, so we set up a plan to discuss some drills for my next day at the track. In addition, Catalyst Reaction Suspension had resprung my rear shock, so I was also

Summing It All Up - 2019-2021

Crashes, Bike Bits, and Confidence Backstory In early 2019 I thought I had finally turned a corner on my current bike, a 2017 ZX10R. The first AFM round of that year I went out and started dropping time like crazy, finally down to my previous personal best times at that track. The next round I showed up with high hopes, only to end up with an epic highside that launched me to the moon and over 50' before coming for a landing. For a very long time, I couldn't figure out what caused that to happen, and while I could come up with things that might have contributed, it didn't quite add up.  After that, however, a series of cross-country moves started taking place in my life, as did learning new tracks, new riders, new race organizations, new track providers - plus everything "normal" people deal with on major moves like that.   I made some progress over the remainder of 2019, slow, but saw improvements. 2020 saw ANOTHER cross country move to ANOTHER region of the US,